Should the age of consent be lowered to 15? Watch

thoyub
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
Why does that make them sluts?
It's not the age that makes the difference, it's the nature of the sexual activity.
A 15 year old girl who has sex with 10 guys at her school and gives head to the entire boys football team will be considered a slut by many people.

A 15 year old girl who has sex with her boyfriend who she has been with for a long time will not be considered a slut.

If all that happened was girls havig sex with their boyfriends who they loved (or boys having sex with their girlfriends) I wouldn't mind the age of consent being lowered to 14! But that sadly doesn't happen, young people will have sex with many different people and vulnerable people will be in danger of being exploited.
thoyub
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Autistic Merit)
Still in Year 8 for Pete's sake! I hadn't even had any nicotine or alcohol by then let alone sex!
You must have gone to a good school...
Maths and cheesecake
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You know in Islam the age of consent is on case by case bases, but 15 is the set age because by this age we are all sexually mature.

however mentally/emotionally mature is a different thing, because a 21 year old could still be regarded as a child if he is completely irresponsible and immature, whiles a 12 year old who take care of his disabled mother could be regarded as mature and responsible.

Also in Islam, at the age of 15 is when your record is started and your sins will be counted.
Autistic Merit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Maths and cheesecake)
You know in Islam the age of consent is on case by case bases, but 15 is the set age because by this age we are all sexually mature.
Aisha...
Maths and cheesecake
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Aisha...
who is Aisha ?
Autistic Merit
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Maths and cheesecake)
who is Aisha ?
A'isha from the Qu'ran. Don't be such a pedant about spelling. :rolleyes:
username91207
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by thoyub)
Maybe those girls should look at themselves.
Why only the girls? Why shouldn't the guys who see girls as sperm depositories also be looking at themselves?
thoyub
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by snowyowl)
Why only the girls? Why shouldn't the guys who see girls as sperm depositories also be looking at themselves?
Yes, they could learn to ignore it when girls throw themselves all over them in a really trashy way and offer them sex and things like that.

It's a perfectly easy thing to ignore, why didn't I think of that???
username91207
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, they could learn to ignore it when girls throw themselves all over them in a really trashy way and offer them sex and things like that.

It's a perfectly easy thing to ignore, why didn't I think of that???
So what you're basically saying is..

Girls: do not act on your sexual urges. Restrain yourselves.
Boys: feel free to act on your sexual urges and then blame the girls for being as up for it as you are. Them filthy sluts.

Seems legit. :rolleyes:
thoyub
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So what you're basically saying is..

Girls: do not act on your sexual urges. Restrain yourselves.
Boys: feel free to act on your sexual urges and then blame the girls for being as up for it as you are. Them filthy sluts.

Seems legit. :rolleyes:
No, i'm saying that if girls act like sex objects, boys are going to be more likely to see them as sex objects especially if they are young.
Octopus_Garden
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Correction:

Every woman who has sex before they are mature enough to know all the pros and cons, and all the repercussions and responsibilities, is a slut.
Sounds more like a woman with reduced mental capacity being exploited than "sluttishness"...

This is a blog entry about a man of 41, who was declared incapable of giving sexual consent, which you may find interesting. http://ukhumanrightsblog.com/2011/02...nned-from-sex/
username91207
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No, i'm saying that if girls act like sex objects, boys are going to be more likely to see them as sex objects especially if they are young.
And I'm saying that if boys treat them like sex objects (causing other girls to also offer themselves sexually because they feel this is the way to get male attention) then the boys are just as much to blame.
thoyub
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
And I'm saying that if boys treat them like sex objects (causing other girls to also offer themselves sexually because they feel this is the way to get male attention) then the boys are just as much to blame.
I take your point. I don't think girls should be acting like sex objects though and boys just as much shouldn't be treating them like sex objects or just thinking only about sex.
mimi112
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
it's 13 in spain. i remember a thread on another forum about guys in their late 20's picking up their gf's from school.

''8 year olds, dude''
username91207
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I take your point. I don't think girls should be acting like sex objects though and boys just as much shouldn't be treating them like sex objects or just thinking only about sex.
Then we can agree.
thoyub
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Then we can agree.
Yes.
bananaminion
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The natural result of sex is getting pregnant, and having a baby. Of course, this doesn't always happen when you have sex, and I'm not saying there's anything wrong with contraception... however, that is what happens.
Now, is a 15-year old really ready to have a child? Is a 15-year old girl ready to carry a baby inside of her for nine months, have it pop out, excruciatingly painfully, of her not-fully developed body, and look after it for the rest of her life? Is a 15-year old boy ready to look after that girl for nine months and then take on responsibility for their baby for the rest of his life?
No way.
Getting pregnant is always, however careful one is, the risk. And apart from abortion being killing your own unborn child, with all the emotional **** that'll bring, it is also dangerous to the mother, and dangerous to the future possibility of her ever having children.

Babies and sex are inextricably connected, that is why the age of consent should not be lowered to 15.
lovelycup7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by bananaminion)
The natural result of sex is getting pregnant, and having a baby. Of course, this doesn't always happen when you have sex, and I'm not saying there's anything wrong with contraception... however, that is what happens.
Now, is a 15-year old really ready to have a child? Is a 15-year old girl ready to carry a baby inside of her for nine months, have it pop out, excruciatingly painfully, of her not-fully developed body, and look after it for the rest of her life? Is a 15-year old boy ready to look after that girl for nine months and then take on responsibility for their baby for the rest of his life?
No way.
Getting pregnant is always, however careful one is, the risk. And apart from abortion being killing your own unborn child, with all the emotional **** that'll bring, it is also dangerous to the mother, and dangerous to the future possibility of her ever having children.

Babies and sex are inextricably connected, that is why the age of consent should not be lowered to 15.
Amen :yep:
tazarooni89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Personally, I don't agree with the fact that we call it the "age of consent". A person's consent may be valid before the age of 15/16, and may not be valid after that age, depending on how informed they are about what they are consenting to. Judging whether or not a person's consent was valid can be done on a case-by-case basis whenever charges or brought up. They don't necessarily have anything to do with age per se. Large volumes of alcohol, coercion, mental illness, lack of understanding about sex, or lying about whether or not you're on the pill might invalidate consent.

We might still have, for whatever reason, a minimum age at which sex is legal to participate in. But it's not an issue of consent, in my opinion. I would say for example, that it might be a good idea to prohibit sex while a person is still in compulsory education, as the pursuit of it (and the possibility of pregnancy) could interfere with that education.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (425)
18.69%
The paper was reasonable (1075)
47.27%
Not feeling great about that exam... (504)
22.16%
It was TERRIBLE (270)
11.87%

Watched Threads