Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm currently struggling on how to work with eyepiece graticule division with these two questions.

B) A slide micrometer, where 1 division equals 10 micrometres was used to calibrate an eyepiece micrometer. At a magnification of x400 it was found that 100 eyepiece divisions measured 16 slide micrometer divisions. What is the size of one eyepiece division in micrometres at this magnification?

C) A blood smear was examined at the same magnification, and the diameter of a neutrophil was found to measure 10 eyepiece divisions. What is the diameter of the neutrophil in micrometres?

Could someone explain how I would work these out please?

ReputationRep:
    Sure! :-)

B) You can ignore the magnification completely, since it remains the same throughout.
    In a slide micrometer, each division is 10 micrometres.
    In the eyepiece, 100 divisions is equal to 16 micrometer divisions.
    So essentially 100 eyepiece divisions is equal to 16 multiplied by 10 micrometres. 16*10=160 micrometres. 100 eyepiece divisions is equal to 160µm. Therefore, because there are 100 eyepiece divisions here, 1 eyepiece division is equal to 160/100 micrometres. 160/100=1.6. 1 eyepiece division=1.6µm.

C) You can simply multiply the measurement for one eyepiece division (
    1.6µm) by the number of divisions given. There are 10, so 1.6*10=16. The neutrophil is 16µm in diameter.

I hope I helped! (And I hope I did all of that correctly!)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 17, 2013

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.