To lie or not to lie - that is the question. Watch

Poll: Which would be the happiest?
The current situation (7)
29.17%
A world where no one ever lied (5)
20.83%
Telling less lies than now, but still some (6)
25%
I don't care, just wanted to get my poll fix for today (6)
25%
ChocoCoatedLemons
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I tell lies every single day. I'm pretty convinced we all do, on a very small scale. And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that.

But because of this culture of lying automatically in certain situations, we've constructed a very delicate social environment where, if you don't observe the rules of "white lies", you're deemed to be too blunt and too forthright.

I just wanted to see what you guys thought would be better - what we have now, or a world where you could always say what you really felt? Which do you think would be the happier society?
Watch Key Phone
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm not sure what would make society happier. But I would certainly prefer if lying wasn't a norm. I have real trouble lying at all, so I'd feel a lot more equal with everyone else if no-one else did it either.
FlavaFavourFruit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I hate lying, feels like betraying myself
Moosferatu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The current situation.

It's all good, man.
Scoobster
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think Immanuel Kant's philosophy on morality and lying is just too extreme. To the point in which he said if an axe-wielding murderer was intent on killing somebody that was upstairs and you knew they were upstairs, you should not lie if asked if they were upstairs - I just can't accept that.

We all subconsciously bend the truth which is fine tbh, apparently 7 times per day on average. I think there's a strong differences between lying to deceive and white lies. Though I do feel sorry for those who lie to impress. I used to work with a kid who'd lie through his teeth to the point where he genuinely started to believe his own lies, it's like he was gas lighting himself daily. He meant no harm by it, but I felt sorry for him, that he felt he needed to act like that.

White lies are fine
Extremotroph
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons)
I tell lies every single day. I'm pretty convinced we all do, on a very small scale. And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that.

But because of this culture of lying automatically in certain situations, we've constructed a very delicate social environment where, if you don't observe the rules of "white lies", you're deemed to be too blunt and too forthright.

I just wanted to see what you guys thought would be better - what we have now, or a world where you could always say what you really felt? Which do you think would be the happier society?
As Moos said, the current situation. You make an excellent observation, but you fail to realise you have the freedom to act as you wish. To answer your question, a happy society is grown from happy people, so do what makes you happy.
ChocoCoatedLemons
Rep:
?
(Original post by Extremotroph)
As Moos said, the current situation. You make an excellent observation, but you fail to realise you have the freedom to act as you wish. To answer your question, a happy society is grown from happy people, so do what makes you happy.
That's somewhat simplistic. If mass murder makes me happy, I doubt my indulgence of this would create a happy society.
techno-thriller
Badges: 14
Report 5 years ago
Lying is bad :naughty:
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
Report 5 years ago
I used to tell porky pies all the time when I was younger :teehee:

I try to be a bit more honest these days, though :yep:
Extremotroph
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's somewhat simplistic. If mass murder makes me happy, I doubt my indulgence of this would create a happy society.
Do whatever you want. The obvious counter argument is that there are deterring consequences to an act of murder.
Kallisto
  • Entertainment Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm an honest guy who was bred to never lie. Sometimes - if it is better to do that - I tell a white lie, otherwise I'm so honest that I'm offensive to my people in my surrounding.
Coral Reafs
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
ur studying law, that explains it
Charlottelt
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Have you watched "The Invention of Lying"? With your mind heading down this sorta ponderings we should watch it the next time you're over. A rare comedy in horror movie house.
ChocoCoatedLemons
Rep:
?
(Original post by Charlottelt)
Have you watched "The Invention of Lying"? With your mind heading down this sorta ponderings we should watch it the next time you're over. A rare comedy in horror movie house.
Oooh, I haven't. Good idea, we shall.
lucas13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
if noone could lie a lot of feelings would be hurt
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (221)
22.97%
The paper was reasonable (430)
44.7%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.09%
It was TERRIBLE (137)
14.24%

Watched Threads