simple series question Watch

thorn0123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
  \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty (-1)^{n-1}a_n where  (a_n) is a monotone decreasing sequence of nonnegative numbers with  a_n \rightarrow 0 by the alternating series test, series of this form always converge.

Show that  0 \leq \displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^\infty (-1)^{n-1}a_n \leq a_1

There is a hint in the question:

if  (S_N) denotes the sequence of partial sums, consider the subsequences  (S_{2N}) and  (S_{2N-1}) can you show that one is decreasing while the other is increasing?

Well, firstly, I don't understand what this hint is getting at, if I could show that one is increasing while the other is decreasing then I wouldn't know how to proceed from there. Despite that, I cannot even show one is decreasing while the other is increasing, here is my attempt:

S_N = \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^N (-1)^{n-1} a_n = \sum_{n=1}^N(-1)^{2n-1}a_{2n} + \sum_{n=1}^N(-1)^{2n} a_{2n+1} = \sum_{n=1}^N (a_{2n+1} - a_{2n}) since  a_{2n} \geq a_{2n+1}  S_N \leq 0 (I find this rather strange so I'm assuming ive gone wrong already)

now,  S_{2N} = \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{2N} (a_{2n+1} - a_{2n}) \geq S_{2(N+1)} so  S_{2N} is decreasing

also,  S_{2N-1} = \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{2N-1} (a_{2n+1} - a_{2n}) \geq S_{2(N+1)-1} so  S_{2N-1} is also decreasing

now I didn't even manage to solve the hint x_x,

any help is appreciated - thanks.
Shillington
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by thorn0123)
Let  S = \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty (-1)^{n-1}a_n where  (a_n) is a monotone decreasing sequence of nonnegative numbers with  a_n \rightarrow 0 by the alternating series test, series of this form always converge.

Show that  0 \leq S \leq a_1

There is a hint in the question:

if  (S_N) denotes the sequence of partial sums, consider the subsequences  (S_{2N}) and  (S_{2N-1}) can you show that one is decreasing while the other is increasing?
Showing the hint is true:

First of all, don't get sloppy with your notation. You've got Ns that should be infinities and an n=1 that should be an n=0.

Now. Don't bother writing out any sigmas, just follow the logic:

a_n is a monotone decreasing sequence of non negative numbers with a_n \to 0. An example sequence of this is a_n=\frac{1}{n}. Now, the summation is a summation of the following sequence:

(-1)^{n-1}a_n

Now, try out what's happening with S_2N and S_2N+1 with this sequence to try and get a feel for how to show the hint is true for the arbitrary sequence.

Spoiler:
Show
The trick to showing that S_2N is increasing is to show that S_{2N}=S_{2N-2}+(a_{2N-1}-a_{2N})\geq S_{2N-2}. So if you can show that a_{2N-1}-a_{2N}\geq 0 then you're done!

Using the hint:

We know that the  lim S_N =  lim S_{2N} = lim S_{2N+1} (by easy results). Either we will always have S_2N>S_2N+1 or the other way around. As one of these sequences is decreasing and the other is increasing, we know that S_N will be sandwiched between the two (for some appropriate choice of N_0 lets say).

Can you fill in the details?
thorn0123
Rep:
?
Hi, first of all thank for you for your reply.

(Original post by Shillington)

First of all, don't get sloppy with your notation. You've got Ns that should be infinities and an n=1 that should be an n=0.
Could you please specify where? I looked over it again and I don't see where there should be a n = 0 and an infinity sign instead of N. S_N denotes the partial sums. edit: edited my first post to make it more clear

Now. Don't bother writing out any sigmas, just follow the logic:

a_n is a monotone decreasing sequence of non negative numbers with a_n \to 0. An example sequence of this is a_n=\frac{1}{n}. Now, the summation is a summation of the following sequence:

(-1)^{n-1}a_n

Now, try out what's happening with S_2N and S_2N+1 with this sequence to try and get a feel for how to show the hint is true for the arbitrary sequence.
I tried that sequence  a_n = 1/n to start with.  S_{2N} = \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{2N}(-1)^{n-1}\dfrac{1}{n} right (for a_n = 1/n)? I don't see how this could be increase, while S_{2N-1} could possible be decreasing. To me, S_{2N} is summing to 2N while S_{2N-1} is summing to one term less - I could see it if we replace "n" by "2n" but that's not what the question says.
thorn0123
Rep:
?
(Original post by ztibor)
(Original post by ghostwalker)
Anyone ?
Shillington
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, first of all thank for you for your reply.

Could you please specify where? I looked over it again and I don't see where there should be a n = 0 and an infinity sign instead of N. S_N denotes the partial sums. edit: edited my first post to make it more clear
You're right here, there shouldn't be infiinites, but the Ns are all over the place. On the RHS you've got a_2N terms and on the left you only go up to a_N. On the LHS you've got an a_1 term, on the right you have no term. The long LaTeX line is clearly incorrect.

I tried that sequence  a_n = 1/n to start with.  S_{2N} = \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^N (-1)^{n-1}\dfrac{1}{n} right (for a_n = 1/n)? I don't see how this could be increase, while S_{2N-1} could possible be decreasing. To me, S_{2N} is summing to 2N while S_{2N-1} is summing to one term less - I could see it if we replace "n" by "2n" but that's not what the question says.
What are the first few terms?

S_1=1
S_3=5/6 (=0.8333333...)
S_5=0.7833333..

S_2=0.5
S_4=0.5833333
S_6=0.616666...

When you say you actually tried this first, what did you mean?

Finally, try and draw a picture of what's happening. I think this is the most intuitive way of seeing what's going on.
thorn0123
Rep:
?
You're right here, there shouldn't be infiinites, but the Ns are all over the place. On the RHS you've got a_2N terms and on the left you only go up to a_N. On the LHS you've got an a_1 term, on the right you have no term. The long LaTeX line is clearly incorrect.

