Parametric equations help! Watch

Student10011
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So let's say I have the equation xy=c^2,with a general point p(ct,c/t), where c is a constant.

Obviously the value of t can vary for the set of parametric equations. But when we find a tangent to the general point on P, say we get t^2-10ct-5=0) surely the value of t for this equation becomes a constant, since this tangent is a cartesian equation?

If that's right, let me know, if not please correct me,

thanks!
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Student10011)
So let's say I have the equation xy=c^2,with a general point p(ct,c/t), where c is a constant.

Obviously the value of t can vary for the set of parametric equations. But when we find a tangent to the general point on P, say we get t^2-10ct-5=0) surely the value of t for this equation becomes a constant, since this tangent is a cartesian equation?

thanks!
Not really sure what you're asking here!

t is a parameter , which means that as its value varies you get a different point on the curve.

At a general point (ct, c/t) the equation of the tangent wil depend on t, but as t changes (and the point moves around the curve) the equation of the tangent will change too!
TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

thanks!
t does not become a constant but you can find the value of t at the point of interest
brianeverit
  • Study Helper
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

thanks!
I don;t know where you have got t^2-10ct-5=0 from. The equation of tangent at (ct,c/t) is t^2y=-x+2ct
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (423)
30.26%
The paper was reasonable (551)
39.41%
Not feeling great about that exam... (239)
17.1%
It was TERRIBLE (185)
13.23%

Watched Threads