Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    This week is Anti-Bullying Week. During this week schools, charities and the media focus on the issue of bullying to raise awareness and encourage young people to take the lead on creating a society where bullying has no place.

This is a cause we fully support. TSR is firmly committed to keep the site a safe and friendly environment, every week of the year. Check out our Anti-Bullying Week hub, to read about the measures and precautions we take against cyber-bullying. You'll also find information there about what to do and where to get help if you feel you're getting bullied.

We want to make sure TSR is a safe place for everyone, and we want you to feel safe on TSR, so please let us know if you think we're doing enough to inform and protect you on the site.

For example, do you know what to do if you feel you're being bullied on TSR, or if you see someone else being bullied? Do you feel TSR is strict enough? Do you know where to ask questions about bullying or where to find information and support if you are being bullied at school or university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shooks)
    This week is Anti-Bullying Week. During this week schools, charities and the media focus on the issue of bullying to raise awareness and encourage young people to take the lead on creating a society where bullying has no place.

This is a cause we fully support. TSR is firmly committed to keep the site a safe and friendly environment, every week of the year. Check out our Anti-Bullying Week hub, to read about the measures and precautions we take against cyber-bullying. You'll also find information there about what to do and where to get help if you feel you're getting bullied.

We want to make sure TSR is a safe place for everyone, and we want you to feel safe on TSR, so please let us know if you think we're doing enough to inform and protect you on the site.

For example, do you know what to do if you feel you're being bullied on TSR, or if you see someone else being bullied? Do you feel TSR is strict enough? Do you know where to ask questions about bullying or where to find information and support if you are being bullied at school or university?
    Where would you have freedom of speech end and "cyber bullying" begin? As it is a highly grey area in some cases.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by shooks)

You know "bullying" isn't listed as one of the reasons when you report a post/message/article?

Plus the message on the post report page is a bit vague on whether bullying is something that should be reported "Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, harassment or abuse, or otherwise any rule breaking using posts, private messages, wiki pages, picture, picture comments and visitor messages. It is NOT to be used for asking a question of, or sending a message to the moderators (use AAM instead)."

Can I suggest that that would be a relatively simple measure to take that would make it clear that reporting is one way to raise bullying issues with moderation staff.

Plus making it possible for mods to turn complicated post reports into an AAM thread to discuss properly - at the moment there's no easy way to respond to a closed post report if you feel that the decision might have missed the point (eg I had to re-report an abusive PM as the abuse was in the subject line not the message content and it was overlooked when first reported).

I also think that the text on the report page is pretty unwelcoming and aggressive tbh.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Oh and I've mentioned this before but I think the ignore feature needs to be improved.

It should be closer to the "Block" feature on twitter.

At the moment if I add someone to my ignore list they can see that I've ignored them but THEY continue to see my posts. If they quote me then I don't know if that shows in the WQM widget/notifications but it's visible in the thread.

This seems to do the opposite to what is required if you feel someone is harassing you - when you block someone they shouldn't be able to see YOUR posts or quote them or PM you or leave visitor messages....and if they manually quote you in order to continue to harass you even though it's clear you want no interaction then they should be given substantial warning points/banned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Oh and I've mentioned this before but I think the ignore feature needs to be improved.

At the moment if I add someone to my ignore list they can see that I've ignored them but THEY continue to see my posts. If they quote me then I don't know if that shows in the WQM widget/notifications but it's visible in the thread.

This seems to do the opposite to what is required if you feel someone is harassing you - when you block someone they shouldn't be able to see YOUR posts or quote them or PM you or leave visitor messages....and if they manually quote you in order to continue to harass you even though it's clear you want no interaction then they should be given substantial warning points/banned
    This should definitely be the case. The Ignore function on here is a joke atm. I'm sure TSR has the capability to make it closer to what is available on Facebook or Twitter.

(Original post by PQ)
    You know "bullying" isn't listed as one of the reasons when you report a post/message/article?

