Question for people who have completed Access Courses and at Uni now. Watch

PC2852
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Does the amount of hours and independent studying increase significantly in Uni? Or is there a similar amount of hours you study?
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would imagine it does.
SteelRose
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It depends on the course. Some uni courses will only have you in uni for about 16 hours a week. Some are a lot more. There is no set amount of independent study that you have to do. Like most things, you get out what you put in.
Lethorio
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's far higher for me (Biomedical Science at Warwick). The sheer amount of information you have to absorb is staggering.
El Scotto
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PC2852)
Does the amount of hours and independent studying increase significantly in Uni? Or is there a similar amount of hours you study?
For me, the access course was the hardest thing as it was really intensive. Once I got to university with the work ethic established by the access course it was easier. (Until the 3rd year!)
BigV
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PC2852)
Well the answer to that question depends on a lot of different factors really; I think the subject you are studying and how well you want to do are two of the main factors.

Access courses are very rushed and there is a huge amount of work to do in a very tight time slot. The only way to successfully complete an Access course (with good grades) is to attend every class and study extensively outside of class.

At university there is just as much if not more content to cover, but the academic year is longer and you get time off to revise for exams, so generally you can pace yourself better.

I'm doing Computer Science and I find for every lecture I spend maybe 1 hour reading the slides at home and researching things I don't understand. For every practical lab task I can spend 2 hours in class and then anything from 0 to 4 hours at home, depending on how hard the problem is!

So I would say yes, the overall quantity of independent study increases but it is actually easier to manage because it is spread more thinly across the year.
lindsay2910
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As the person before me said it depends on the course you do. I am on an nhs funded course and do 3 days in uni with 2 days of independent study, if I am in placement it is 5 days with a halfway study leave. I don't get holiday from june till september either and you are expected to have 90% attendance.

I would recommend if you are able to you attend every lecture because there is so much more information to absorb than at access.

I must say it is the most rewarding thing I have ever done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (49)
14.12%
The paper was reasonable (175)
50.43%
Not feeling great about that exam... (83)
23.92%
It was TERRIBLE (40)
11.53%

Watched Threads