Ideal university + non-ideal course or non-ideal university + ideal course? Watch

BlackJackson
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
My ideal course is Aerospace Engineering. I applied to 4 universities for Aerospace Engineering and 1 university for Mechanical Engineering - UCL being the Mechanical Engineering choice as they don't offer Aerospace Engineering. It is a university I have always wanted to go to and is much more reputable than my other 4 choices.

Is it worth sacrificing my ideal course to go to a university which has an outstanding international reputation or do I go to a less well renowned university studying a course I would enjoy more?

I know the former would be much better for my future, however I would like to enjoy my time at university as well.

Any thoughts?
Damsel in distress
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by BlackJackson)
My ideal course is Aerospace Engineering. I applied to 4 universities for Aerospace Engineering and 1 university for Mechanical Engineering - UCL being the Mechanical Engineering choice as they don't offer Aerospace Engineering. It is a university I have always wanted to go to and is much more reputable than my other 4 choices.

Is it worth sacrificing my ideal course to go to a university which has an outstanding international reputation or do I go to a less well renowned university studying a course I would enjoy more?

I know the former would be much better for my future, however I would like to enjoy my time at university as well.

Any thoughts?
If there isn't much difference between the courses, then go for UCL if you think you'll like it there (not just because it'll be good for your future) but if the courses are very different and you also believe you'll enjoy much more studying aerospace engineering than mechanical then it is extraordinarily pointless to go to a university just for its name. I know it's a privilege to be able to go to a well renowned university but really, that doesn't mean graduates from other universities simply fail in life. It simply comes down to you and whether you are hardworking and talented enough! It's not a make-or-break scenario, as much as we are deceived into believing! Good luck with your decision.
Damsel in distress
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Also, if you're worried about the reputation, why don't you check out the aerospace engineering programs in other top universities?
yennibubs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ideal course > ideal university. for me personally
Engineering firms generally don't care too much about which university you get your degree from, and I assume your other choices are decent universities anyway
littlesmurfette
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm sorry- but why would you do a degree your not entirely happy with doing just to go to a certain university. That doesn't make much sense if i'm honest.
WGR
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do the course you prefer. University reputation doesn't matter so long as you get a good grade. This is especially true for accredited vocational degrees such as engineering. I have the grades for Oxbridge but I have decided that I want to go to a local ex-poly to do engineering because I prefer the atmosphere and the way the course is taught.
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What are your other options if I may ask?
NidaJaffri
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yea man, go for UCL and then do your masters or PhD focused on Aeronautical Engineering. Besides, UCL's Physics department is very astrophysics-concentrated so just keep in touch with them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (387)
30.94%
The paper was reasonable (491)
39.25%
Not feeling great about that exam... (217)
17.35%
It was TERRIBLE (156)
12.47%

Watched Threads