This should also be made available. Personally, I haven't really had a problem with it, but I've noticed it on a lot of threads and it should be made a lot clearer that it won't be tolerated on TSR. Perhaps there should be a stickied post on it for a few weeks or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)

This seems to do the opposite to what is required if you feel someone is harassing you - when you block someone they shouldn't be able to see YOUR posts or quote them or PM you or leave visitor messages....and if they manually quote you in order to continue to harass you even though it's clear you want no interaction then they should be given substantial warning points/banned.
    This, definitely. And I think if you block someone it should block their entire IP address. Otherwise they can just make a new account and continue harrassing you!

ReputationRep:
    Bullying?! It's the internet! No one is forcing you to remain on the website and take abuse. Furthermore one should find the strength to defend themselves and not rely on others to solve their own problems.

Personally I do not have a problem with the way this site operates, I can say what I want most of the time, and most of the time I have no desire to bully people unless I believe they are being detrimental to a logical debate. Keep the freedom to bully - most people do not abuse this freedom. Don't let the minority destroy the freedoms of the majority.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I've ever seen any bullying on here. Harassment, but not bullying.

I vote 'stay the course'.

ReputationRep:
    Is there anything in requiring someone to register/link their account to a facebook/other personal site so as to prove they are a single real person? Nothing on their profile or for other people to access and nothing that could impinge on their anonymity on this site, but could help put an end to multiple accounts/spam accounts.

Or in some way instigate a twitter-ish 'blue tick' for people who have signed up with real names?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    How about dealing with the people who try to evade a perma-ban by making dupe accounts? Trolls such as xaki should not be able to come here again.

ReputationRep:
    Cyber bullying is normally accompanied by real life bullying is it not? Teach kids to log off Facebook and Twitter, go to the gym, and bloody the nose of a bully.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    Cyber bullying is normally accompanied by real life bullying is it not? Teach kids to log off Facebook and Twitter, go to the gym, and bloody the nose of a bully.
    Yeah! Violence! Because that solves everything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    TBH, I find it much easier to deal with people being twits IRL than online. IRL, you can just avoid the socially awkward losers which saves a lot of hassle, online they can follow you everywhere and bug you from behind the safety of a keyboard in their parents' basement.

ReputationRep:
    I've been "cyber bullied" in the conventional sense several times and its never actually spilled over into how I feel in my real life, at the end of the day it's the internet, don't take it seriously. The only time I had an issue was when some people I'd never met tried to find out my home address but they never managed it because I'm careful about what I write online. You have to remember anything you ever commit to the internet is there forever and I still have people digging up tweets I made months or even years ago to try and get me in trouble from time to time.

The way to avoid being affected by cyber bullying is simple - never write anything in a public forum that you wouldn't want anybody to be able to hold against you, never accept people you don't trust on social networking sites, and if you are getting abuse turn the computer off and go outside into the real world. There's a lot going on out there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Is there anything in requiring someone to register/link their account to a facebook/other personal site so as to prove they are a single real person? Nothing on their profile or for other people to access and nothing that could impinge on their anonymity on this site, but could help put an end to multiple accounts/spam accounts.

Or in some way instigate a twitter-ish 'blue tick' for people who have signed up with real names?
    A lot of people don't use facebook or Twitter anymore and what's stopping people from simply using fake names?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
    A lot of people don't use facebook or Twitter anymore and what's stopping people from simply using fake names?
    Could also use uni/college email addresses. 99% will have one or the other. And it's not massively difficult to set one up, but the extra step could just be that time consuming step that annoys spams/trolls.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah! Violence! Because that solves everything!
    No it doesn't :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    No it doesn't :confused:
    So why the hell say:

(Original post by Ggmu!)
    Teach kids to log off Facebook and Twitter, go to the gym, and bloody the nose of a bully.
    ?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Could also use uni/college email addresses. 99% will have one or the other. And it's not massively difficult to set one up, but the extra step could just be that time consuming step that annoys spams/trolls.
    That will not stop people such as TMD or Angryman...

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people aren't even in education on this site, do you want to make it only exclusive to those who are in education?

I'm not in education, I'm on a gap year but will be going to uni next year, what happens to people like me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.