Turn on thread page Beta

3 sciences + maths for as level watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! I am planning on taking biology chemistry physics and maths for as level but im worried that it might be really difficult. Is it really difficult and is the workload bad? Ive been predicted A*s in them so far and I want to do dentistry at uni but would dental unis see me as just another candidate with same a level options or would they want diversity ( so replace physics with latin/theology? Only planning to take physics up to as). Thanks for ur time guys and please leave a reply )

ReputationRep:
    I do maths and the three sciences and I don't think they're any harder than any other four options (excluding soft subjects, that is). As for which would be better at university, I don't know, but I think grades are more important so if you find these options more easy and interesting then you should go with maths and three sciences because it'll get you better grades.

ReputationRep:
    Its probably the most common 4 AS level combination.

They are good subjects and would allow you to go into other degrees such as economics and law, if you decide science isnt for you.

it probably does have a high workload, but if you study as you go, then it will be bearable. (Especially for biology, since it requires quite a bit of memorising).

ReputationRep:
    See http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...y_Requirements for what the different dentistry schools want.

For medicine (my subject), most places want (at AS) Chemistry plus a second science (Biology or Physics or Maths) plus two more subjects, and they really don't care what those 3rd/4th subjects are. I'd expect something similar for dentistry, and tbh you'll get better replies if you ask in the dentistry forums. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    It's a standard AS level combination and it shouldn't be any harder than any other combo. As long as you like those subjects. Don't feel like you have to take all sciences though - loads of people take 3 sciences (as in, 3 subjects out of maths/bio/chem/phys) and 1 humanity. On the other hand, if you don't like humanities/arts, don't pick one, haha.

About what Jkizer said about biology, I disagree. It's unanimous that chemistry's the hardest A level. Most people agree that bio is the easiest A level.

It's actually the humanities which seem to have huge workloads. History, for example, is endless essays.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 18, 2013

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.