Ask a solo female traveller that travelled round USA anything... Watch

iloveusernames
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have recently come back from travelling the USA and Canada for 7 weeks. 2 of those weeks I was with family but 4 of them I spent alone. It was the first trip I've ever done solo being a 21 year old female.

The places I went were NYC -> New Jersey -> Washington DC -> Atlanta -> Alabama -> Tupelo, Mississippi -> Memphis -> Nashville -> Chattanooga -> Seattle -> Vancouver -> San Fran -> LA.

I travelled the shorter distances by coach (greyhound) and longer distances by plane. When I was in the south I was with someone else so we hired a car which is your best bet for the south.

When I was solo I stayed in hostels, and found it really easy to meet new people. There was loads of tours and events at the hostels I stayed at which was so much fun.

My favourite places I went were 1. NYC 2. Seattle 3. The south (as a collective, sorry if that's cheating)

So if there's anything else you need to ask me about my travels or being a solo female feel free to ask
Assassinn
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How much did it cost?
What was the point and did you learn anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Malevolent
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why not Massachusetts?

Also what was the worst place you went to?
Razzamoly
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What was NYC like? I've never been...
zaback21
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Which city the safest and least ? Where did you found the people nicest and least ? Any altercations or anything special to note ?
iloveusernames
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Assassinn)
How much did it cost?
What was the point and did you learn anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Err...because I wanted to travel, why else would people use this forum hah? Travelling USA has been a big dream of mine since I was little. And I learnt so much, biggest learning experience ever really. I definitely did alot of growing up as cheesy as it sounds!

I'd say the trip cost me about 4k as I did do a few tours and bought some unnecessary items. But yeah it's a pretty expensive country to travel round, it's no south east asia that's for sure.

(Original post by Malevolent)
Why not Massachusetts?

Also what was the worst place you went to?
Well it's a huge country so you can't see everything in one trip!! But one day I'll go there (my goal in life is to go to all states)

Definitely the worst place for me and I'm sorry if this offends anyone was LA. There was just nothing pretty about it, there was no nice architecture, it was dirty, everything was far apart, getting around was awful if you don't have a car, and there was so many sketchy characters on the street.

(Original post by Razzamoly)
What was NYC like? I've never been...
Well it's turned out to be my fave city in the world! It's just incredible, the architecture, the culture, the prettiness (i.e Central Park), hustle and bustle, so many things to see and do, you feel like you're in a movie and aarrrgh I just can't explain how much I love it! I must say, if you're not used to big city life or don't like city life then maybe NYC is not for you, but yeah I just wish I could be back there!

(Original post by zaback21)
Which city the safest and least ? Where did you found the people nicest and least ? Any altercations or anything special to note ?
Hmm the safest place that I felt was Seattle, even though it's a city I kind of felt it had this surbaban edge to it? And I just felt safe there walking around even though I was a lone female in a foreign city. Definitely the least safe I felt was in LA, where I stayed in Hollywood there seemed to be alot of people with mental health problems walking around talking to themselves and there was just so much sketchy characters on the street.

The nicest people I found were in the south. They were just so lovely there and their accents are to die for! But in general Americans are just super friendly and hospitable, so I don't really have any complaints about anywhere. I had a couple of grouchy subway supervisors in NYC but those were the only unfriendly people I encountered in my stay in the USA.

Being a solo female traveller I was super cautious, so I never really found myself in much trouble or sticky situations which I guess is quite lucky. Although someone got shot outside my LA hostel the day I arrived. Great introduction to the city..not.
Sgt.Incontro
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by iloveusernames)
Although someone got shot outside my LA hostel the day I arrived. Great introduction to the city..not.
That's just LA for you. What day was this shooting you speak of?
fuzznbass
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What travel card did you use and was the card good ?
iloveusernames
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I didn't use a travel card x
rockrunride
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sounds amazing, just amazing :moon:

Wish I could up sticks and just travel round a continent, but I've got a full time job and not a lot in cash at the moment so it's a way off yet. Oh to be a student again..
Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Best food you had?
WildeAboutOscar
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Majorly jealous of your adventure. Would you do it all over again? Was it how you expected it? Any disappointments or surprises?
Airfairy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am planning to do this at some point. I was gonna go with Trek America though mainly so they I can feel safer!

