boyfriend troubles (obsessed with maths) Watch

green19
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
first 2 paragraphs are just background info jump to paragraph 3 for problem

Me and my boyfriend have been together for just over a year now. Things started a bit strangely, he asked me out and I said I didn't want want to go out with him however he said 'well im going to call you my girlfriend anyway' this really annoyed me because I enjoyed his company but didn't want a boyfriend at that time.

Either way we grew close over the months and I fell in love everything was going fine. Then he started to do odd things apparently its because he doesn't understand social norms (according to him) once he pinned me down on the bed and spat on my face, I was incredibley mad at him, we had a huge argument but continued the relationship. He did lots of odd things like this.

Either way he's stopped doing this now (thankfully) but now we have nothing to talk about he literally isn't interested in anything asides maths. He studies it at uni and tells me about the things he's been doing. Now this wouldn't be a problem if I understood a word he said. He knows this as I have told him multiple times, yet he continues to do it. I try my best to understand but I literally just scraped a b at gcse and that was 4 years ago! I try to tell him about my subject (business) but he just argues about how stupid it is. I try to tell him about interesting things i find in my day but he thinks their boring. I've asked him about other things he does in his day but he doesn't think their worth talking about. I really don't know what to do, its got to the point where he will just talk at me about maths for at least a hour with me just saying the occasional yes. The main problem is if he stops talking maths at me there will literally be nothing. It has gotten to the point where I just don't know what to do anymore!! Can anyone help
placenta medicae talpae
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You two are made for each other.
Sazzy890
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sounds like you have nothing in common so I would recommend getting out of the relationship. You can't change a person or what he enjoys, but if him or his 'hobbies' do not match up to what you would want from a boyfriend you should move on.
Coral Reafs
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by green19)

Me and my boyfriend have been together for just over a year now. Things started a bit strangely, he asked me out and I said I didn't want want to go out with him however he said 'well im going to call you my girlfriend anyway' this really annoyed me because I enjoyed his company but didn't want a boyfriend at that time.

Either way we grew close over the months and I fell in love everything was going fine. Then he started to do odd things apparently its because he doesn't understand social norms (according to him) once he pinned me down on the bed and spat on my face, I was incredibley mad at him, we had a huge argument but continued the relationship. He did lots of odd things like this.

Either way he's stopped doing this now (thankfully) but now we have nothing to talk about he literally isn't interested in anything asides maths. He studies it at uni and tells me about the things he's been doing. Now this wouldn't be a problem if I understood a word he said. He knows this as I have told him multiple times, yet he continues to do it. I try my best to understand but I literally just scraped a b at gcse and that was 4 years ago! I try to tell him about my subject (business) but he just argues about how stupid it is. I try to tell him about interesting things i find in my day but he thinks their boring. I've asked him about other things he does in his day but he doesn't think their worth talking about. I really don't know what to do, its got to the point where he will just talk at me about maths for at least a hour with me just saying the occasional yes. The main problem is if he stops talking maths at me there will literally be nothing. It has gotten to the point where I just don't know what to do anymore!! Can anyone help
it's time 4 u 2 go.
BWV1007
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Umm. You want an advice? Go marry him.

A real advice? Break the relationship.
Sidhant Shivram
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think the guy's mad😌...he spat on your face...in fact, I'm sure he's mad...😐😐😐

Posted from TSR Mobile
User990473
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Right now, you have nothing in common and he's not making an effort to take an interest in what you do. What is there that you are clinging on to in the relationship? Do you like the spitting or something?
Antifazian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Surprised you've lasted this long, get rid of him he's not really a good match is he.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
OP it does sound like he's on the spectrum, though. Do a bit of research, specifically about what it's like to date somebody with autism, and that should give you an insight into some of his behaviours it should help, and you could perhaps discuss things with him. Just make sure you don't say it in an accusing way - there's nothing wrong with being autistic, it's not because of anything he's done wrong, and I would hope you won't treat him any differently because of it.

EDIT: This was edited by a mod and now makes it sound as though I was talking to myself. I wasn't haha. Just saying :P.

Also I don't really appreciate my comments about my autistic partner being deleted. It was a point that still needed to be made.
Orangecake
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Two things stand out for me:

"he pinned me down on the bed and spat on my face, "

"we have nothing to talk about he"

It definitely doesn't sound like fun.I wouldn't carry on...
User990473
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
My partner is autistic and he's the kindest, most loving and genuinely thoughtful person I've ever met. I've been with him for four and a half years and yes there are challenges but there are also things that are much better than any other relationship I've ever had - for example he's incredibly loyal and truthful, and always puts me first no matter what. Your comments are uneducated and immature. And if you attempt to say that your comments were a joke then in a way that's even worse - people with autism already struggle enough to be accepted into mainstream society once they gain that label.

OP it does sound like he's on the spectrum, though. Do a bit of research, specifically about what it's like to date somebody with autism, and that should give you an insight into some of his behaviours it should help, and you could perhaps discuss things with him. Just make sure you don't say it in an accusing way - there's nothing wrong with being autistic, it's not because of anything he's done wrong, and I would hope you won't treat him any differently because of it.
I'd just like to add to this.

I was pretty offended by what the person you quoted said. My brother has autism and is a really nice guy. Sometimes he doesn't understand facial expressions or metaphors etc but he's really thoughtful. He's 15 so hasn't been in any long term relationships yet but he's managed short term ones fine. Noone outside of family/teachers etc knows he is autistic and noone would know unless they were told or an expert.
Daniellejo.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It doesn't really sound much like you love him. I'm not sure I'd be able to love someone either after they pinned me down and spat in my face :afraid:. I'm confused though; was he doing this sexually or angrily? Either way, that's a big misunderstanding of 'social norms'.
I'm not even sure why you're asking this question, it's pretty obvious what you should (and seemingly want to) do.
PeaceTreaty
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sounds like you only like him because of his looks. Just dump him, you'll find someone else anyway.
Ndella
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
He sounds insane, for your sake dump him.
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Pinning you down and spitting in your face......:lolwut:. Not gonna lie though, that made me laugh :lol:

But yeah OP, sounds like you have nothing in common so continuing the relationship seems pointless.
spocckka
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This guy's definitely on the spectrum.
musketeer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sounds like autism spectrum imo also. I think reading up on it is a good idea, see if there's a way you can work through it together, maybe he doesn't know how to talk to you about stuff?

If you still have nothing in common, you may have to end the relationship but try and talk to him about autism first.
Pastaferian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
xx
If you're unhappy with the relationship, and you see no signs that it will get better, you need to split up.

You may have to explain it to him as a 'long division'
Studentus-anonymous
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Okay so you didn't want a relationship and you got into a relationship without your express consent because he said so, he doesn't understand boundaries and manners to the extent of spitting on your face and to top if off there is no chemistry and you have nothing to talk about and nothing in common?

I'd say dump him because it's the obvious choice, but then you pretty much gave up and accepted a relationship you didn't want in the first place, so you likely don't have the will-power to do it.
someonesomewherexx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Please dump him and I'm not saying this because he's Autistic but because he treats you like ****. Ok?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (302)
30.91%
The paper was reasonable (395)
40.43%
Not feeling great about that exam... (159)
16.27%
It was TERRIBLE (121)
12.38%

Watched Threads