Best route for further education teaching? Watch

ooerr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

I will be graduating next year and I've been trying to find out more information about how to get into teaching at colleges/sixth forms, but the things I have found have not been very clear.

I am interested in teaching A-level maths; I have an A-level in maths (obviously) and my degree is partly in maths. What would be the next step for me to be able to realistically get a job as a further education teacher/lecturer? What minimum qualifications do FE institutions usually look for? I am not interested in primary or secondary teaching, as I would prefer to teach older students who actually want to learn.

Thanks in advance.
Shelly_x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ooerr)
Hi,

I will be graduating next year and I've been trying to find out more information about how to get into teaching at colleges/sixth forms, but the things I have found have not been very clear.

I am interested in teaching A-level maths; I have an A-level in maths (obviously) and my degree is partly in maths. What would be the next step for me to be able to realistically get a job as a further education teacher/lecturer? What minimum qualifications do FE institutions usually look for? I am not interested in primary or secondary teaching, as I would prefer to teach older students who actually want to learn.

Thanks in advance.
Firstly, older students do not always want to learn. You will find that in the next few years this will be an increasingly common thing as it will be compulsory for them to do some sort of further education or work until they are 18.
Secondly, the most common route would be to do a PCET (Post-Compulsary Education and Training). There are also some School Direct routes which are specifically in FE colleges and sixth forms.
Deja Vu
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd make sure your current degree is "enough Maths" first and foremost - if you wanted to a secondary maths PGCE you would need it to be 50% maths at least - I do not know if a post-compulsory education and training PGCE will have similar requirements or not (I am applying for a post-compulsory education and training PGCE with my sociology degree and it just says you must have a degree in your chosen subject - doesn't break it down in to percentages). So I would double check whether your degree contains enough maths for it to be considered "having a degree in your chosen subject" or whatever the PCET PGCE you want to apply for states.

Apart from that, yes, the PGCE in post-compulsory education and training is the 'standard' route. There are hardly any SD routes in to FE (only 3 nearby me last year for my subject - social sciences) but there might be more for maths, you'd have to look.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (51)
14.09%
The paper was reasonable (182)
50.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (88)
24.31%
It was TERRIBLE (41)
11.33%

Watched Threads