Laptop/PC HELP for 2014! WILL REP++ Watch

ATsimpson93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello, Money is very tight for me so bear this in mind, I can barely scrape enough for rent together. Im starting a business course in 2014 and I will be staying in halls,

I have a desktop PC at home which is mine is has word excel etc on it which I can take with me.

But do I need a laptop? is this essential? I cant really find money to fund one at the moment. I have a net-book but that isnt practical.

Thanks,

x
ATsimpson93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
bump...
TheNacho63
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Having a nice reliable USB stick would be useful in your case
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ATsimpson93)
Hello, Money is very tight for me so bear this in mind, I can barely scrape enough for rent together. Im starting a business course in 2014 and I will be staying in halls,

I have a desktop PC at home which is mine is has word excel etc on it which I can take with me.

But do I need a laptop? is this essential? I cant really find money to fund one at the moment. I have a net-book but that isnt practical.

Thanks,

x
As long as you can take the PC with you then no you don't need a laptop. It just means if you want to do work at university eg. library then you'll have to find a free computer (how hard that is depends on time of day & how many computers the uni has, generally I don't have have a problem). Just remember though you will need to pay for things like a deposit & kitchen appliances before you go to uni & get your loan.
Stephanie_12
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You shouldn't need one, most students have desktops anyway. I was surprised when I got to uni because there wasn't many people with computers at all. The campus will have plenty of computers on site anyhow, so take your desktop and don't worry about it.
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Stephanie_12)
You shouldn't need one, most students have desktops anyway. I was surprised when I got to uni because there wasn't many people with computers at all. The campus will have plenty of computers on site anyhow, so take your desktop and don't worry about it.
really? i only know one person with a desktop at uni
Stephanie_12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jelly1000)
really? i only know one person with a desktop at uni
Really? I know quite a lot of people that do, strange, but I also know a lot of people with no laptop or computer, so I suppose a desktop is better than nothing and those that do have laptops (myself included) don't actually bring them into class.
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Really? I know quite a lot of people that do, strange, but I also know a lot of people with no laptop or computer, so I suppose a desktop is better than nothing and those that do have laptops (myself included) don't actually bring them into class.
Again everyone I know has a computer of some kind at home. And quite a few people bring them into class. What uni are you at out of interest?
Stephanie_12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Again everyone I know has a computer of some kind at home. And quite a few people bring them into class. What uni are you at out of interest?
Queens Belfast, maybe it's just the people I've talked to so far, I did think it was strange, it could also be that it's still very early in the year, plus its my first year there.. I've never had anybody bring one into class though, keep in mind that we have our lectures on giant power point boards, and our tutorials in smaller rooms of the main site. In the tutorial rooms there are seats with a little desk, so there isn't really much room for a laptop there, and in the lecture halls, I wasn't going to be the only one out of a class of 150 to be sitting there with a laptop. Again, there are so many resources around queens that have computers,like there is honestly hundreds. There is also centres near the student housing that have computer centres and multiple other off campus sites, I'm not sure if this is normal or not, I just assumed that it was, and all students have access to them, so I guess having a computer or laptop isn't our highest priority, plus the library as impressive as I've ever seen.
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Queens Belfast, maybe it's just the people I've talked to so far, I did think it was strange, it could also be that it's still very early in the year, plus its my first year there.. I've never had anybody bring one into class though, keep in mind that we have our lectures on giant power point boards, and our tutorials in smaller rooms of the main site. In the tutorial rooms there are seats with a little desk, so there isn't really much room for a laptop there, and in the lecture halls, I wasn't going to be the only one out of a class of 150 to be sitting there with a laptop. Again, there are so many resources around queens that have computers,like there is honestly hundreds. There is also centres near the student housing that have computer centres and multiple other off campus sites, I'm not sure if this is normal or not, I just assumed that it was, and all students have access to them, so I guess having a computer or laptop isn't our highest priority, plus the library as impressive as I've ever seen.
we have our lectures on giant power points too, quite a few people like to type notes though rather than write them especially as we don't usually get given handouts. we also have lots of places you can access a computer- on several levels in the library and in each faculty e.g. arts. sciences e.c.t so you dont need one on campus but some people prefer as I said to type notes as its quicker and your less likely to miss bits, and I think some just prefer working on their own computers in the library. If I didn't have several books to juggle as well I'd prefer to take mine in as I prefer the feel of typing on it compared to a PC. Everyone has one in their home though for recreational use - fb, twitter, watching iplayer e.c.t and its definitley handy for me the night before deadlines as I can work til late then crash in bed straight after.
Stephanie_12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
we have our lectures on giant power points too, quite a few people like to type notes though rather than write them especially as we don't usually get given handouts. we also have lots of places you can access a computer- on several levels in the library and in each faculty e.g. arts. sciences e.c.t so you dont need one on campus but some people prefer as I said to type notes as its quicker and your less likely to miss bits, and I think some just prefer working on their own computers in the library. If I didn't have several books to juggle as well I'd prefer to take mine in as I prefer the feel of typing on it compared to a PC. Everyone has one in their home though for recreational use - fb, twitter, watching iplayer e.c.t and its definitley handy for me the night before deadlines as I can work til late then crash in bed straight after.
Yeah, it'd definitely be helpful, I've taken to recording my lectures and then downloading the lectures from the site online where they are uploaded ahead of each lecture and then I put all my recordings into a file matching the lecture/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (200)
22.55%
The paper was reasonable (403)
45.43%
Not feeling great about that exam... (165)
18.6%
It was TERRIBLE (119)
13.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise