Turn on thread page Beta

I like a girl who has been a close friend of mine for the last 4 years or so. I am pretty sure she has liked me in the past and may still. I want to know what I can do to make her think of me as more than just a friend, or how I can act in order to find out if she already does. (I'm not going to come out and ask her) Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    I was actually going to say just ask her until you mentioned that you won't

I think maybe try and analyse her body language when she's with you? Like how does she respond when you gently touch her arm or something, does she feel comfortable?

Or maybe ask her if she would want to have dinner some time and stuff like that. It should get her thinking considering she's a girl after all (all girls think and analyse)

If you really don't know, then maybe ask her friends? She may have told one of them.

Worst comes to worst, you just gotta suck it up and ask her because then you'll know the truth straight from the source. Life is too short to be guessing!

Hope this helps, I was just trying to think of likely scenarios considering I'm a girl myself. If one of my friends who was a boy (that I liked or fancied) I would honestly want to know if he liked me the same way because I did. I guess I never told him because I didn't want him to feel weird about it after - he's my best friend too but sometimes I think back to things we talk about and the secrets we share and keep, and it just feels so easy to be a couple if you know what I mean?

Ah! Anyways, I'm rambling! If you really feel something special for this girl, I advise to make it really obvious. It'd be heartbreaking to know down the line if she went out with someone else because she didn't think you liked her the same way. It would hurt the both of you if she found out that you did when she was in a serious relationship for example because then she feels guilt and regret, and you would feel that loss of what could have been.

Good luck and all the best! Let me know how it goes!

(Original post by nguyenj)
    I was actually going to say just ask her until you mentioned that you won't

I think maybe try and analyse her body language when she's with you? Like how does she respond when you gently touch her arm or something, does she feel comfortable?

Or maybe ask her if she would want to have dinner some time and stuff like that. It should get her thinking considering she's a girl after all (all girls think and analyse)

If you really don't know, then maybe ask her friends? She may have told one of them.

Worst comes to worst, you just gotta suck it up and ask her because then you'll know the truth straight from the source. Life is too short to be guessing!

Hope this helps, I was just trying to think of likely scenarios considering I'm a girl myself. If one of my friends who was a boy (that I liked or fancied) I would honestly want to know if he liked me the same way because I did. I guess I never told him because I didn't want him to feel weird about it after - he's my best friend too but sometimes I think back to things we talk about and the secrets we share and keep, and it just feels so easy to be a couple if you know what I mean?

Ah! Anyways, I'm rambling! If you really feel something special for this girl, I advise to make it really obvious. It'd be heartbreaking to know down the line if she went out with someone else because she didn't think you liked her the same way. It would hurt the both of you if she found out that you did when she was in a serious relationship for example because then she feels guilt and regret, and you would feel that loss of what could have been.

Good luck and all the best! Let me know how it goes!
    Thanks for the reply.

1. Firstly, she always touches my arm or grabs me when we are talking or joking around, I'm a bit nervous/awkward with girls as more than friends to be honest due to lack of experience so I generally do not do the same back, however she seems very comfortable doing it to me.

2. I have liked her a long time as she is a good friend and I used to be pretty certain she liked me from the way she acted, but I never could bring myself to do anything due to nerves. Her friend said to me once a while ago that we obviously like each other and I should make a move but I never did.

3. I get what you mean, I feel like that with her, I trust her more than anyone else and she has shared things with me when she has been upset or needed someone to talk to.

4. This is what I am worried about. To be honest I don't really want a girlfriend at this moment in time but I do really like her a lot and I would hate to miss my chance forever. She has had a few boyfriends in the time I have liked her but that has never worried me because I just had a feeling they wouldn't last, however now we are getting older (both 19) I feel that sooner or later she will get into a serious relationship.

At the end of the day I probably just need to man up, but it is hard to do for the first time, I'm just kind of hoping it will fall into place naturally. Wishful thinking!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for the reply.

1. Firstly, she always touches my arm or grabs me when we are talking or joking around, I'm a bit nervous/awkward with girls as more than friends to be honest due to lack of experience so I generally do not do the same back, however she seems very comfortable doing it to me.

2. I have liked her a long time as she is a good friend and I used to be pretty certain she liked me from the way she acted, but I never could bring myself to do anything due to nerves. Her friend said to me once a while ago that we obviously like each other and I should make a move but I never did.

3. I get what you mean, I feel like that with her, I trust her more than anyone else and she has shared things with me when she has been upset or needed someone to talk to.

4. This is what I am worried about. To be honest I don't really want a girlfriend at this moment in time but I do really like her a lot and I would hate to miss my chance forever. She has had a few boyfriends in the time I have liked her but that has never worried me because I just had a feeling they wouldn't last, however now we are getting older (both 19) I feel that sooner or later she will get into a serious relationship.

At the end of the day I probably just need to man up, but it is hard to do for the first time, I'm just kind of hoping it will fall into place naturally. Wishful thinking!
    I think my only advice would to be taking everyday a small step at a time. From what you said about the "feeling" about her relationships not lasting makes me feel as if you really understand and just get each other.

Hopefully this would be the case where being together will be effortless in time to come. I can honestly tell you care a lot and how much you really like her in the way you write.

I really hope it works out for you - when you do feel like you are ready/want a girlfriend and you're completely sure, tell her.

Don't be afraid, okay? I have faith in you, dude. YOU GOT THIS.

ReputationRep:
    Propose to her in marriage, if she says yes. You do the thang until your satisfied and move on to the next thang . If she says no you've saved time and can swiftly move on to the next thang.

ReputationRep:
    Just tell her!!.... Yes I know you don't want to /feel nervous.....

Biggest Q; how would you feel is she fell head over heels with someone else and announced she was getting hitched??! This could happen....

Just say 'I feel really nervous asking this, but I'll kick myself forever If i don't.....'

Simples!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the replies. Like I said, I do think the only option I have is just to man up and be more confident, I guess I just wanted other peoples opinions and a bit of reassurance because I know that I will not be able to. Hopefully in time, as I get older I will just become more confident.

Another reason I don't want to ask her is because I have not had a girlfriend before, I think I will make a **** boyfriend and I would blow my chance. I feel like I should have some experience/practice first, but she is really the only girl I like.

ReputationRep:
    The only way to ever do it is to be up front and prepare for the 'no'.

ReputationRep:
    OP, the key is bumsecks. :teeth:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Be prepared for an awkward friendship if she says no

(Original post by ChaosisaLadder)
    Be prepared for an awkward friendship if she says no
    that's another reason I can't bring myself to ask her, I could more on without acting any different but I'm sure she would think of me differently and it would be awkward. It would be a shame to lose a close friend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    that's another reason I can't bring myself to ask her, I could more on without acting any different but I'm sure she would think of me differently and it would be awkward. It would be a shame to lose a close friend
    I doubt she'd stop being your friend altogether but in my experience when i've asked out girl friends they said no its never the same again.

My advice: Don't ask unless there is some sort of sign she's interested romantically.

(Original post by ChaosisaLadder)
    I doubt she'd stop being your friend altogether but in my experience when i've asked out girl friends they said no its never the same again.

My advice: Don't ask unless there is some sort of sign she's interested romantically.
    Thanks, I think that is what I will do, wait until (if) she gives some kind of obvious sign or makes a move herself.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 22, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.