The Student Room Group

boyfriend troubles (obsessed with maths)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
He pinned you down on the bed and spat on your face?

Jesus Christ. GET OUT, GIRL. That's abusive. That is why you don't date socially awkward retards.
and this ladies and gentlemen, is an example of an incompatible relationship...
He sounds like a riiight prat
I agree that it sounds like he may well be on the autism spectrum - do look into it a bit, OP. However, if you're not right together you're not right together - I personally don't think you should stay in an unhappy relationship due to a diagnosis.
Reply 24
sounds like he has 99 math problems and you just aren't one of them.
I think you should talk to him about all of this. If you feel like you can't cope then maybe it will be best for the both of you to end the relationship.
(edited 10 years ago)
Sounds like your boyfriend is on the Autism spectrum. It's your choice what you decide to do with that information.
Match made in heaven.

(Jokes aside, why the **** are you still with him? He clearly doesn't respect you and ****.)
Please keep replies sensible, any nasty/unhelpful comments will be removed and warned.
Even if your bf is a bit autistic, and can't quite grasp social cues, (and I think he may be) It does NOT in any way excuse or justify how he is treating you. The fact he is blaming your for his failings and being a hipocrite says he won't be prepared to see and accept his faults, which means he won't be prepared to change.

Its pretty clear that you have nothing in common... even if you did at first. Sounds like the relationship has hit a brick wall and its time to end it. Considering how he has been within the relationship, I would be careful how you go about this. Have someone with you for support or have someone to contact you shortly after to make sure you're safe in case he gets aggressive.
Reply 30
Original post by green19
first 2 paragraphs are just background info jump to paragraph 3 for problemMe and my boyfriend have been together for just over a year now. Things started a bit strangely, he asked me out and I said I didn't want want to go out with him however he said 'well im going to call you my girlfriend anyway' this really annoyed me because I enjoyed his company but didn't want a boyfriend at that time. Either way we grew close over the months and I fell in love everything was going fine. Then he started to do odd things apparently its because he doesn't understand social norms (according to him) once he pinned me down on the bed and spat on my face, I was incredibley mad at him, we had a huge argument but continued the relationship. He did lots of odd things like this.Either way he's stopped doing this now (thankfully) but now we have nothing to talk about he literally isn't interested in anything asides maths. He studies it at uni and tells me about the things he's been doing. Now this wouldn't be a problem if I understood a word he said. He knows this as I have told him multiple times, yet he continues to do it. I try my best to understand but I literally just scraped a b at gcse and that was 4 years ago! I try to tell him about my subject (business) but he just argues about how stupid it is. I try to tell him about interesting things i find in my day but he thinks their boring. I've asked him about other things he does in his day but he doesn't think their worth talking about. I really don't know what to do, its got to the point where he will just talk at me about maths for at least a hour with me just saying the occasional yes. The main problem is if he stops talking maths at me there will literally be nothing. It has gotten to the point where I just don't know what to do anymore!! Can anyone help
Did he just say Business is stupid!? Anyways, You do know Maths and Business have so much in common?
Reply 31
Hey :smile: my brother has something called Asperger's syndrome or as it's called now, autistic spectrum disorder. Can I just say your boyfriend is behaving In the exact same way as my brother does. Is it possible he is autistic?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Thanks for all of the help.

In regards the autism a lot of the younger children in his family have been diagnosed with aspergers (cant spell that, sorry) it so it is a possibility that he genuinely can't grasp social norms. I have spoken to him about it before and he thinks he doesn't have it so won't bother getting check out. Lol, no this wasn't in a sexual way, he was tiggling me one min then the next he decided to do that, I can only assume he was playing (this is what he said). This isn't really a problem anymore, he is not abusive. If he does something I don't like visa versa we just discuss it and don't do it again or explain our reasons for doing it.

My main problem is the communication breakdown. Is it really worth breaking up with someone that you used to talk about everything with, just because more recently he has only been able to talk about maths. Maybe if I had some better convo topics it would flow better? thoughts please
Reply 33
Once you start running out of things to talk about, it's hard to come back from it. A relationship is based on communication, being able to discuss things, debate, speculate. If you're struggling to find things to talk about, and have done for a while, I don't think the relationship will work as you have nothing in common.
sounds like sheldon cooper on molly
Original post by mortalmaggot

:rofl:

i know i shudnt be laughin at this topic... :colone:
Reply 36
just break up, your obviously dislike spending time with him
Reply 37
Original post by mortalmaggot

Ironically he has been called Sheldon a lot.

To all of you that said about autism, I have looked into it today and it is perfectly possible. It is something we have talked about in the past as some of the children in his family have been diagnosed with it, but he doesn't think he has it and won't get checked out professionally.

So last night comes and he calls (he calls every night) and for once the whole convo isn't about maths. We talked about loads of different things, I really didn't want to get off the phone . Its not that I dislike spending time with him I just don't like the maths obsession. The problem being that the maths obsession is huge. I just don't know if it is worth hanging around waiting for moments last night. I honestly do love him to bits just wondering if he will be happier with a fellow maths lover. it's one of those things, when its going well its wonderful but the wonderful times are not that common but the bad times aren't that bad, they just aren't something I look forward to
I was saying this earlier, a scientist cannot have the love of their life AND science. In order to truly have one, you cannot have the other. :yep:

Flippant comments aside, if you're not happy you should leave. It's not good to be in a relationship when you're unhappy.
Reply 39
Original post by placenta medicae talpae
You two are made for each other.

This :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending