Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I applied for uni on 23rd October and last week had an offer from Manchester and no news from the others i applied to. Well last year (year 12) I had a fairly bad case of postviral fatigue syndrome which I feel had a considerable effect on my studies but not absolutely massive. Well here's the thing, my school failed to mention this in my reference apart from that i 'felt unwell before my latin exam' (i had a migraine going into the exam). I'm quite angry as I discussed this going on my reference with my form tutor in depth and she agreed that she would make a point of mentioning it, which she failed to do. So here's my question: is it acceptable to email my 4 remaining universities with this information? could I get my doctor to do this as he was the one who sorted out consideration for my exams and is so much more reliable than my school which has little to no pastoral care? I'm not trying to tell my universities that I was really really ill last year but I feel that the circumstances should be looked at especially due to the severity and frequency of my migraines. I don't want consideration on my A2 grades as they wont be effected, just my ASs. Should i not bother and hope for the best instead?

ReputationRep:
    It would look better coming from your form tutor. Given that she failed to do what she said she would do, try asking her to email the universities direct.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Ideally your referee should do this. If they won't then inform the unis yourself, making sure that you stress you have proof from your doctor. It might even look better if you phrase it as "this is what happened, where shall i post my doctor's note to?"
    It's also best to do it sooner rather than later.

However, if the exam board has already taken it into consideration you might find that the uni refuses to give further consideration to, as this is essentially compensating twice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Ideally your referee should do this. If they won't then inform the unis yourself, making sure that you stress you have proof from your doctor. It might even look better if you phrase it as "this is what happened, where shall i post my doctor's note to?"
    It's also best to do it sooner rather than later.

However, if the exam board has already taken it into consideration you might find that the uni refuses to give further consideration to, as this is essentially compensating twice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I actually have a hard copy of my medical records, could i just copy these and send them to my unis? and I was going to say that I've already had about 2% of consideration, i acknowledge they may not want to give me consideration twice, I was thinking they should know the full story is all, thanks for the help
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by IShootLikeAGirl)
    I actually have a hard copy of my medical records, could i just copy these and send them to my unis? and I was going to say that I've already had about 2% of consideration, i acknowledge they may not want to give me consideration twice, I was thinking they should know the full story is all, thanks for the help
    You don't really want to send them a copy of your medical records, as that's presumably a lot of information. They won't have time to read all that so sending it straight away is rather presumptuous. It would be better to send them a short summary and say more info is available if they want it. They also then have to reply, and you know they've got it and read something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IShootLikeAGirl)
    Don't send a copy of your medical records straight off. That isn't the sort of thing you want just anyone reading.

I think emailing the universities your situation, and explaining you have evidence to back this up is a good course of action. It is a real shame your referee hasn't put it in the reference like she agreed to, though.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for all the advice everyone, i now have a logical plan of action, can't be thankful enough shame my form tutor is a bit crap but shes overworked as has another form and classes to teach so don't blame her much

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.