Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think of euthanasia? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    its gr8 init

ReputationRep:
    I believe that, if faced with a definite, painful death (via terminal illness), a person should be able to have the choice to live or die.

Its is totally unacceptable. God chooses when we die.

I think it should be legalised, it should be one's decision to end one's life in a painless way.

ReputationRep:
    It should be considered case by case with more leniency in decision making however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheReckless)
    I believe that, if faced with a definite, painful death (via terminal illness), a person should be able to have the choice to live or die.
    Why not all the time?

(Original post by Maid Marian)
    I think it should be legalised, it should be one's decision to end one's life in a painless way.
    What about involuntary euthanasia?

(Original post by chickenonsteroids)

Do you mean murder? :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Why not all the time?

That's suicide. No matter how hard people believe their lives are, they can genuinely survive it if they get the right help. There's always hope.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean murder? :erm:
    No. If a close relative couldn't administer the lethal drug needed themselves, would it be ok for you to do it? What if you knew they wanted to die but were in a position where they couldn't do anything about it?

That's suicide. No matter how hard people believe their lives are, they can genuinely survive it if they get the right help. There's always hope.
    Why would it be morally wrong for me to want to die? What if I don't care about possible hope and just want my life over with?

No. If a close relative couldn't administer the lethal drug needed themselves, would it be ok for you to do it? What if you knew they wanted to die but were in a position where they couldn't do anything about it?
    Well yeah, isn't that one of the main reasons FOR euthanasia? Of course it's okay.

The problems arise when people may take advantage of this and kill off their disabled relatives :erm:

ReputationRep:

Why would it be morally wrong for me to want to die? What if I don't care about possible hope and just want my life over with?
    Where did I mention it would be morally unacceptable?
    Of course, if you really want to do it, then you have the choice - who's going to stop you?
    I just personally believe that suicide is never, ever the answer.

ReputationRep:
    Well yeah, isn't that one of the main reasons FOR euthanasia? Of course it's okay.

The problems arise when people may take advantage of this and kill off their disabled relatives :erm:
    It may be. But there's an important distinction between voluntary and involuntary euthanasia though. What if they changed their mind? you wouldn't know, would you?

It may be. But there's an important distinction between voluntary and involuntary euthanasia though. What if they changed their mind? you wouldn't know, would you?
    Why wouldn't you know? :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Where did I mention it would be morally unacceptable?
    Of course, if you really want to do it, then you have the choice - who's going to stop you?
    I just personally believe that suicide is never, ever the answer.
    So you do think people should be allowed to end their lives whenever they want and the terminal illness condition doesn't matter?

Why wouldn't you know? :erm:
    The person is unable to move, talk etc.

The person is unable to move, talk etc.
    Yeah but, they would have had to communicate with you to tell you that they wanted to die, so you'd just have to make completely sure. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    So you do think people should be allowed to end their lives whenever they want and the terminal illness condition doesn't matter?
    Whether they should be allowed? Yes; it's their life, their choices.
    But I don't support it, no. They have a choice to live, and could be alive if given access to the right help.

ReputationRep:
    Whether they should be allowed? Yes; it's their life, their choices.
    But I don't support it, no. They have a choice to live, and could be alive if given access to the right help.
    Ok, thanks. That clears it up a bit more.

ReputationRep:
    I think it should be legal, the decision of whether you want to be alive or dead is a personal choice and not one that political organisations or the state should have any role in.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you but I think it should also be allowed in some cases where death is not definite. For example, locked-in syndrome sufferers should have the right to die, in my opinion.Where there is a poor quality of life that cannot be resolved, it should be offered as an available option.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.