Did you plan everything (travel/accommodation) in advance? May sound a stupid question but some people just wing it.
goldenfish
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by iloveusernames)
I have recently come back from travelling the USA and Canada for 7 weeks. 2 of those weeks I was with family but 4 of them I spent alone.

You spent 7 weeks, 2 weeks with family, 4 alone, where's the missing week gone?
zaback21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by goldenfish)
You spent 7 weeks, 2 weeks with family, 4 alone, where's the missing week gone?
I guess moving from family to alone lol !!!
LukeM90
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Canada any good?

Also what was the best thing/place you ate at while travelling, assuming you ate out at all?

And travelling alone you must be fairly confident, brave even, were you ever scared or atleast hesitant at any time by the fact you were on your own?

And lastly, you mentioned hostels, does travelling this way make a big impact on cost?, any hints or tips you could share on budding travellers on a budget?

cheers!

good post, +rep
BWV1007
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How much did you spend for the entire trip (including souvenirs, food, lodging, transport, etc)
zaback21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BWV1007)
How much did you spend for the entire trip (including souvenirs, food, lodging, transport, etc)
I think she said something about 4K. Not sure pound or US Dollars.
iloveusernames
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Malevolent)
Best food you had?
Well USA is the capital of all things junk food, so I had such a great time sampling all the different milkshakes and frappuchinos they had! I also LOVE Taco Bell and The Cheesecake Factory. I'm a vegeterian and it wasn't a very easy to be a veggie I must admit. But highly reccomend the USA for any burger loving junk food people out there because it really is the place to be for that.

(Original post by WildeAboutOscar)
Majorly jealous of your adventure. Would you do it all over again? Was it how you expected it? Any disappointments or surprises?
HELL YES I would do it all over again, it's the best thing I have ever done and so sad it's over. I tried to not to expect anything because when you're travelling you just don't know whats round the corner. Seattle suprised me, I didn't expect it to be so nice and interesting, wish I spent more time there. I guess my dissapointment was LA I just didn't click with the city at all but I guess that's part of the fun of travelling is seeing these places for yourself and making your own mind up about them.

Also the Americans themselves suprised me as they are all so lovely and hospitable, and not as ignorant as we make them out to be.

(Original post by Airfairy)
I am planning to do this at some point. I was gonna go with Trek America though mainly so they I can feel safer!

Did you plan everything (travel/accommodation) in advance? May sound a stupid question but some people just wing it.
Yep, I planned it all a month in advance as I hate leaving things to last minute and you never know if you're going to miss out on a good hostel or not. Don't worry about "not being safe" USA is a safe contry to be in, I had no issue at all and I'm only a short shy girl.

(Original post by LukeM90)
Canada any good?

Also what was the best thing/place you ate at while travelling, assuming you ate out at all?

And travelling alone you must be fairly confident, brave even, were you ever scared or atleast hesitant at any time by the fact you were on your own?

And lastly, you mentioned hostels, does travelling this way make a big impact on cost?, any hints or tips you could share on budding travellers on a budget?

cheers!

good post, +rep
When I went I wasn't confident at all. I grew up with social anxiety disorder. Partly one of the reasons why I chose to go alone to help me break out of the social anxiety walls. And it helped me so much as my confidence has trebled because of the trip and I so glad I chose to go alone because it really helped improve me as a person. Before I left the UK I was really scared about being alone, but I knew the only way I was going to achieve my dream was to go alone as noone else wanted to travel with me so I just went for it. There would be no way I would of done a trip alone even a mere year ago! But when you're there and alone you just learn to adapt to it as you have no other choice, and it's actually quite fun really because you just get to do what you want and don't have to be on anyones watch or answer to anyone.

Yes accomandation is a big budget killer, before I went I did major hostel research to know I was getting the best for my money as some offer free breakfast, dinner, tours, discount tickets etc which can save you alot. I didn't do it this time, but next time I probably will try couch surfing because that will sure cut alot of cost down.

Canada was nice, but I definitely prefered the USA, also when I went to Canada the weather was really foggy so I couldn't see the picturesque scenery Vancouver is known for

(Original post by zaback21)
I think she said something about 4K. Not sure pound or US Dollars.
Yup, it was pounds.
fuzznbass
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What are your tips for saving money ?
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (523)
46.95%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (346)
31.06%
I don't have an opinion (245)
21.99%

Watched Threads