Advice needed on work contract & pay Watch

tom_kelly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I started working at a restaurant a few weeks ago;

Went into restaurant signed a contract saying that I will get X hours a week at £6.31 an hour.

Heard a few guys complaining about the fact that they only get minimum wage (£5.03 an hour).

Think this is strange but hold out until pay slip.

surprise surprise I've only been paid for £5.03 an hour which I've now been told is the rate of pay that I should've been paid.

However I was told when I was signing the contract that I would be paid £6.31 an hour and its clearly written in my contract that I should be getting paid £6.31 an hour!

I believe that this impacted on my decision to take this job and was wondering if there is anything I can do?

My manager currently has the contract but I took pictures of it just in case.

Of course I want to stay at the restaurant but is it understandable if I ask to be paid £6.31 for the hours I have already worked as I was expecting to be paid a certain amount?

Just want some advice really and want to know what is in my legal rights to ask for!

Cheers
Key123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tom_kelly)
So I started working at a restaurant a few weeks ago;

Went into restaurant signed a contract saying that I will get X hours a week at £6.31 an hour.

Heard a few guys complaining about the fact that they only get minimum wage (£5.03 an hour).

Think this is strange but hold out until pay slip.

surprise surprise I've only been paid for £5.03 an hour which I've now been told is the rate of pay that I should've been paid.

However I was told when I was signing the contract that I would be paid £6.31 an hour and its clearly written in my contract that I should be getting paid £6.31 an hour!

I believe that this impacted on my decision to take this job and was wondering if there is anything I can do?

My manager currently has the contract but I took pictures of it just in case.

Of course I want to stay at the restaurant but is it understandable if I ask to be paid £6.31 for the hours I have already worked as I was expecting to be paid a certain amount?

Just want some advice really and want to know what is in my legal rights to ask for!

Cheers
How old are you?

Sounds like a classic case of HR sticking a name on something and not reading the rest of the contract.

Just a note- I wouldn't have handed back the contract. A photocopy, yes.. An original, no

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pipsico
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You absolutely have grounds to raise a grievance about it! It is written in the contract and contractually enforceable.

I'm no law grad or anything, but this is breach of contract 101 surely? If you were to challenge them and they dismissed you for it, you could take them to a tribunal over it. Hopefully someone more law-orientated can give you a better answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
tom_kelly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Key123)
How old are you?

Sounds like a classic case of HR sticking a name on something and not reading the rest of the contract.

Just a note- I wouldn't have handed back the contract. A photocopy, yes.. An original, no

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm 19.

Ah the thing is it was in their file cabinet and she left it there for the manager to sort out in the morning!

I was meant to be given a spare but never received it
Pipsico
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tom_kelly)
I'm 19.

Ah the thing is it was in their file cabinet and she left it there for the manager to sort out in the morning!

I was meant to be given a spare but never received it
Yeah it looks like a HR mistake with your age. You've been put in the wrong min wage age band in your contract.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Portia1993
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
File a complaint, you both will have signed the contract so they've agreed to pay you said amount and you've agreed to receive said amount.
Massive faux pas by them for not checking it...
Deffo get a spare and make sure you hold onto the pics you have of it
Failing them agreeing to pay you said amount, take them to a tribunal - It's a binding contract so you have every right to receive that money
tom_kelly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Portia1993)
File a complaint, you both will have signed the contract so they've agreed to pay you said amount and you've agreed to receive said amount.
Failing them agreeing to pay you said amount, take them to a tribunal - It's a binding contract so you have every right to receive that money
Thing is I want to keep working for them so I'm not sure it would really be worth going through all that for like £90 as the manager will probably get annoyed?

Will see what she says today as she hasn't yet said that they refuse to pay me that amount.
FlavaFavourFruit
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You should always request a contract for yourself to keep

Definitely raise this issue with your manager.
Hedgeman49
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Portia1993)
And then after the tribunal OP will likely be released from the contract and not have a job at all, for chasing about £100...

This is clearly a clerical error, you should raise it with management as a point of clarification but don't go in demanding money
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (132)
25.1%
The paper was reasonable (232)
44.11%
Not feeling great about that exam (100)
19.01%
It was TERRIBLE (62)
11.79%

Watched Threads