Turn on thread page Beta

stressed about bloody christmas presents watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ugh I hate when my husband does this. He's back on a 'collecting transformers' bender, and I'm getting all the guilt trips now because he wants Masterpiece Hot Rod / Rodimus Prime for Christmas.

The blumming thing is £199 for heavens sake, and I only just bought him a £115 Masterpiece Soundwave for his birthday last week, PLUS this week he bought himself another one which came to over £100.

He's like a little child with these blasted things. Yet he always plays the martyr and claims "I don't expect you to buy them for me", yet goes out of his way to make sure he gets me something he knows I'd want (even if I don't even know I wanted it! The guy is like a present-buying legend), and puts on such a wounded puppy face if he doesn't get what he wants.

We're trying to save up to take the kids on holiday next year, but there's absolutely no way we'll manage it if he keeps spending money on transformers like this.

And then to top it all off my 6 year old says he's going to ask Santa for a PS3. And hubby is doing nothing whatsoever to discourage this. Why? Because I think deep down he wants to give him the PS3 which is hubby's in the living room, because he (hubby) secretly also wants me to surprise him (again hubby) with a new PS4.

NOT gonna happen.

But come Christmas day I'm going to spend the entire day feeling guilty whilst hubby sits there looking like a sad little dog because he didn't get a transformer or a ruddy games console.

ARGH I hate hate HATE bloody Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like a ****ty situation to be in. I know this is probably obvious but have you sat down and spoken with your husband explaining that you're saving for a vacation and you can't do that if you're spending hundreds on a ps4? If he's an adult he should understand that adults have priorities and we can't always get what we want.

ReputationRep:
    Tell him to stop acting like a sulky 5 year old?

ReputationRep:
    Just divorce

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yodawg321)
    Just divorce
    Clearly this is the only solution.

ReputationRep:
    Say that doing things for the whole family takes priority over his private collection. He shouldn't be so selfish so as to make a transformer more important than the whole family being able to go on holiday.

Honestly this sounds like a really awkward and horrible situation. The best outcome would be talking to him and hopefully reaching some sort of understanding on how money isn't an infinite resource and what the priorities are for spending it.

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell. Christmas ain't about the presents, especially not when you're an adult. Sounds a bit immature tbh, he should be more concerned with what to get the kids. Why don't you agree to do a price limit as to prevent it escalating into a present buying arms race?

ReputationRep:
    You could just give him money and tell him to put it towards what he likes? No point in spending money you don't want to- nor is getting him something else that he won't use.

ReputationRep:
    you'd think wouldn't you that he'd be a bit more mature about it. Sadly Christmas seems to regress him somewhat. Mind you so does his birthday. And heaven forbid he doesn't get an Easter egg for Easter...

you get the idea!

I've already told him he's not getting a transformer or a PS4 for Christmas, but I bet you anything he hopes I'm just saying that, and that I'm going to surprise him on Christmas day. And then out will come the sad expression and the martyrdom.

*nuts wall*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    you'd think wouldn't you that he'd be a bit more mature about it. Sadly Christmas seems to regress him somewhat. Mind you so does his birthday. And heaven forbid he doesn't get an Easter egg for Easter...

you get the idea!

I've already told him he's not getting a transformer or a PS4 for Christmas, but I bet you anything he hopes I'm just saying that, and that I'm going to surprise him on Christmas day. And then out will come the sad expression and the martyrdom.

*nuts wall*
    Say "no, I'm really not joking. I actually can't afford to get you those things, so don't expect them. Find something else you want that we can afford to get and still do other things"

It sounds a bit harsh, but get rid of his hopes now rather than let him be disappointed on Christmas. Who knows, if he thinks about it, he might even find something else he wants that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (or a holiday).

ReputationRep:

you get the idea!

*nuts wall*
    I don't think you know what a martyr actually is...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Pesto)
    I don't think you know what a martyr actually is...
    yes actually I do. I wasn't being literal.

ReputationRep:
    Erm... tell him to grow up and stop being a saddo and to focus on his kids financially

ReputationRep:
    Tell him to stop playing games and finish that homework! And also to sleep before 10.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Transformers? Hundreds of pounds? eh? Shouldn't that sort of thing be for your kid rather than your husband

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to remain a manchild forever too :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    lol you'd be surprised how many grown fellas really are just "manchildren"

My manchild is 37. Thirty bloody seven. Stick a plastic robot in his hand and he turns into a 10 year old child!

ReputationRep:
    lol you'd be surprised how many grown fellas really are just "manchildren"

My manchild is 37. Thirty bloody seven. Stick a plastic robot in his hand and he turns into a 10 year old child!
    Congrats on your manchild. I'm 37 and for one I can't imagine having such a juvenile hobby. Did he have a deprived childhood or something?

Anyway it isn't such a good idea for a home to have 2 consoles, why not sell off the PS3 and buy a PS4 for both your "sons"

Also at that age he shouldn't be competing with the kids for resources which understandably isn't an infinite thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfissti)
    Congrats on your manchild. I'm 37 and for one I can't imagine having such a juvenile hobby. Did he have a deprived childhood or something?

Anyway it isn't such a good idea for a home to have 2 consoles, why not sell off the PS3 and buy a PS4 for both your "sons"

Also at that age he shouldn't be competing with the kids for resources which understandably isn't an infinite thing.
    Well he collects them, he doesn't sit any play with them. I collect vintage Rupert the bear annuals myself but I'd never get one if we were saving for something else (as we are now).

I've told him he's not getting a PS4 or an expensive transformer for Christmas. Whether he believes me or not is another matter, but I've told him anyway. I think he's a bit wounded but he'll have to get over it.

We've decided to get a Wii console for the kids from Santa. Not one of the new ones, one of the original consoles. As a joint present for them all. Hubby can get another set of controllers for himself and he can play with the kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yodawg321)
    Just divorce
    :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.