Applying to Oxbridge via Special Access Watch

Wonderbeetle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi all! So I've applied to Cambridge; I know that my GCSE's were good (but by no means perfect) and my AS results were pretty consistent too (AAA). So while there's been no disadvantage to my education in any way, I'm applying from Rotherham, which is regarded nationally as a deprived area. My question is this: would I have a chance at successfully being considered for the Special Access program? I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts! Btw, if it helps, my school does send most of its 6th Form students off to uni, but few (about 5/6 each year) apply to Oxbridge. Thanks guys!
Holmstock
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Wonderbeetle)
Hi all! So I've applied to Cambridge; I know that my GCSE's were good (but by no means perfect) and my AS results were pretty consistent too (AAA). So while there's been no disadvantage to my education in any way, I'm applying from Rotherham, which is regarded nationally as a deprived area. My question is this: would I have a chance at successfully being considered for the Special Access program? I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts! Btw, if it helps, my school does send most of its 6th Form students off to uni, but few (about 5/6 each year) apply to Oxbridge. Thanks guys!
My guess, from reading this page:

http://www.cusu.cam.ac.uk/prospectiv...ing/csas-1.pdf

would be that you would not qualify*, but ask your school for their opinion.

(*the conditions include:

"Very few people from the applicant’s school/college proceed to higher education and the applicant’s family has little or no tradition of entry to higher education to study for a degree" )
Wonderbeetle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks for the advice; yeah, I saw those conditions too, it's annoying because although my education hasn't been disadvantaged/many from my 6th form do end up at uni, I would be the first in my family to attend uni. I'll ask the school as you said - my hope was that regardless of the school I'm at, they'll take note of the postcode I'm applying from, seen as though that's taken from a whole area. Thanks again!
uniqsummer
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
5/6 students applying to Oxbridge per year is actually quite high (depends on the total number of students at your school of course) , you have to think from the perspective that their are many schools in the UK that never send a student to Oxbridge.

You have good AS results, so I am not sure why you are keen to explore this route? As it seems that you are set to make a competitive application regardless of any other facts.
Colmans
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks for the advice; yeah, I saw those conditions too, it's annoying because although my education hasn't been disadvantaged/many from my 6th form do end up at uni, I would be the first in my family to attend uni. I'll ask the school as you said - my hope was that regardless of the school I'm at, they'll take note of the postcode I'm applying from, seen as though that's taken from a whole area. Thanks again!
You have to understand they are not trying to fiddle their statistics but to eliminate a disadvantage that might mean they miss a good candidate with lots of potential. You will still need to show at interview that you have the potential to do well regardless of your background. These things can help if you are a marginal candidate-down to you and one or two others but they won't get you a place if you are way off the pace.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In that case I don't think you have any disadvantage at all- your school clearly knows how to help Oxbridge candidates and you already have the grades so you don't need dispensation & you definitley wouldn't quailfy according the criteria on Cambridge page.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (387)
30.86%
The paper was reasonable (492)
39.23%
Not feeling great about that exam... (219)
17.46%
It was TERRIBLE (156)
12.44%

Watched Threads