City Solicitor? Watch

_Katie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Is life as a City Solicitor - think firms like Linklaters, Allen & Overy etc. what you might call 'intellectually challenging' or 'stimulating' and fulfilling? Does anyone on TSR work there/know anyone who does? What's the general consensus on what life is like?
arrowhead
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by _Katie)
Is life as a City Solicitor - think firms like Linklaters, Allen & Overy etc. what you might call 'intellectually challenging' or 'stimulating' and fulfilling? Does anyone on TSR work there/know anyone who does? What's the general consensus on what life is like?
It's very intense, gruelling work. In terms of it being 'intellectually challenging', that depends on how you define it. One of my mates is on her first seat at Links and she often spends 6-8 hours researching a particular issue. Her average day is about 10-14 hours long and even then there's always a ton of work to be done.
_Katie
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by arrowhead)
It's very intense, gruelling work. In terms of it being 'intellectually challenging', that depends on how you define it. One of my mates is on her first seat at Links and she often spends 6-8 hours researching a particular issue. Her average day is about 10-14 hours long and even then there's always a ton of work to be done.
What I mean is, is it difficult? Do you have to be intelligent to do the work?
arrowhead
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well, yes, of course. That's why they hire the most intelligent/brilliant students they can find.
Key123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't think it takes a genius to be a trainee solicitor; if you have the requisite grades the chances are you are intellectually capable.

It takes some brains and guile to progress much beyond NQ though, it seems to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
_Katie
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Key123)
I don't think it takes a genius to be a trainee solicitor; if you have the requisite grades the chances are you are intellectually capable.

It takes some brains and guile to progress much beyond NQ though, it seems to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've read things from by solicitors - both newly qualified and experienced, that claim their job is essentially abhorrently dull and undemanding - apparently anyone with any reasonable qualification would be capable - is that something you agree with?
Key123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've read things from by solicitors - both newly qualified and experienced, that claim their job is essentially abhorrently dull and undemanding - apparently anyone with any reasonable qualification would be capable - is that something you agree with?
Umm I don't necessarily agree. Many solicitors say this, but they are usually pretty bright and underestimate that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (204)
43.22%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (146)
30.93%
I don't have an opinion (122)
25.85%

Watched Threads