Work experience Watch

Leeroy123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi all,

Just a quick question about work experience.

I have been looking at some TC application guidance online and it says don't just write what you did at a law firm but also explain what you got out of the experience and how it developed you.

However, most application forms just ask "give your main tasks and any positions of responsibility".

Does this mean just put the tasks I did or go with what resources such a the citylawlive conference say and also mention what I got out of my experiences?

Many thanks!
LawLad13
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What do you think? If they asked you the question, 'Why do you want to join X LLP?', would you simply come up with a list like: 'overseas opportunities, photocopying, tea-making, money, attractive trainees', or do you think you actually have to elaborate and flesh out your answers? Anyone can make a list... it's how you make it relevant to what they want is where you will succeed.
Leeroy123
Rep:
?
I understand what you are saying but does this mean fleshing out what you did or actually making a brief statement of the tasks then expanding through talking about what those experiences developed.
happyinthehaze
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Try putting three key skills you developed in each task in bullet point form. Yes, you have to 'flesh out' to show evidence of what you learned but no, I wouldn't write loads and loads.

Check out some law CVs online or trainee solicitors' Linked In profiles - see what they put - aim for similar
Leeroy123
Rep:
?
Well for my application in question they ask me to 'outline details/responsibilities'. I constantly hear that one must answer the question they ask. Surely fleshing out what I did in 150 words goes against what they ask?
happyinthehaze
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For those sort of questions, you could put this kind of thing:

Receptionist at Wacky Races Go-Kart Club, Slough Jan - November 2010. Main duties included:

Greeting and seating over 100 customers per day
Operating the company's Excel computer booking system
Keeping detailed risk assessment files for fifty cars

And then save the more detailed 'what did you learn' answers for the more qualitative questions - usually something like 'tell us about a time you were a team member - what was your role and how would you do things differently'
arrowhead
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I always deal with these kinds of questions subjectively. Sometimes, they give you 50 words to describe your work experiences, if so, I stick to outlining main duties/responsibilities of my position in each experience and leave it at that.

Other times, they give you 150-200 words per experience, if so, then I go into more detail and talk about everything I've learnt, etc.

Use your discretion.
Leeroy123
Rep:
?
I agree, it is a lot of words to purely describe responsibilities, which anyone can do following their placements.

The problem is I hear conflicting views from the same bodies that you must answer the question given and then go on to say people fail on the work experience sectiona as they do not sell their experiences correctly. Surely this question just wants my tasks ?
arrowhead
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Leeroy123)
I agree, it is a lot of words to purely describe responsibilities, which anyone can do following their placements.

The problem is I hear conflicting views from the same bodies that you must answer the question given and then go on to say people fail on the work experience sectiona as they do not sell their experiences correctly. Surely this question just wants my tasks ?
Then only write about your tasks if that's what you think you should be doing.

Honestly, there's no right and wrong way to approach something this minor. Also, I suspect the advice given to you about people mucking up by not answering the question asked applies much more to competency questions than brief work experience descriptions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (135)
25%
The paper was reasonable (239)
44.26%
Not feeling great about that exam (103)
19.07%
It was TERRIBLE (63)
11.67%

Watched Threads