Should I stick with my career goal? Watch

0kaySadia_
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi guys so, I'm in Year 10 right now and for a few years, I've been aspiring to be a pediatrician. My family and friends have always said I have potential to be a doctor but I've tried not to let them pressure me into it, it's been my own decision. I really do want to help the world in some way, as cheesy as that sounds, and helping kids seems like the way to do it, most suited to me.
Recently though, I've been thinking more about the downsides to it. Things like if I'm not able to help the child, or unreasonable parents, or the crazy hard work required, and I start doubting if I'll be up to it. I know I haven't given much information about myself, but all I asking is do you guys think i should stick with it, or start considering other paths? :confused:
thorn0123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You can do it! Keep going mate
oyyoyy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you do see yourself becoming a doctor, do you see yourself in any other specialty?

I also wanted to be a pediatrician for a while, but the hardships of that specialty did make me waver a little. Still, I'm applying to med school with an open mind to any specialty, but I'm still not entirely put off becoming a pediatrician. Of course it will be distressing at time, especially if you're seeing children suffering from being ill, but on the flipside, it might motivate you to work harder, and feel all the more rewarded to see your decisions pay off and make a kid smile again
0kaySadia_
Rep:
?
(Original post by thorn0123)
You can do it! Keep going mate
Aha, thanks:")

Posted from TSR Mobile
0kaySadia_
Rep:
?
(Original post by oyyoyy)
If you do see yourself becoming a doctor, do you see yourself in any other specialty?

I also wanted to be a pediatrician for a while, but the hardships of that specialty did make me waver a little. Still, I'm applying to med school with an open mind to any specialty, but I'm still not entirely put off becoming a pediatrician. Of course it will be distressing at time, especially if you're seeing children suffering from being ill, but on the flipside, it might motivate you to work harder, and feel all the more rewarded to see your decisions pay off and make a kid smile again
Before the pediatrician idea, I was quite interested in the mental health and counselling side to it (I'm not sure what it's called) but I found too many downsides to it, for me personally.
Yeah, the end result of helping a child and essentially making them happy is my main motivation, I think I'm just a bit worried because I get emotional fairly easily, and obviously I'd have to be professional and separate my emotional attachments and all

Posted from TSR Mobile
littlesmurfette
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why don't you get some work experience and see how you feel about it? It is all well and good reading the positive and negatives on an online article- you might find in real life that the positives you read about are actually the negatives.

No point in doing something to find it isn't what you want to do- a) your wasting your time/money b) your wasting a lecturers time c) your depriving someone who REALLY wants to do it of a place on the course if you get in.

I imagine it is the sort of course that requires you to have experience anyway so it is something you are always going to have to do.
Alice_95
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I know there is a huge different in roles, but as a student paediatric nurse who is in my first placement I feel I can help. I'm going to say it isn't always easy - some parents may be harder to communicate with, some children may not respond to treatment, which is saddening. Seeing suffering can take its toll, but as long as you deal with this it's ok. But don't be put off - when you know you've made a positive difference to a family and a child's life it feels amazing. When you see a child improve and improve from close hourly obs and many complex machines to bounding off home, it's very rewarding. The job really isn't easy, but I'm already finding it hugely fulfilling. I leave work with a huge grin on my face, despite the 12.5 hours of hard work Good luck!
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Keep your options open and don't put all your eggs in one basket.

There is a very, very, long way between YR10 GCSE's and a fully qualified peadiatrician.

And people have a tendency to change an awful lot in the intervening years.

And parents have a tendency to push their kids in a certain (culturally acceptable direction) even when it becomes unhealthy for them to do so.
0kaySadia_
Rep:
?
(Original post by littlesmurfette)
Why don't you get some work experience and see how you feel about it? It is all well and good reading the positive and negatives on an online article- you might find in real life that the positives you read about are actually the negatives.

No point in doing something to find it isn't what you want to do- a) your wasting your time/money b) your wasting a lecturers time c) your depriving someone who REALLY wants to do it of a place on the course if you get in.

I imagine it is the sort of course that requires you to have experience anyway so it is something you are always going to have to do.
I've looked around for any related sort of experience,but nobody will consider letting me do anything unless I'm over 16. Luckily, I turn 16 early in the academic year though, so hopefully I'll find somewhere round about then

Posted from TSR Mobile
gustavus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi

I really wouldn't make any irreversible decisions at this stage!

As someone else said you will change in this time; you will mature and other options may become more or less attractive.

One immediate option is to speak to your careers people and ask them if you can take some tests that look at personality /aptitude and ability - these may show a range of options for you to explore....

Eg looking at the sort of things you state as factors to go into medicine, may suggest other professions too - teaching/special needs teaching, social work, child psychology.

Thinking of friends who are medics they were all seriously interested in the stuff of medicine eg. biology/ physiology /anatomy.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (104)
19.01%
The paper was reasonable (275)
50.27%
Not feeling great about that exam... (109)
19.93%
It was TERRIBLE (59)
10.79%

Watched Threads