What are the first few terms?

S_1=1
S_3=5/6 (=0.8333333...)
S_5=0.7833333..

S_2=0.5
S_4=0.5833333
S_6=0.616666...

When you say you actually tried this first, what did you mean?

Finally, try and draw a picture of what's happening. I think this is the most intuitive way of seeing what's going on.
Sorry, I just tried to think about it really without writing down anything - your numerical example helped.

One more query to clarify:

Spoiler:
Show
The trick to showing that S_2N is increasing is to show that S_{2N}=S_{2N-2}+(a_{2N-1}-a_{2N})\geq S_{2N-2}. So if you can show that a_{2N-1}-a_{2N}\geq 0 then you're done!
How did you get S_{2N}=S_{2N-2}+(a_{2N-1}-a_{2N})\geq S_{2N-2}? Is it because when n is even (e.g. 2N) we get a negative term so  -a_{2N} and when n is odd we get a positive term e..g  a_{2N-1} ?
Shillington
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How did you get S_{2N}=S_{2N-2}+(a_{2N-1}-a_{2N})\geq S_{2N-2}? Is it because when n is even (e.g. 2N) we get a negative term so  -a_{2N} and when n is odd we get a positive term e..g  a_{2N-1} ?
Yes.
thorn0123
Rep:
?
Yes.
Right,

so I have managed to prove that  S_{2N} is increasing and  S_{2N-1} is decreasing, now I'm trying to put it all together:

heres what I'm thinking so far:

(S_{2N}) = S_2, S_4, ... S_N, ... , S_{2N}
 (S_{2N-1}) = S_1, S_3, ... S_N, ..., S_{2N-1}

so  S_{2N-1} < S_{N} < S_{2N} but not sure where to really go from here

I have read your first post again and have some questions on it:

Either we will always have S_2N>S_2N+1 or the other way around.
I don't understand why you're pointing this out - and is there no way to determine "which way round" it is?

anyhelp on where to go from here,

thanks
Shillington
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have read your first post again and have some questions on it:

I don't understand why you're pointing this out - and is there no way to determine "which way round" it is?

anyhelp on where to go from here,

thanks
Covering this first:

The set up we have here is that we have a convergent sequence a_n which has two subsequences a_{2n} and a_{2n+1}. Because a_n converges, both a_2n and a_2n+1 also converge (all to the same number). We know that a_2n is increasing and that a_2n+1 is decreasing (the reason that I said "or the other way around" is that I hadn't bothered to work out which way around it was at the time of posting).

If you had to draw a picture of these three sequences, you'd have a sequence of dots converging to a point. Half of the dots would be converging from below, the other half would be converging from above. So can you see that we will always have that S_2M<S_2N+1 (where I mean to have M and N, as all that matters is the parity).

You can prove this as follows:

Suppose that it doesn't hold for some M and N. Then for all subsequent terms, the odd S's will be strictly below the even S's, hence the two subsequences can't converge to the same number, contradiction. (Obviously I leave you to fill in a few more words around this.)

Right,

so I have managed to prove that  S_{2N} is increasing and  S_{2N-1} is decreasing, now I'm trying to put it all together:

heres what I'm thinking so far:

(S_{2N}) = S_2, S_4, ... S_N, ... , S_{2N}
 (S_{2N-1}) = S_1, S_3, ... S_N, ..., S_{2N-1}

so but not sure where to really go from here
The line  S_{2N-1} &lt; S_{N} &lt; S_{2N} is not true. If N is odd then the S_N term will be greater than the S_2N+1 term. Have a go at some numerical examples to see that this is true.

Here is a summary of what you know that should let you finish off the question:

S_2N+1>=S_2M for any M and N.

S_1>=S_2N+1 for all N.

S_2<=S_N for all N.

Now you need to show that S_2>=0 and you're done.

Note that you've made this whole question into a bit of a mountain, drawing a decent picture of the sequence (-1)^n+1*a_n would have probably given you more intuition than pushing around notation.
thorn0123
Rep:
?
Covering this first:

The set up we have here is that we have a convergent sequence a_n which has two subsequences a_{2n} and a_{2n+1}. Because a_n converges, both a_2n and a_2n+1 also converge (all to the same number). We know that a_2n is increasing and that a_2n+1 is decreasing (the reason that I said "or the other way around" is that I hadn't bothered to work out which way around it was at the time of posting).

If you had to draw a picture of these three sequences, you'd have a sequence of dots converging to a point. Half of the dots would be converging from below, the other half would be converging from above. So can you see that we will always have that S_2M<S_2N+1 (where I mean to have M and N, as all that matters is the parity).

You can prove this as follows:

Suppose that it doesn't hold for some M and N. Then for all subsequent terms, the odd S's will be strictly below the even S's, hence the two subsequences can't converge to the same number, contradiction. (Obviously I leave you to fill in a few more words around this.)

The line  S_{2N-1} &lt; S_{N} &lt; S_{2N} is not true. If N is odd then the S_N term will be greater than the S_2N+1 term. Have a go at some numerical examples to see that this is true.

Here is a summary of what you know that should let you finish off the question:

S_2N+1>=S_2M for any M and N.

S_1>=S_2N+1 for all N.

S_2<=S_N for all N.

Now you need to show that S_2>=0 and you're done.

Note that you've made this whole question into a bit of a mountain, drawing a decent picture of the sequence (-1)^n+1*a_n would have probably given you more intuition than pushing around notation.
yeah you're right - just drew a diagram and it all become pretty clear.

Appreciate all your help, thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (73)
21.86%
The paper was reasonable (147)
44.01%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
17.96%
It was TERRIBLE (54)
16.17%

Watched Threads