Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm facing problems with my study of economics. It has always been a challenging subject for me and I didn't want to take it in the first place anyway, but my parents made me do it.

The thing is, I'm at my final year of A-level, and I need a good grade for econ to get enough UCAS points. It's not just this, but I am currently the weakest student in my economics class; I was formerly second worst, but the other guy got an A along with everyone else, while I got a B for the AS exams. Falling behind like this has really hurt my ego and confidence and I want to try to improve and be able to compete with the others and feel good when I become even smarter than them.

I find that I do have more enthusiasm during class time, but at home, I don't even want to think about economics unless I have loads of homework and when I do, I procrastinate until the wee hours of the morning. I also find it really hard to understand diagrams and the mathematical side, but I am able to understand most concepts. It's just that I find it very hard to translate those ideas to a graphical form and I tend to forget most of the ideas anyway since I'm not bothered enough to revise.

When I see my classmates making their own notes and spending hours studying, I just get frustrated and think 'I can't do that. I can't stand looking at notes for hours and hours' and yet, this causes a sense of jealousy since I still want to be better than them.
    My teacher is concerned and has given me some support and extra classes, but I am developing a habit of not doing homework and I can see that he is losing patience and is growing tired of my behaviour. I feel bad for it, but a part of me does still want to change. I think that if I can become more interested in it, then maybe I would be able to pay attention more and be more motivated to study.

The thing is, I don't have much of an interest in economics apart from participating the market in games like WoW and Runescape, and I am disillusioned at the possibility of an end to the current recession. I don't care much about what happens in the outside world and I prefer to escape into art, which I excel in and want to pursue as a career. When we had to write essays about something relating to economics, I did one about the Hanseatic league, which did interest me because it existed through the late medieval period.
    Right now, my only motivation is to study is ending this feeling of inferiority and being able to stand toe to toe with the guys who want to go to Cambridge and LSE and etc, etc. But that's not even working very well for me now.
    Is there anyone here who has any similar experiences? Can you tell me why you are studying economics? How do you make it fun? Are there any resources you can suggest?

Any help is really appreciated, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemmington)
    Hi, I'm facing problems with my study of economics. It has always been a challenging subject for me and I didn't want to take it in the first place anyway, but my parents made me do it.

The thing is, I'm at my final year of A-level, and I need a good grade for econ to get enough UCAS points. It's not just this, but I am currently the weakest student in my economics class; I was formerly second worst, but the other guy got an A along with everyone else, while I got a B for the AS exams. Falling behind like this has really hurt my ego and confidence and I want to try to improve and be able to compete with the others and feel good when I become even smarter than them.

I find that I do have more enthusiasm during class time, but at home, I don't even want to think about economics unless I have loads of homework and when I do, I procrastinate until the wee hours of the morning. I also find it really hard to understand diagrams and the mathematical side, but I am able to understand most concepts. It's just that I find it very hard to translate those ideas to a graphical form and I tend to forget most of the ideas anyway since I'm not bothered enough to revise.

When I see my classmates making their own notes and spending hours studying, I just get frustrated and think 'I can't do that. I can't stand looking at notes for hours and hours' and yet, this causes a sense of jealousy since I still want to be better than them.
    My teacher is concerned and has given me some support and extra classes, but I am developing a habit of not doing homework and I can see that he is losing patience and is growing tired of my behaviour. I feel bad for it, but a part of me does still want to change. I think that if I can become more interested in it, then maybe I would be able to pay attention more and be more motivated to study.

The thing is, I don't have much of an interest in economics apart from participating the market in games like WoW and Runescape, and I am disillusioned at the possibility of an end to the current recession. I don't care much about what happens in the outside world and I prefer to escape into art, which I excel in and want to pursue as a career. When we had to write essays about something relating to economics, I did one about the Hanseatic league, which did interest me because it existed through the late medieval period.
    Right now, my only motivation is to study is ending this feeling of inferiority and being able to stand toe to toe with the guys who want to go to Cambridge and LSE and etc, etc. But that's not even working very well for me now.
    Is there anyone here who has any similar experiences? Can you tell me why you are studying economics? How do you make it fun? Are there any resources you can suggest?

Any help is really appreciated, thanks.
    Have you attempted answering past papers, look at Paj Holden video's on youtube if you feel you aint understanding concepts.

I studied economics as I want to get into the Financial industries, I enjoy the subject alot however and I just watch video's mostly when learning stuff as I too hate reading notes. I got an A at AS from mainly videos, tutor2u and knowing the definitions in the book. There's no point worrying about the things you do know, just learn the things you dont. Past Papers are a good way of seeing where you are weak.

I got a good set of Econ Unit 3 notes on a word document if you would like me to send to you.

edit* : My interest too stemmed from Runescape xD Flip them stocks in the G.E, merch #1 #Team Phat. GP Gainzzzzzz. Then came dicing and eoc so had to quit.

ReputationRep:
    You're doing better than you think. If you've got a B grade and you don't seem to be interested in Economics. I mean in my class there are people who love it and scrape D grades.

ReputationRep:
    First and foremost, a B in Economics is by no means a bad result, it's actually quite good. As has already been mentioned PAJ Holden makes some really great YouTube video's for Economics, I also use Tutor2u which is a excellent resource for summarising topics.

I had moments of feeling like the worst in the Economics class, so I do know what you're going through.

Adopt a Churchillian spirit: "When you're going through hell keep going".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    Have you attempted answering past papers, look at Paj Holden video's on youtube if you feel you aint understanding concepts.

I studied economics as I want to get into the Financial industries, I enjoy the subject alot however and I just watch video's mostly when learning stuff as I too hate reading notes. I got an A at AS from mainly videos, tutor2u and knowing the definitions in the book. There's no point worrying about the things you do know, just learn the things you dont. Past Papers are a good way of seeing where you are weak.

I got a good set of Econ Unit 3 notes on a word document if you would like me to send to you.

edit* : My interest too stemmed from Runescape xD Flip them stocks in the G.E, merch #1 #Team Phat. GP Gainzzzzzz. Then came dicing and eoc so had to quit.
    hey there, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing your Econ 3 notes? My micro teacher is sooo incredibly terrible that I often have to study micro on my own using websites and textbooks, but I was hoping if you could share your resources too which would be very helpful and very kind if you don't mind. Thanks so much!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 5, 2013

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.