Would you sacrifice your career over a relationship? Watch

PC2852
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Say, you get offered your dream job and it's in your dream city or dream country but your gf/bf doesn't want to move. What would you do?
placenta medicae talpae
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Cut myself cleanly in two, and send one half off in the post
tibbles209
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When you say 'sacrifice your career' do you just mean 'sacrifice the dream job'? I mean, if I choose the make the sacrifice am I stuck working in Sainsbury's for the rest of my life or can I forge out a career elsewhere?
Muppet Science
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If she is the dream girl then yeah I would sacrifice the dream job, especially if it is only an offer.
Orthonym
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I wouldn't even apply for jobs abroad right now, maybe not ever. But if I were happy with living abroad where none of my friends and family live, I'd break up with my boyfriend and take the job.
MissDavies
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I actually thought about this recently because chances are when we graduate from uni my boyfriend will need to move for his career but he'll finish uni a year after me so I might already be settled in a career here. I'd almost definitely move with him though because love is more important to me than money or a career.
littlesmurfette
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Tbh, yes I would. Doesn't mean it would be an easy decision but I certainly wouldn't give up on something i've grafted for and dreamed about for years for someone else. Maybe i'm selfish but I am a firm believer in looking after yourself and your needs before anyone else. Just like a partner would have his/her reasons for not moving.
Hyde
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No I wouldn't. Don't need the unnecessary burden of partner in the first place.
donutaud15
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
yes I would. done something similar already.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths and cheesecake
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PC2852)
Say, you get offered your dream job and it's in your dream city or dream country but your gf/bf doesn't want to move. What would you do?
hey how long is the relationship, how much am I invested in her etc.

if it is a average boyfriend/girlfriend deal I would dump her and move on.
The_Internet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Probably would tbh
Ben_K
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PC2852)
If he/she really 'loved' you she'd do what makes you happy.
Serentonin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd take the job tbh. One of the reasons my last relationship (3 yrs) ended was because he wouldn't move out of the **** hole chav town we grew up in. I moved out as soon as I could.
desdemonata
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They're not worth staying with if they refuse to compromise/at least try.

Then again, if it were somewhere like Australia, I wouldn't want to move in the first place. I've already got my family divided across two countries; don't need to complicate Christmas any further.
Galileo Galilei
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Are you mad. If they cared about me they would come with me. So to answer your question, never.
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
Cut myself cleanly in two, and send one half off in the post

May I suggest you do it diagonally?
jazzykinks
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd go for the job. If they really love me, they'll come with me.
placenta medicae talpae
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Vixen47)
May I suggest you do it diagonally?
Why don't you cut me up as you please? :sexface:
Plumstone
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That depends on so many factors that it's impossible to choose without more information.

My ideal job involves working from home, so I wouldn't have to move anyway. Also, my current relationship has the potential to last a lifetime - longer than a career - and I can't imagine that I would give up my boyfriend to go and live somewhere else.

On the other hand, if my dream job did involve moving and if my relationship weren't something I saw myself holding onto forever then I would probably take the job and hope that I found a new partner in the new location.

It all depends on how much you want the job and how much you would miss the relationship/how likely you are to find someone you like as much as your current lover.
deedee123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
depends why they didn't want to move. If they had no good reason then i doubt the relationship would last forever anyway, as they weren't willing to make any sacrifices for the relationship.

if they had a genuine reason then i would figure out what made me happier and go with that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (143)
21.22%
The paper was reasonable (329)
48.81%
Not feeling great about that exam... (126)
18.69%
It was TERRIBLE (76)
11.28%

Watched Threads