gluten free birthday baking idea ? Watch

nic-nac
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
One of my housemates is a coeliac. What do you recommend I bake for her birthday? A recipe you've tried and tested would be great. I don't have a cake tin, so I could make something in cupcake cases. I do have dishes suitable for tray-bake recipes such as brownies. Or I could make a cake in one, then cut it in half and use the two halves as two layers with jam/buttercream in the middle ?
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was just going to say a brownie cake would be awesome :teeth:
nic-nac
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
I was just going to say a brownie cake would be awesome :teeth:
But brownies are hard enough to bake with normal flour. I've tried making GF cookies and they did not smell or look like cookies should :eek:
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nic-nac)
But brownies are hard enough to bake with normal flour. I've tried making GF cookies and they did not smell or look like cookies should :eek:
Look into recipes that substitute the flour for ground almonds/almond meal rather than using gluten free flour, my old flatmate made them not because we had a coeliac, but just because they tasted better. I do not like almonds, but you couldn't taste it at all and they were pretty damn delicious :yep:
Tyraell
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You can get gluten free flour which isn't (too) much more expensive. You just substitute it in normally, and it doesn't taste different.

Alternatively, you could try a meringue cake or something. I made one of these for a gluten-free friend:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6...h-strawberries
nic-nac
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tyraell)
You can get gluten free flour which isn't (too) much more expensive. You just substitute it in normally, and it doesn't taste different.

Alternatively, you could try a meringue cake or something. I made one of these for a gluten-free friend:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6...h-strawberries
I tried using a normal recipe for cookies but replacing the flour. The first batch were a disaster, the 2nd batch were edible, but nothing like what cookies should be !
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm wheat free and have pavlova instead of birthday cake...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (423)
30.26%
The paper was reasonable (551)
39.41%
Not feeling great about that exam... (239)
17.1%
It was TERRIBLE (185)
13.23%

Watched Threads