What A Levels should I take to do Creative Writing at uni? Watch

HazMusicPanda
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I'm doing my GCSEs at the moment and because I'm a real big worrier, I've already been thinking about universities and what I'd want to take because we're choosing A Levels this year.

I've been to a few open evenings at 6th forms and colleges and talked to the English teachers there and because I prefer creative writing, they suggested I take English Lang instead of Lit (or both). But I've been looking at uni websites for the Creative Writing course and a lot of them say the students studied Lit not Lang and I'm confused on what to do. I can't really take both because there isn't a joint option at the 6th form I'm likely to go to and my parents want me to do some languages and I want to do music and philisophy&ethics.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do?

PS - I'm new to this site so I hope I've posted this in the right section!
nguyenj
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd definitely recommend English Literature instead of English Language. I'm applying for an English Literature course for university at the moment, and from visiting several open days, they definitely prefer lit over lang.

Philosophy and Ethics seems like an interesting subject, it would definitely build on your writing skills as it is an essay based subject.

And as for music? Go for it! I always regret not taking music for an A level considering I really enjoyed it at GCSE.

I think psychology would be a nice subject for you if you're interested. You'll find inspiration to write a lot if you surround yourself with different situations. For example, if you did take psychology, you would be aware of different conditions you could write about like depression, OCD, and characters with childhood problems which can explain why they are a certain way.

Definitely an interesting subject! I wouldn't worry about university for now, you never know, things change.

For example, I used to want to do Psychology or Biology at uni but I found that my passion lies elsewhere - and I'm extremely happy about it too

Good luck!
HazMusicPanda
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by nguyenj)
I'd definitely recommend English Literature instead of English Language. I'm applying for an English Literature course for university at the moment, and from visiting several open days, they definitely prefer lit over lang.

Philosophy and Ethics seems like an interesting subject, it would definitely build on your writing skills as it is an essay based subject.

And as for music? Go for it! I always regret not taking music for an A level considering I really enjoyed it at GCSE.

I think psychology would be a nice subject for you if you're interested. You'll find inspiration to write a lot if you surround yourself with different situations. For example, if you did take psychology, you would be aware of different conditions you could write about like depression, OCD, and characters with childhood problems which can explain why they are a certain way.

Definitely an interesting subject! I wouldn't worry about university for now, you never know, things change.

For example, I used to want to do Psychology or Biology at uni but I found that my passion lies elsewhere - and I'm extremely happy about it too

Good luck!
Thanks! My parents don't want me to do music (although I've had it set for like 3 years now that I wana take music and english at college). But I'll find a way hopefully.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (200)
22.57%
The paper was reasonable (402)
45.37%
Not feeling great about that exam... (165)
18.62%
It was TERRIBLE (119)
13.43%

Watched Threads