Year 13 module status:
    C3: finished (self taught)
    C4: finished
    S2: finished
    M2: last chapter to go
    D2: just started
    FP2: just started

(Edexcel)

As you can see, I'll have the large majority of my M/FM A2 modules finished by Christmas, though I've been told FP2 may take up to mid-January. In the A2 course so far, nothing has really challenged me, but we've only just started FP2 so that may change.

This month I also started STEP preparation (I was preparing for the MAT before) and found that it takes up quite a bit of my time, almost like another AS. I've also decided that I'm definitely going to do FP3 after finished FP2 in preparation for maths at uni, so from what I can see this leaves me with two options:

1) Spend the extra spare time next year focusing on STEP and my other subject (physics, which I am not as confident on as I am with maths)

2) Pick up AFM, since I'll be doing FP3 so may aswell do M3 and S3 to get an AS

I taught myself most of FP1 and C3 so I am definitely able to self teach, plus there's always TSR if I get stuck I feel like I'm not stretched enough by A2 FM, so the only time I'm doing challenging maths is when I'm doing STEP, and I'm not sure there's enough STEP to last me from January to May. Plus, if I stopped wasting time in the evenings, I'm certain I can fit all of this in. I'll be sitting STEP I and II this summer.

What do you guys think? Any advice? My teacher has said it's up to me, so I thought I'd come on here
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Mike_Ross)
    Hi all,

Basically, this is what my situation looks like right now:

Year 12 modules UMS:
    C1: 100
    C2: 95
    FP1: 92 (self taught)
    D1: 92
    S1: 90
    M1: 80 (bad day )

Year 13 module status:

(Edexcel)

As you can see, I'll have the large majority of my M/FM A2 modules finished by Christmas, though I've been told FP2 may take up to mid-January. In the A2 course so far, nothing has really challenged me, but we've only just started FP2 so that may change.

This month I also started STEP preparation (I was preparing for the MAT before) and found that it takes up quite a bit of my time, almost like another AS. I've also decided that I'm definitely going to do FP3 after finished FP2 in preparation for maths at uni, so from what I can see this leaves me with two options:

1) Spend the extra spare time next year focusing on STEP and my other subject (physics, which I am not as confident on as I am with maths)

I taught myself most of FP1 and C3 so I am definitely able to self teach, plus there's always TSR if I get stuck I feel like I'm not stretched enough by A2 FM, so the only time I'm doing challenging maths is when I'm doing STEP, and I'm not sure there's enough STEP to last me from January to May. Plus, if I stopped wasting time in the evenings, I'm certain I can fit all of this in. I'll be sitting STEP I and II this summer.

What do you guys think? Any advice? My teacher has said it's up to me, so I thought I'd come on here
    There are more than 1000 STEP questions available so I doubt whether you will run out of them.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Basically, this is what my situation looks like right now:

Year 12 modules UMS:
    C1: 100
    C2: 95
    FP1: 92 (self taught)
    D1: 92
    S1: 90
    M1: 80 (bad day )

Year 13 module status:

(Edexcel)

I would certainly do FP3 - it is interesting

Then I would focus on STEP - assuming you intend to apply for maths

If you are looking at physics or Nat Sci then more M could be useful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brianeverit)
    There are more than 1000 STEP questions available so I doubt whether you will run out of them.
    Haha I'm glad, it was just that I'd just seen people around here telling others to 'pace themselves' to avoid running out. Thanks!

(Original post by TenOfThem)
    I would certainly do FP3 - it is interesting

Then I would focus on STEP - assuming you intend to apply for maths

If you are looking at physics or Nat Sci then more M could be useful
    Yeah I've applied for maths, thanks for the advice! How much harder would you say FP3 is, if at all, than FP2? I've only had a brief look at it, there seems to be a lot more content than FP2!

ReputationRep:
    Haha I'm glad, it was just that I'd just seen people around here telling others to 'pace themselves' to avoid running out. Thanks!

Yeah I've applied for maths, thanks for the advice! How much harder would you say FP3 is, if at all, than FP2? I've only had a brief look at it, there seems to be a lot more content than FP2!
    I love FP3

To give a context - I fought it to my daughter in a weekend after M2 bombed - she did not do brilliantly on the exam but she did get 60something (as expected) but it was literally just a weekend to get through - she is a less skilled mathematician than you seem to be

ReputationRep:
    I love FP3

To give a context - I fought it to my daughter in a weekend after M2 bombed - she did not do brilliantly on the exam but she did get 60something (as expected) but it was literally just a weekend to get through - she is a less skilled mathematician than you seem to be
    Ah okay so it's not something ridiculous (though I was almost hoping it was!)

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay so it's not something ridiculous (though I was almost hoping it was!)
    Not ridiculous - no harder than the other FPs

Stick to STEP

ReputationRep:
    Not ridiculous - no harder than the other FPs

Stick to STEP
    I shall seriously consider it, thank you

Anyone else want to add anything?

ReputationRep:
    I shall seriously consider it, thank you

Anyone else want to add anything?
    Read around as well

What maths have you been reading

ReputationRep:
    Read around as well

What maths have you been reading
    I assume you mean books? So far I've read Simon Singh's 'Fermat's Last Theorem', James Gleick's 'Chaos', Roger Penrose's 'The Emperor's New Mind', and I've just started John Derbyshire's 'Prime Obsession'.

Any recommendations?

ReputationRep:
    I assume you mean books? So far I've read Simon Singh's 'Fermat's Last Theorem', James Gleick's 'Chaos', Roger Penrose's 'The Emperor's New Mind', and I've just started John Derbyshire's 'Prime Obsession'.

Any recommendations?
    They are all good

I would recommend http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gödel,_Escher,_Bach as it takes mathematics into a wider context

ReputationRep:
    They are all good

I would recommend http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gödel,_Escher,_Bach as it takes mathematics into a wider context
    I actually have that lying on my shelf haha, it's so long it looks really daunting! It was silly of me to buy the book without checking its length. I wasn't (and still am not) even certain if this is suitable for a student who isn't yet at university?

ReputationRep:
    I actually have that lying on my shelf haha, it's so long it looks really daunting! It was silly of me to buy the book without checking its length. I wasn't (and still am not) even certain if this is suitable for a student who isn't yet at university?
    Maybe not - there is some stuff you will not recognise - but it is very readable

ReputationRep:
    Maybe not - there is some stuff you will not recognise - but it is very readable
    I'll save it for last then, after I've read this one and Anathem - another huge book, but that one actually seems like it's doable.

ReputationRep:
    I'll save it for last then, after I've read this one and Anathem - another huge book, but that one actually seems like it's doable.
    Another thought - are you too Maths at the moment - why not try something like Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell

ReputationRep:
    Another thought - are you too Maths at the moment - why not try something like Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
    Yes, this looks really interesting! I'll add that to the Christmas list

Do you know of any books that relate to both maths and philosophy? I talked about Platonism in my PS so just in case it came up in an interview or anything, some basic knowledge would be good (doesn't have to be specifically about Platonism, but maths and philosophy in general)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, this looks really interesting! I'll add that to the Christmas list

Do you know of any books that relate to both maths and philosophy? I talked about Platonism in my PS so just in case it came up in an interview or anything, some basic knowledge would be good (doesn't have to be specifically about Platonism, but maths and philosophy in general)

Not my area really but any history of maths books will include philosophical ideas

ReputationRep:
    Not my area really but any history of maths books will include philosophical ideas
    Cool, thank you for your help

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 17, 2013

University open days

• University of Derby
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evening - Derby Campus Postgraduate
    Tue, 22 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.