How lenient are UCL when it comes to getting one grade lower than entry req??? Watch

username1039383
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I achieved A*AB last summer (currently on a gap year doing volunteering) but ucl require A*AA - AAA for Psychology. What chance have i got?

Posted from TSR Mobile
heshop
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I doubt it to be honest, unless it states on the website. Drop them an email - it never hurts to ask. Have you considered resitting some modules to get the B up? I don't know what UCL's policy is regarding resits but it may be worth doing anyway - A*AB is an awkward set of results. Well done though! Wish I'd got an A*.
username1039383
Rep:
?
(Original post by heshop)
I doubt it to be honest, unless it states on the website. Drop them an email - it never hurts to ask. Have you considered resitting some modules to get the B up? I don't know what UCL's policy is regarding resits but it may be worth doing anyway - A*AB is an awkward set of results. Well done though! Wish I'd got an A*.
Haha it really is quite awkward. Really dont want to retake

I phoned them on results day and he said they wont consider me (in a very rude tone) but someone on here who got the exact same grades and applying for the same course was told she would be considered? There are 2 admission tutors so one may be nicer than the other but idk. Maybe its te same person but was having a bad day when i phoned. Just so confused as its been mydream uni for as long as i can remember
Endless Blue
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Emailing them is probably your best option. But if you do intend to go ahead without checking first and/or resitting to meet the standard requirements I would prepare yourself for a summary rejection. Psychology is a fairly popular course as I understand it and UCL will doubtless be hugely oversubscribed, meaning you're likely to be one of the first in the bin.
username1039383
Rep:
?
(Original post by Endless Blue)
Emailing them is probably your best option. But if you do intend to go ahead without checking first and/or resitting to meet the standard requirements I would prepare yourself for a summary rejection. Psychology is a fairly popular course as I understand it and UCL will doubtless be hugely oversubscribed, meaning you're likely to be one of the first in the bin.
Look at my post above yours about the phone call
Endless Blue
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Secretnerd123)
Look at my post above yours about the phone call
Then I definitely wouldn't apply. Essentially, you've been told that you won't be considered. Now against this you are choosing to trust a completely unsubstantiated claim made by a stranger on an internet forum. If you like you could try phoning emailing again to clarify, but in all honesty I expect you will get a rejection if you apply. Harsh perhaps, but certainly realistic.

At the end of the day, if it's your dream uni you could always apply and hope for the best, but just make sure that you have sensible back-up options in case it does end as I foresee. Or, alternatively, you could just resit one module or something and pull up the B grade. I know you don't want to retake but at the moment I would say it's the best shot you have at getting to your 'dream uni'. So think about it.
username1039383
Rep:
?
(Original post by Endless Blue)
Then I definitely wouldn't apply. Essentially, you've been told that you won't be considered. Now against this you are choosing to trust a completely unsubstantiated claim made by a stranger on an internet forum. If you like you could try phoning emailing again to clarify, but in all honesty I expect you will get a rejection if you apply. Harsh perhaps, but certainly realistic.

At the end of the day, if it's your dream uni you could always apply and hope for the best, but just make sure that you have sensible back-up options in case it does end as I foresee. Or, alternatively, you could just resit one module or something and pull up the B grade. I know you don't want to retake but at the moment I would say it's the best shot you have at getting to your 'dream uni'. So think about it.
very harsh aren't you?
heshop
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As the above poster said, you've been told that you won't be considered with your grades which means that it is highly unlikely that you will be given an offer. What was your B grade in? If I were you I would resit, I imagine it will only be one or two modules and without the stress of other subjects it should be relatively stress-free.

P.S. Don't get too down though - your grades really are very good and you should be proud!
Endless Blue
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Secretnerd123)
very harsh aren't you?
Pragmatic, realistic, honest... there are definitely more appropriate and fair adjectives to describe the advice I've given imo. I don't see why you just don't resit tbh. If it really is your dream uni then, as I said, I think it's by far your best option. But what do I know.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

How has 2019 been so far?