Do you NEED to wear a suit to a medicine interview? Watch

A random human
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi

I have an interview coming up at plymouth for medicine.

The prices of suits are getting higher as Christmas approaches. My last suit I have grown out of.

I was wondering if it was fine to wear a more smart casual type of outwear as I already have all of the pieces of clothes so I wont have to splash out on a new suit.

Basically a pair of navy slim fit chinos with a brown belt, white shirt with a tie and a v-neck jumper with some brown boat shoes.

Or would that be a big mistake? A friend told me that interviewers would look down upon me if I didn't wear a suit.

If need be, I will buy a suit as it is a one time opportunity and you got to be your best to pass the interview.
Beska
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by A random human)
Hi

The prices of suits are getting higher as Christmas approaches. My last suit I have grown out of.

I was wondering if it was fine to wear a more smart casual type of outwear as I already have all of the pieces of clothes so I wont have to splash out on a new suit.

Basically a pair of navy slim fit chinos with a brown belt, white shirt with a tie and a v-neck jumper with some brown boat shoes.

Or would that be a big mistake? A friend told me that interviewers would look down upon me if I didn't wear a suit.

If need be, I will buy a suit as it is a one time opportunity and you got to be your best to pass the interview.
Boat shoes are a bit casual, but if you just wear some brogues or oxfords with that instead then it should be OK. The interviewers will more than likely be senior clinicians/doctors/professors wearing suits, but if that doesn't intimidate you then it's fine. I would always recommend a suit though, and generally they are a sound investment anyway.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi

I think that would fine as it's still smart, but as a guy a suit is generally what you're expected to wear to an interview. That's just general life advice.

Basically...if you can afford it, get a suit - it doesn't have to be really posh and you'll need one anyway at some point in your life. But if you honestly can't, the outfit you've suggested above is okay too
A random human
Rep:
?
(Original post by Beska)
Boat shoes are a bit casual, but if you just wear some brogues or oxfords with that instead then it should be OK. The interviewers will more than likely be senior clinicians/doctors/professors wearing suits, but if that doesn't intimidate you then it's fine. I would always recommend a suit though, and generally they are a sound investment anyway.
(Original post by Democracy)
I think that would fine as it's still smart, but as a guy a suit is generally what you're expected to wear to an interview. That's just general life advice.

Basically...if you can afford it, get a suit - it doesn't have to be really posh and you'll need one anyway at some point in your life. But if you honestly can't, the outfit you've suggested above is okay too
Alright cheers, I might as well buy a suit.
KanKan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi

I think Primark do suits ^_^
Scoobster
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I wore scrubs, just to throw them off for a few minutes.
IceKidd
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Scoobster)
I wore scrubs, just to throw them off for a few minutes.
how did that go down?
Becca-Sarah
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Alright cheers, I might as well buy a suit.
Have a look in the major supermarkets if you're a bit short of cash. The trousers will be a sound investment as you can wear them on placements next year if the interview goes well, and as you go through uni you'll find more places to wear a suit.
A random human
Rep:
?
(Original post by KanKan)
I think Primark do suits ^_^
Hmm I would rather get something that would last even if it means I spend a bit more.
Scoobster
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by IceKidd)
how did that go down?
Not very well. Bought them used second hand and didn't have time to wash them. Looked more like a Halloween costume if I'm honest.
Scoobster
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hmm I would rather get something that would last even if it means I spend a bit more.
Honestly, Next, isn't that bad if you don't have a lot of money to spend on a suit. I'd have a pop in/look online if I were you. Other highstreet retailers like H&M will also be quite reasonable, just Next has quite a lot of choice from very basic suits to some fairly expensive ones.

Have a butchers
tdx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi

quite possibly fine but I personally wouldn't want to take any chances at all!!
IceKidd
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Scoobster)
Not very well. Bought them used second hand and didn't have time to wash them. Looked more like a Halloween costume if I'm honest.
:rofl:

what did they actually say. im dying to know how the interviewers reacted
IceKidd
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
we had someone from oxford come into our school to talk about oxbridge admissions. they said it really doesnt matter what you wear, just put on what feels comfortable. Just because its medicine they dont care if youre rich enough to waste money on a suit,just look fairly clean and smart. Even wearing a hoodie wont detract from your ability as a medic...
Verana
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Make sure it fits properly
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by IceKidd)
we had someone from oxford come into our school to talk about oxbridge admissions. they said it really doesnt matter what you wear, just put on what feels comfortable. Just because its medicine they dont care if youre rich enough to waste money on a suit,just look fairly clean and smart. Even wearing a hoodie wont detract from your ability as a medic...
No, but it doesn't really add to your professionalism either.
IceKidd
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Democracy)
No, but it doesn't really add to your professionalism either.
True. What i was trying to convey throughout the post though is that you should jsut wear something smart and clean. A suit is fine but not necessary. Just some smart trousers and a nice jumper or shirt is fine
ForestCat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am personally a fan of showing a little individuality in outfit choices. I realise its different for a girl but I think as long as its smart and neat you're fine. I already have a top (on the off chance I get an interview) that is smart but doesn't necessarily scream 'interview'. You have to be comfortable in it... If you feel comfortable in your mentioned choice of outfit, but would be squirming in a suit go for the outfit you have already. Being comfortable and putting yourself forward will work more in your favour than wearing a suit just because that is what you 'should' do.
Pittawithcheese
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi

It is interesting to read your post, as it just goes to show how some of the requirements for medical school discriminate against large portions of the population. For some applicants a suit is not a problem, and for others their parents will buy one. For others though, finding the money for a suit is a huge challenge.

I'll give you a too from when I was a young detective trying to buy an office wardrobe when I'd been wearing a uniform for years and was spending all my salary on bills and commuting.

Go to a large chain store like Next, try on the suits there to get a good idea which size you are in their clothes. Then go onto EBay and find some listings for suits you like in the correct size. You'll pick one up for less than £20, and it should fit you too.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Beska
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Pittawithcheese)
It is interesting to read your post, as it just goes to show how some of the requirements for medical school discriminate against large portions of the population. For some applicants a suit is not a problem, and for others their parents will buy one. For others though, finding the money for a suit is a huge challenge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think this is necessarily just medical school. Pretty much every job interview for a job with prospects like medicine (or even lower prospects) would require you to wear a suit. It's a general social thing that you're expected to dress business-like when discussing business.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (487)
31.16%
The paper was reasonable (603)
38.58%
Not feeling great about that exam... (256)
16.38%
It was TERRIBLE (217)
13.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed