Turn on thread page Beta

Can you do a PGCE Course and do your GCSE during the evening? watch

ReputationRep:
    Do they allow that? Just I am going to apply for PGCE they say C in English (which I have) and C in Maths (I don't have)

Would I be able to do the year course whilst going Maths in the evening simultaneously?
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by xjay1234)
    Do they allow that? Just I am going to apply for PGCE they say C in English (which I have) and C in Maths (I don't have)

Would I be able to do the year course whilst going Maths in the evening simultaneously?
    You need to contact the universities you're applying to directly - they might have a preference and tell you not to take GCSE maths but to do an alternative instead alongside the course.

More likely they'll let you know that you need the GCSE prior to entry.

Either way be careful about putting off anything to study alongside a PGCE - they are VERY work intensive and you're unlikely to have much if any free time (never mind enough to devote to a GCSE).

Why can't you put in for the GCSE retake this year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    You need to contact the universities you're applying to directly - they might have a preference and tell you not to take GCSE maths but to do an alternative instead alongside the course.

More likely they'll let you know that you need the GCSE prior to entry.

Either way be careful about putting off anything to study alongside a PGCE - they are VERY work intensive and you're unlikely to have much if any free time (never mind enough to devote to a GCSE).

Why can't you put in for the GCSE retake this year?
    Well UCAS applications begin 21st November.

I want to do my PGCE @ UEL http://www.uel.ac.uk/study/courses/drama-pgce.htm

Now with you said about alternative to Maths whilst on PGCE well you have to to Numeracy test and Literacy test admission.

I will ring UEL see what they say, I can't do GCSE right now this year as I am working sporadic hours, (I am paying on Student overdraft) graduated 2 months ago.

But seems you would need Maths before you start, but no problem, I would just do the Maths, then after can really focus on the PGCE fully at least.

Can save money a lot before i eventually begin.

Thanks for the information beautiful people!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    PGCE, it requires you to have your GCSE at grade C in maths and English before you apply... Once you have got your C, you can then apply for it, then take the literacy and numeracy test.

I need to get my C in maths (or have an equal equivalency test, but that should be later in my life atm)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cool_JordH)
    PGCE, it requires you to have your GCSE at grade C in maths and English before you apply... Once you have got your C, you can then apply for it, then take the literacy and numeracy test.

I need to get my C in maths (or have an equal equivalency test, but that should be later in my life atm)
    How does the Equal Equivalency Test work?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by xjay1234)
    How does the Equal Equivalency Test work?
    Well, it's not on any school exam board, and you get told what you need to do with resources and etc. And you get a certain amount of hours/weeks that you are advised to have before you take your test. It allows you to go at your own pace, figuring out what you suits you. You also get your own tutor to help you.

The equivalency test is recognised by many higher institutions.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the uni. I do not have the required GCSE science for Primary Education, and therefore I am retaking it. Both of the providers I am applying for are more than happy I retake this year. If I get place, it will be subject to me passing both the professional skills test and the GCSE. However, some unis do require you to have the GCSE before you apply and some also do not accept the equivalent skills tests.

1. Contact whoever the unis you want to apply to - be quick applications start tomorrow (eek!)

2. Head over to http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=97 - lots of advice from fellow potential PGCEers.

Good luck!

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

Student on bed with laptop

All student accommodation articles

City guides and advice on finding the right place

Photo of apprentices

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A young woman talking to her mother

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.