Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi

i am at my final year at school so i am at the stage of picking what i want to study for A levels. which subject do i need to pick i am currently doing triple science most likely to get B. is pharmacist a good job i understand the pay is around £30,000-£35,000 .

thanks

ReputationRep:
    What would be the best A levels to take to become a pharmacist

ReputationRep:
    chem, bio, maths and something else, your choice. aims for A and B grades.

it's an ok job. the pay is decent, but the job market is very saturated now and many will not get a job. also they have the whole 'med reject' rep which i imagine gets annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry is essential, then Biology/Maths/Physics (for Nottingham at least). I'd go with Chemistry, Biology and then whatever else, personally.

The salary depends on whether you go into community, hospital or industrial pharmacy (or research).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies

I've read somewhere that there is a lot of jobs and in time there will be more demand for pharmacists. Is this true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shabz(1997))
    Thanks for the replies

I've read somewhere that there is a lot of jobs and in time there will be more demand for pharmacists. Is this true?
    Not necessarily, a lot of people are worried about the future of pharmacy because with three new pharmacy schools just opening, by the time I (and you) would graduate there'll be a ridiculous number of people competing for pre-registration places and then jobs, a lot of companies are also cutting pay too especially for locums. If you're wanting to go into it for job prospects and pay, don't. If like me, you want to go into it because it's something that really interests you, you want to work with people and you can see yourself doing it for the rest of your life then by all means go for it, definitely get work experience in community and hospital pharmacy before you decide on it though. There was a thread on here not long ago warning people against pharmacy and that'll probably have more details on the pay/competition for pre-reg places and jobs, but like I said if you aren't just in it for the money and reading that thread doesn't change your mind then by all means go for it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 17, 2013

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.