coulombic interaction Watch

tazmaniac97
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
What's the difference between coulombic interaction and ionic bonds? Or is there no difference and are all ionic bonds coulombic interactions but not all coulombic interactions are ionic?

also what does M and A stand for in the following equations (couldn't find them in any of the textbooks I have at home):

M = A/r

F= -A/r^2
tazmaniac97
Rep:
?
anyone?
username913907
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tazmaniac97)
What's the difference between coulombic interaction and ionic bonds? Or is there no difference and are all ionic bonds coulombic interactions but not all coulombic interactions are ionic?

also what does M and A stand for in the following equations (couldn't find them in any of the textbooks I have at home):

M = A/r

F= -A/r^2
Ionic bonds are coulombic attractions. Bear in mind that ionic bonds should really be viewed as the cation being attracted to all the surrounding anions (and visa-versa) in the crystal lattice, not just pairs of ions.
Now to start your own research into the topic...... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulomb's_law
WGR
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A coulombic interaction is any interaction between charged objects that follows Coulomb's Law which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the total charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Ionic bonds follow this (ions are charged objects) therefore they are a form of coulombic interaction.
tazmaniac97
Rep:
?
(Original post by JMaydom)
Ionic bonds are coulombic attractions. Bear in mind that ionic bonds should really be viewed as the cation being attracted to all the surrounding anions (and visa-versa) in the crystal lattice, not just pairs of ions.
Now to start your own research into the topic...... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulomb's_law

(Original post by WGR)
A coulombic interaction is any interaction between charged objects that follows Coulomb's Law which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the total charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Ionic bonds follow this (ions are charged objects) therefore they are a form of coulombic interaction.
Thanks for the help with Coulombic interactions, but I still don't understand what A is (I tried reading that Wikipedia link you gave, my textbooks and other online websites). I asked my lecturer about the equations and she said the first equation should be U = A/r and A is a constant. But what is it exactly?
username913907
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tazmaniac97)
Thanks for the help with Coulombic interactions, but I still don't understand what A is (I tried reading that Wikipedia link you gave, my textbooks and other online websites). I asked my lecturer about the equations and she said the first equation should be U = A/r and A is a constant. But what is it exactly?
I can't say for sure but.....

A will just be a constant..... The first equation is probably the one for force as it scales as 1/r^2 (the derivative of the potential... i.e. force) and the second will be a potential of some sort most likely.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (481)
30.95%
The paper was reasonable (601)
38.67%
Not feeling great about that exam... (256)
16.47%
It was TERRIBLE (216)
13.9%

Watched Threads