Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!
    I have recently been feeling somewhat frustrated on the subject of relationships. I have always 'wanted' a girlfriend (well since I hit puberty at least) but have never quite been able to get one.
    About myself, I am quite a 'geek' ie I enjoy computer games, roleplaying etc and am 19. Now despite being a geek, there are PLENTY of girls within my social circles (one of the many advantages of university). I am tall, attractive, intelligent, funny and confident around girls I meet. But I just cannot seem to get a girlfriend. I look at many of my friends who seem to have got one so effortlessly, I just can't understand what it is that they have/ are doing that I am not.
    Now the main reason I want a girlfriend is not for the sake of carnal desire, I desire the emotional connection and companionship (as well as self esteem boost) that comes with it. A few weeks ago I did finally summon up the courage to ask a girl out, and I thought it had gone so well.... but then she didn't want to go out with me again, which left my very confused, hurt and upset.
    This is really bothering me now to the point where it is almost all I can think about! Any help/advice/ amusing but yet informative anecdotes would be more than welcome!
    Thanks for any replies

ReputationRep:
    Just try chat up lines:

"I'm gonna stick my tongue so far down your esophagus, you're gonna need CPR."
    "I know that milk does a body good, but damn- how much have you been drinking?"
    "Did your dad have sex with a carrot? 'Cause you've got great eyes."
    "You look flustered! You should lay down on me."
    "Pull this".

Can't go wrong, let me know how you get on <><

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SgtInvincible)
    Hi there!
    I have recently been feeling somewhat frustrated on the subject of relationships. I have always 'wanted' a girlfriend (well since I hit puberty at least) but have never quite been able to get one....A few weeks ago I did finally summon up the courage to ask a girl out, and I thought it had gone so well.... but then she didn't want to go out with me again, which left my very confused, hurt and upset.
    So basically you've always wanted a girlfriend, always wondered how other people got one, and have only asked out one woman?!

Since one of the virtues you ascribed to yourself was 'intelligence', I'm sure you appreciate that it might require a bit of perseverance. That doesn't mean indiscriminately ask out everyone you come across, but you going to have to ask someone out. And you are going to have to expect some setbacks.

They call it 'the dating game' because sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. But son, you're not playing the game yet, so get started but learn to develop a thick skin.

When things don't go to plan, try and assess what went wrong. Stay positive and keep hold of that sense of humour. For God's sake don't become like some of the morons on here who end up posting long rants at 3am about how girls are all sluts, only interested in rich men, and if you can't find one to love you unconditionally you don't see the point of going on in life. Be better than that!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 17, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.