Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What are the major problems associated with making a humanoid robot? I can't see why it hasn't been done yet, all you need are a load of hydraulic or pneumatic cylinders attached to a computer control system and a motor to power it all? Surely if we can send man to the moon we can do this?

ReputationRep:
    It has been done, lots. Unless I'm missing something about your question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    It has been done, lots. Unless I'm missing something about your question?

Good ol' Japanese.

Ok so it's been done so why is this not commercially available? Why are they not everywhere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WGR)
    What are the major problems associated with making a humanoid robot? I can't see why it hasn't been done yet, all you need are a load of hydraulic or pneumatic cylinders attached to a computer control system and a motor to power it all? Surely if we can send man to the moon we can do this?
    Humanoid Robots are already here (Asimo) but if you are reffering to actuall proper robots like you see in say I-Robot, i could go into a like a really indepth eassy as to why they arn't here yet (basically my degree in a nutshell) but basically we don't have the techology to be able to re-create the human brain to that standard, as for the motors best robot can only run like someone is who constapated (love using that analogy)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WGR)
    Good ol' Japanese.

Ok so it's been done so why is this not commercially available? Why are they not everywhere?
    Because it's probably damn expensive and the AI available aren't advanced enough yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tcrumpen)
    Humanoid Robots are already here (Asimo) but if you are reffering to actuall proper robots like you see in say I-Robot, i could go into a like a really indepth eassy as to why they arn't here yet (basically my degree in a nutshell) but basically we don't have the techology to be able to re-create the human brain to that standard, as for the motors best robot can only run like someone is who constapated (love using that analogy)
    Made me chuckle. I need your brain. Basically I asked the question because I'm working on a new type of robot muscle. I need to know what are the limitations of current actuators. I keep hearing that hydraulic/pneumatic control is complicated but I don't know why exactly. As for the AI I'm not really concerned with that at the moment, just the raw mechanics of making a replica human.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.