The Student Room Group

Lack of motivation for study.

Hi, I'm on my A2 and I have gotten into a very bad habit of not bothering to do any homework at all, or if I do, I procrastinate until 4-5 AM which leads to rushed and sloppy work which I can't really learn from anyway.
I have been to the school counsellour for advice, and was asked to make SMART targets, which I forgot about and now, I am too ashamed at myself to even come back to her.
I've stopped going to the gym after school since I feel that I need time to do work and if I don't have much work, I sleep immediately when I get home. I am able to work better at school since there is a better atmosphere there, where at home, I'd only get sleepy, lazy and angry when I even think of doing work.
I have to adjust my thinking or I won't be able to get into my university choices, but the thing is, I really don't know how to do this. I don't want to talk to my parents about this problem; I've been through this with them and I'd rather find an external or internal way of improving myself.
When I browse the web, I tend to have a minimum of 20 tabs open; I read random wikipedia pages and forums, as well as youtube and I really can't pull myself away from this without getting very frustrated.

Has anyone else had a similar experience to mine? If so, how did you overcome your laziness?
I've found that replies such as 'you just have to focus' to be useless, if I could easily just do that, then I wouldn't still be having this problem.

Sorry if I sound rude, but I really need help.
Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Lemmington
Hi, I'm on my A2 and I have gotten into a very bad habit of not bothering to do any homework at all, or if I do, I procrastinate until 4-5 AM which leads to rushed and sloppy work which I can't really learn from anyway.
I have been to the school counsellour for advice, and was asked to make SMART targets, which I forgot about and now, I am too ashamed at myself to even come back to her.
I've stopped going to the gym after school since I feel that I need time to do work and if I don't have much work, I sleep immediately when I get home. I am able to work better at school since there is a better atmosphere there, where at home, I'd only get sleepy, lazy and angry when I even think of doing work.
I have to adjust my thinking or I won't be able to get into my university choices, but the thing is, I really don't know how to do this. I don't want to talk to my parents about this problem; I've been through this with them and I'd rather find an external or internal way of improving myself.
When I browse the web, I tend to have a minimum of 20 tabs open; I read random wikipedia pages and forums, as well as youtube and I really can't pull myself away from this without getting very frustrated.

Has anyone else had a similar experience to mine? If so, how did you overcome your laziness?
I've found that replies such as 'you just have to focus' to be useless, if I could easily just do that, then I wouldn't still be having this problem.

Sorry if I sound rude, but I really need help.
Thanks.

Well I have the same problems as you, I wouldn't say we're lazy, we just procrastinate a lot, because as you said, you can't really pull yourself away from browsing the web, so do i! Once the computer is turned on, I can never really bring myself to open the books. So the best way for me to study is to study at a place where I have no distractions (like a bed to sleep on) and where the atmosphere is suitable for studying, like the public library or school as you said you're able to work there (although I can never work at school because I'm always distracted by friends/loud noises there)

And think of the situations where you actually get accepted into your top unis, where you'll be able to spend your time partying and celebrating your extremely good results in the outcome, these things helps to motivate me to study :smile: I'm currently doing my A2 as well so all the best to the both of us!
Reply 2
Original post by summer26
Well I have the same problems as you, I wouldn't say we're lazy, we just procrastinate a lot, because as you said, you can't really pull yourself away from browsing the web, so do i! Once the computer is turned on, I can never really bring myself to open the books. So the best way for me to study is to study at a place where I have no distractions (like a bed to sleep on) and where the atmosphere is suitable for studying, like the public library or school as you said you're able to work there (although I can never work at school because I'm always distracted by friends/loud noises there)

And think of the situations where you actually get accepted into your top unis, where you'll be able to spend your time partying and celebrating your extremely good results in the outcome, these things helps to motivate me to study :smile: I'm currently doing my A2 as well so all the best to the both of us!

Well, yeah, I guess we do all procrastinate one way or another, but there is no beating me when I open a book at 7 PM and only bother to look at it at 5 AM, 2 hours before I have to go to school. The thing is, my uni choices don't really have high requirements and I don't have to stress as much as other people, but that's also causing me to be too content and I feel like an alien when other people are spending their time making notes while I have Stargate SG-1 marathons every afternoon.
Reply 3
Original post by Lemmington
Well, yeah, I guess we do all procrastinate one way or another, but there is no beating me when I open a book at 7 PM and only bother to look at it at 5 AM, 2 hours before I have to go to school. The thing is, my uni choices don't really have high requirements and I don't have to stress as much as other people, but that's also causing me to be too content and I feel like an alien when other people are spending their time making notes while I have Stargate SG-1 marathons every afternoon.

Same. Well at first, I was pretty hopeful and aimed for top or second tier universities, but then sooner or later, I realized that I wasn't capable for it so I reduce my expectations and goals lower and lower... I know your unis don't have high requirements and you're not as stressed as others are, but do you feel bad when it comes to results day and your friends are scoring flying colours while your results are meh? :s-smilie: I do... anyway, when I study, I can never study when I'm home, which is why after college or on weekends/free time, I spend my time studying at the public library. Once you're tired, you can go home and have all the well-deserved free time all you want! Well It makes me feel slightly less guilty anyway, when I've done a bit of revision :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest