Arctic 30 Watch

Johnstun
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
The MHoC would wish to make the following statement about the Arctic 30 incident:

(Original post by MHoC, VM210)
This House believes that the response of the Russian authorities to the legitimate protest of 30 Greenpeace activists collectively known as the 'Arctic 30' has been disproportionate and draconian. Forty-three days ago, 30 Greenpeace activists on board the Arctic Sunrise were arrested for attempting to board the Prirazlomnaya oil platform to stop its plan to start drilling. The Greenpeace ship was boarded in a military-style assault, seized by Russian security and towed to the nearest port in Murmansk region.

The charges have been gradually changed from 'piracy' to 'hooliganism', a charge that still levies a seven-year prison sentence and the detentions have done nothing but overshadowed a very serious issue of the polar ice caps melting. This House believes this to be an outrage to human rights and calls on the Government to put pressure on the diplomatic community in moving for the collective release of the protesters. We also call upon the Foreign Secretary of the TSR Government to take this issue to the General Assembly and the Security Council in the Model United Nations, to help pressurize the Russian authorities into releasing the captives.
The following statement was democratically passed by the house. As MHoC delegate, I urge Russia to immediately release the people involved, and invite fellow delegates to join us in condemning their imprisonment.
alexgr97
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Israel supports the Russian government to an extent - the activists should not have been trying to board the oil rig. It was stupid and dangerous, and the full penalty should be brought against them for this. Israel would, however, like to suggest that the proper measures are taken against them, rather than additional charges.
Moist Penguin
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Russia responds by taying they were invading a privately owned vessel with intent to cause disruption and damage to the vessel. The Russian coastguard performed its duties in defending a highly sensitive structure. They were warned that any attempt to scale the rig would be taken as a hostile act and would be in Violation of the UN's convention of the law of the Sea (Part 2 Article 19).

Indonesia is aware of the threat to the global environment but feels that the actions of Greenpeace were inappropriate and will not be an effective solution to the problem. As such we do not feel that they should be face the consequences of assaulting a vessel.

OOC: As far as I am aware the UN's convention of the law of the Sea still holds in the MUN if not then I've made a mistake but Russia's viewpoint remains unchanged.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...ce-future.html

http://www.un.org/depts/los/conventi...s/closindx.htm
Henry_Tudor
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Germany believes that citizens of the world have the right to protest however not in such ways which Green Peace has displayed thus echoing Russia's point.

[SIZE=1]Posted from TSR Mobile[/SIZ
Wawasan
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Malaysia echoes the sentiments of Israel. We support the right to protest but, given such circumstances in which this particular protests took place, the right measures need to be agreed upon to ensure that future protests of such nature may not happen in the future.
Blue Meltwater
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Democratic People's Republic of Korea fully supports the Russian position, and would wish to commend their remarkable restraint towards dealing with this violent act in the name of an absurd ideology.
Superunknown17
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
France fully agrees with the MHoC's position on the matter. The charge of hooliganism is outrageous and I urge all members of the MUN to condemn the actions of the Russian government as they have acted completely irrationally.
Moist Penguin
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Superunknown17)
France fully agrees with the MHoC's position on the matter. The charge of hooliganism is outrageous and I urge all members of the MUN to condemn the actions of the Russian government as they have acted completely irrationally.
Russia reject France's suggestion that we have acted irrationally we have protected our territory and our infrastructure against unnecessary damage from violent activists. While we support the idea that climate change is an issue we do not see this as an issue that can be tackled by vandalism and piracy. As such we say that our actions are perfectly in line and proportional to the crime committed.

Edit: given a recent update from President Vladimir Putin we shall continue to maintain our economic and military presence within the arctic against these kinds of attacks on Russian sovereignty.

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/World...at--Putin.aspx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (423)
30.26%
The paper was reasonable (551)
39.41%
Not feeling great about that exam... (239)
17.1%
It was TERRIBLE (185)
13.23%

Watched Threads