What is the UKMT Senior Team Challenge? Watch

Derp96
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
In a moment of desperation, I was asked to participate in this. I'm not exactly sure what it is? More em portably though, I'm not sure what sort of questions will be asked? Are they the same sort of questions as were asked in the maths challenge?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mr M
  • Study Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Derp96)
In a moment of desperation, I was asked to participate in this. I'm not exactly sure what it is? More em portably though, I'm not sure what sort of questions will be asked? Are they the same sort of questions as were asked in the maths challenge?

Thanks
If you are competing in Norwich tomorrow then you can meet me! More em portably I'll even sign an autograph for you for a modest fee.

http://www.fmnetwork.org.uk/?section...stmc_materials
Phichi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's dire. That is ofcourse when you're stuck next to the speaker of which was turned incredibly loud to accompany people who couldn't hear at the back, and the lady has a sharp creaky voice. Not to mention the fact you have a migraine already, are about to be sick, at the same time as doing maths, which requires you to solve quadratics of terms exceeding multiple thousands, without a calculator. That's my Senior Team Challenge.
Derp96
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Mr M)
If you are competing in Norwich tomorrow then you can meet me! More em portably I'll even sign an autograph for you for a modest fee.

http://www.fmnetwork.org.uk/?section...stmc_materials
Aha, disappointingly, I will be competing in Chippenham. Perhaps you could post that autograph?

(Original post by Phichi)
It's dire. That is ofcourse when you're stuck next to the speaker of which was turned incredibly loud to accompany people who couldn't hear at the back, and the lady has a sharp creaky voice. Not to mention the fact you have a migraine already, are about to be sick, at the same time as doing maths, which requires you to solve quadratics of terms exceeding multiple thousands, without a calculator. That's my Senior Team Challenge.

Anything in particular you'd recommend brushing up on? Do I need to remember any formulae (cosine rule, quadratic formula, volume of a sphere, etc)?

Thanks
Mr M
  • Study Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anything in particular you'd recommend brushing up on? Do I need to remember any formulae (cosine rule, quadratic formula, volume of a sphere, etc)?

Thanks
You should recognise the Fibonacci numbers.
Flauta
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just taken part in it for the 3rd time. It's really fun and it's not really like the maths you get in A-level, it mostly uses basic GCSE/AS ideas. It's non calculator so you have to be pretty good at multiplying and dividing large numbers together. The middle round is pretty fun, you get this thing called a crossnumber which is like a crossword, one pair gets down clues one pair gets the across clues.
Phichi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Thanks
If you want to win, i'd suggest writing down square numbers, cube numbers, fibonacci numbers down on paper at the start of every round, they always come in handy. Obviously you are expected to know every formulae under the sun, involving maths from GCSE to AS level, you won't get any A2 level, trig, calculus and such. For example, they are obsessed with polygons, and interior angles.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (305)
31.03%
The paper was reasonable (397)
40.39%
Not feeling great about that exam... (159)
16.17%
It was TERRIBLE (122)
12.41%

Watched Threads