My Science Predicament! Watch

WomenFartLoads
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am in a right predicament regarding GCSE Science...

Basically, I have a B in GCSE Single Award Science.
I am looking to take GCSE Additional Science (to make up my double award) but no colleges near me run it - and no school would let me in as I'm over the age limit... And I can't do it externally because of the coursework/controlled assessment. So, my only option would be IGCSE via distance learning.

BUT
IGCSE Additional Science doesn't even exist! All that exist are a double award (in which the 2 IGCSEs can't be separated) and triple science. So...that would mean I would have to resit my main Science to get the double award. Which I'm not doing because I worked hard for it, and I don't want to render that year a waste of time!

So, here are my questions:

1 - Will an IGCSE in "Additional Science" ever be launched? Are there any plans to make this IGCSE available in the future?
2 - Even if they do launch IGCSE Additional Science, would this even count as my double award? (Because it would be a totally different year and a different exam board too!)
3 - General advice on the matter?

To say the least it's very frustrating and at times I feel like I'm being screwed by the system, what with the severe lack of opportunities...
PeaceTreaty
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Since it's IGCSE I don't think your Core Science at GCSE would help anyway (they're both different qualifications). If you really have to do double award then I advise doing it from scratch at IGCSE.
snoreeen
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am doing the IGCSE in Science; they don't count it as a Double Award because it isn't. It will however be accounted as 'Higher Level'.
There is no such thing as Additional IGCSE as the IGCSE is all core and additional together.
WomenFartLoads
Rep:
?
(Original post by snoreeen)
I am doing the IGCSE in Science; they don't count it as a Double Award because it isn't. It will however be accounted as 'Higher Level'.
There is no such thing as Additional IGCSE as the IGCSE is all core and additional together.
It is though? http://www.distance-learning-centre....CSE_COURSE.htm
On that link it says it's worth two IGCSEs
snoreeen
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I personally would've preferred if I did the GCSE because iGCSE is a hassle.
WomenFartLoads
Rep:
?
(Original post by snoreeen)
I personally would've preferred if I did the GCSE because iGCSE is a hassle.
In what way is it a hassel? (just curious)
snoreeen
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not generally but to me specifically, because we were only given the option of doing IGCSE a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't really a choice of doing it or not, they just sprung it on us; and we have mock and real exams in December etc. I guess me and the class are able to adapt very quickly but most of us were adamant on passing Additional
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (104)
19.01%
The paper was reasonable (275)
50.27%
Not feeling great about that exam... (109)
19.93%
It was TERRIBLE (59)
10.79%

Watched Threads