Can i become a teacher with a film degree? Watch

poppyjane
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm in my third year and i am having a bit of a panic.
I would ideally like to teach media in a secondary school, although i am aware that these jobs are extremely few and far between. Therefore i was thinking about doing an English and Media PGCE?
However, i have no A Level English qualification. I received two B's in GCSE but didn't study it further. I know this will obviously be a massive hindrance. I am on course to getting a 2:1 and i really would like some advice on what to know?
i know primary teaching is an option, but i am really passionate about teaching secondary. Any help would be a huge huge advantage.
Thanks
ElGenioEstúpido
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Film Studies teacher?
nic-nac
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm sure you can look up your course on UCAS to check if you can get onto a pgce with your degree ?? I remember when searching, there was an option to search for only courses that could lead onto a pgce as they need to have a certain amount of relevance to the subject you teach.
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No offence, but if I had got two Bs in GCSE English and got my degree in film I would actually feel guilty teaching English. I don't say this to be spiteful; I just really don't think those credentials demonstrate the academic rigour I'd want in someone teaching my children for the same exams.
alabelle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
PGCEs are incredibly competitive, especially for the subject you're looking at. It would be worth applying but you need to consider the other entry requirements. Do you have any experience of observing/volunteering in a school? That would be a start.
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My son has a similar degree and has applied and failed - you haven't a chance in hell unless you have wonderful other quals
Shelly_x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by poppyjane)
I'm in my third year and i am having a bit of a panic.
I would ideally like to teach media in a secondary school, although i am aware that these jobs are extremely few and far between. Therefore i was thinking about doing an English and Media PGCE?
However, i have no A Level English qualification. I received two B's in GCSE but didn't study it further. I know this will obviously be a massive hindrance. I am on course to getting a 2:1 and i really would like some advice on what to know?
i know primary teaching is an option, but i am really passionate about teaching secondary. Any help would be a huge huge advantage.
Thanks
Contact the uni to see if they would consider your application.
There is an NQT at my school that im currently training at who has a film degree and is teaching English. However, she was working at this school for two years previously before she did the GTP there so they were probably more lenient.
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by wannabeaca)
Looks like the private education failed.
Nope he was state school educated
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (50)
14.12%
The paper was reasonable (178)
50.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (85)
24.01%
It was TERRIBLE (41)
11.58%

Watched Threads