getting offers Watch

queenfatso
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
My predicted grades are CCC but my ALPS targets are BBC, I want to apply for an accountancy & finance course, do universities take in account your alps too? Because my predictions are low and I'm scared that I won't get accepted into any universities that I applied for
And also
do uni's use your gcse grades too?
your personal statement and reference?
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Universities take into account the predicted grades that your teacher writes in the reference. This is one of the most important parts of the application.

They will also consider your AS grades, your GCSE grades, your PS (usually) and your reference (though they're all universally glowing nowadays).

If you think that you are going to get substantially hgiher grades, then you may be better off just taking a gap year and reapplying when you have your grades in hand.
queenfatso
Rep:
?
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
Universities take into account the predicted grades that your teacher writes in the reference. This is one of the most important parts of the application.

They will also consider your AS grades, your GCSE grades, your PS (usually) and your reference (though they're all universally glowing nowadays).

If you think that you are going to get substantially hgiher grades, then you may be better off just taking a gap year and reapplying when you have your grades in hand.
But some universities don't like students having a gap year, for example top universities.

I've sent my ucas off, but if my predicted grades increase in January, will there be a chance that I call up the universities that I have a higher predicted grade?
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by queenfatso)
But some universities don't like students having a gap year, for example top universities.
This is not true. The only exception to that is maths courses, where universities worry you get rusty. Otherwise, it's fine.
I've sent my ucas off, but if my predicted grades increase in January, will there be a chance that I call up the universities that I have a higher predicted grade?
No, you can't. Universities are understandably not going to believe any student who phones up and claims their grades are better. Your referee could contact them but few are willing to do so and many universities will have made up their minds by then.
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Universities, including top unis, are absolutely fine with people taking gap years. I'm at a Russell Group, and a high proportion of people I know had gap years.

Gap years can actually improve your chances substantially. Not only do you have achieved grades (which makes you a safer bet), you're a year older and more mature. If, for instance, you were applying for an MFL and spent time in that country, so much the better. The only exception is maths, because it's felt that those skills are lost too quickly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
queenfatso
Rep:
?
(Original post by carnationlilyrose)
can't universities just reconsider my application? (providing my referee is happy to change my predicted grades?)
queenfatso
Rep:
?
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
Universities, including top unis, are absolutely fine with people taking gap years. I'm at a Russell Group, and a high proportion of people I know had gap years.

Gap years can actually improve your chances substantially. Not only do you have achieved grades (which makes you a safer bet), you're a year older and more mature. If, for instance, you were applying for an MFL and spent time in that country, so much the better. The only exception is maths, because it's felt that those skills are lost too quickly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ah thank you, this helps
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
can't universities just reconsider my application? (providing my referee is happy to change my predicted grades?)
If they have already rejected you, they have no duty to reconsider your application, and they are very unlikely to do so. If they have not yet given you a decision, then they may take into account new information, but they will have already seen your UCAS form, and may be doubtful of your new predicted grades.

I agree that taking a gap year out and reapplying may be your best option.

WRT GCSES, most courses at most universities will have specific grade requirements for English and maths (usually a C or a B) which you HAVE to meet. They may also have a specific requirement for a MFL, or science, but this is more unusual. They may also consider your GCSE grades in general to look at your overall accademic profile.
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I can't say never, but they don't usually revisit rejected applications.
Danu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
or you could go for adjustment
Jess_1324
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I agree with Danu.
If you don't want to take a gap year (and it's unlikely that Unis will reconsider an application after rejecting it) then adjustment on results day seems to be the only other option
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (129)
24.86%
The paper was reasonable (229)
44.12%
Not feeling great about that exam (100)
19.27%
It was TERRIBLE (61)
11.75%

Watched Threads