Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm doing an EPQ on how the horrors of World War One should be commemorated on the 100th anniversary of the event and I was just wondering what you guys thought.
    Is it suitable to celebrate winning the war or should it be a solemn event? What sort of events would you expect to be held?

Also, if anyone knows of any events happening, it would a great help if you could tell me or give me a link to the website or something.

thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps a Hobbit and Lord of the Rings marathon?

Edit: Because that's what Tolkien was writing while he was in the trenches. It makes me wonder how many writers, creators, innovators, inventors and ideas that we'll never hear or find out about because they died in trench warfare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by modulaa)
    Hey! I'm doing an EPQ on how the horrors of World War One should be commemorated on the 100th anniversary of the event and I was just wondering what you guys thought.
    Is it suitable to celebrate winning the war or should it be a solemn event? What sort of events would you expect to be held?

Also, if anyone knows of any events happening, it would a great help if you could tell me or give me a link to the website or something.

thanks in advance!
    There is nothing about the mass slaughter of hundreds of thousands of men that is worthy of celebration. It is entirely the wrong word for such an occasion.

It is a commemoration, a deeply solemn event when all of Europe should come together and mark it.

Even so, the anniversary of the start of it isn't worthy of special recognition imo, it's the end. November 11th 2018. That's the date to really recognise. But still, not celebrate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by modulaa)

thanks in advance!
    Why would you want to celebrate the deaths of thousands of people? I intend to go to Church to pay my respects but nothing more and nothing less.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't' think I'd see anyone top Kate Upton wanting America to celebrate 9/11 but Cameron managed it. Barges on the Thames!!

I don't think much needs to be done, a TV programme or two, and a mention in school assemblies or form times. The numbers speak for themselves, you don't need to do much for 9 million death to have an impact. The Royal family can be wheeled out for some kind of ceremony as they are on such occasions, but the key things lies among ordinary people remembering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    I didn't' think I'd see anyone top Kate Upton wanting America to celebrate 9/11 but Cameron managed it. Barges on the Thames!!

I don't think much needs to be done, a TV programme or two, and a mention in school assemblies or form times. The numbers speak for themselves, you don't need to do much for 9 million death to have an impact. The Royal family can be wheeled out for some kind of ceremony as they are on such occasions, but the key things lies among ordinary people remembering.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    There is nothing about the mass slaughter of hundreds of thousands of men that is worthy of celebration. It is entirely the wrong word for such an occasion.

It is a commemoration, a deeply solemn event when all of Europe should come together and mark it.

Even so, the anniversary of the start of it isn't worthy of special recognition imo, it's the end. November 11th 2018. That's the date to really recognise. But still, not celebrate.
    Thanks for your opinion Tbh i completely agree - the end of the war is definitely the important date. I think that perhaps the start should be recognised but maybe with just a minutes silence in church or assemblies at school

ReputationRep:

Thanks! That is a good point actually, it's really important that the entire country remembers, not just those that are/have been in the army or been affected by war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlesmurfette)
    Why would you want to celebrate the deaths of thousands of people? I intend to go to Church to pay my respects but nothing more and nothing less.
    I don't think people would want to celebrate the deaths, just the fact that the war was won - e.g. should the remembrance be different in different countries. Personally i don't think you should celebrate or remember any differently around the world, it was just a talking point. And thanks for your opinion, I think the church will be a vital part of remembrance.

ReputationRep:
    We may have won, but at the expense of hundreds of thousands of lives through our country's own stupidity.

It should be a day about the fallen, not celebrating that the country's politicians managed to bungle a win only through immense sacrifice.

I like how you just casually say 'wheeled out' like they're a burden on u:lol:

ReputationRep:
    We should make it crystal clear what a massively pointless and flawed conflict it was - a squabble between the various royalist classes of Europe in which millions of young people paid the price.

The stories of the Christmas truce prove how much those soldiers had in common with eachother and how instead of going back to the trenches they would have been better served if they'd turned their guns on the ****s who were forcing them into industrially killing eachother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)

Most definitely ensuring that every school child does a tour of the trenches. I'd read loads on WW1, it wasn't until I went on A tour a few months ago that the enormity of the loss hit me. Thiepvil, Menim Gate and Tyne Cot were very moving as were the innumerable road side cemeteries.

I don't think anybody is advocating street parties. But I definitely think that there should be a big move to make sure people not only remember, but what happened and why it happened.

ReputationRep:
    A large part of it should be aimed at educating younger people about what happened and why they should celebrate etc. There's a danger of it being forgotten.

ReputationRep:
    A state funeral for an empty coffin to commemorate all those who have died in the 2 World Wars and subsequent conflicts.

ReputationRep:

I used to think that. I'd read the books, seen the documentaries. The enormity of it never hit me until I did a battlefield tour. Then I understood.

ReputationRep:
    WW1 should be remembered as a war between colonial powers for the rights to steal or hold on to land they have stolen from poor people around the world but I doubt that will be coming across in the range of tv programs to be aired over the next 4 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lin Chung)
    WW1 should be remembered as a war between colonial powers for the rights to steal or hold on to land they have stolen from poor people around the world but I doubt that will be coming across in the range of tv programs to be aired over the next 4 years.
    WWI was fought over European borders, not colonial borders. The two countries that started the war - Austria-Hungary and Russia - did not even have overseas colonies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    WWI was fought over European borders, not colonial borders. The two countries that started the war - Austria-Hungary and Russia - did not even have overseas colonies.
    Up to you what you want to believe.

After World War I the Allied powers partitioned among themselves both the German overseas colonial holdings and the vast Arab provinces of the Ottoman Empire. They carried out this operation through the League of Nations, which awarded mandates under varying conditions. Great Britain received as mandates Iraq and Palestine (which it promptly split into Transjordan and Palestine proper); the Palestine mandate obligated Britain to respect its contradictory wartime commitments to both Jews and Arabs. France assumed a mandate over both Syria and Lebanon. In Africa the two powers divided Togo and Cameroon between them, Britain acquired Tanganyika (with a few thousand German settlers), Belgium took Rwanda-Urundi, and South Africa received German South West Africa. Italy, as compensation for not sharing in the award of mandates, obtained from Britain the Juba (Giuba) Valley on the Kenya-Somali frontier, and France eventually ceded to Italy a desert area that rounded out Libya’s southern frontiers.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...period-1914-39

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lin Chung)
    Up to you what you want to believe.
    I don't think there is much doubt about it, unless you believe that 10m lives were expended over who owns the Namibian desert and the Bismarck Islands.

The only major war I can think of fought over colonies in modern times was Japan's Pacific War. Before that, probably the American Revolution.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 28, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.