Does anyone work while they are at university Watch

Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am going to university next year (hopefully, anyway) and I am debating whether to leave my work or not. I may be able to just work part-time but just wondering if students are surviving without employment on their loans? I will still be living at home, so I have to pay rent and possibly my car - but it looks like I am selling it anyway. Is it hard? I am worried as I can tend to get frustrated with too much workload - but I will be OK with my uni work, I have a lot of workload with my course now anyway.
SilverstarDJ
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Your workload will depend on your course, uni, and how 'smart' you work and how much money you are happy to live off. You will probably have time to do a bit of part time work in 1st year and it'll be something to add on your CV as well. Perhaps see how things go, you can always sign up for a few shifts and ask your boss to increase/decrease it/do overtime if you can once you find out how much work you have. If worst comes to worst you can simply hand in a resignation and quite part way through uni.

I tend to work over the holidays whenever I can rather than term time, but have friends who do.
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do work, but I'm very lucky in that my employer doesn't make you work set shifts, and you don't have to work if you don't want to.

It's all going to depend on what your income is, what your outgoings are relative to your income, how far you're commuting, if you've got placement, time of year and how efficient you can be at doing your work.
gutenberg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I worked nearly all the way through my degree, apart from a few months in second year. I confined myself to working at weekends though, leaving weeknights free for school work/other stuff. I found I could manage it fine, but then mine was a humanities course, so I didn't have that many contact hours that I had to work around, I just had to make sure that I did the required reading etc alongside work. I won't lie, it did suck sometimes to go to work, come home & then have to finish off an essay or something, but having the extra money was useful. I found it did sometimes curtail my social life a little, but most activities I was involved in met during the week at uni, so I didn't miss out on that much by having to work. I found it made me more efficient, in that I knew I wouldn't have all the weekend to catch up so I had to try make sure most of my work was done during the week.

If you've been in your job for a while, you could be lucky in that your employer is prepared to be flexible to your requests for particular days etc. fit around your schedule; I was lucky that way too, my employer was unbelievably obliging when it came to my schedule, and didn't ask me to work weeknights.
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Term time working can cause issues if your lecture times etc vary from week to week, or you're expected to work over the hours of your contract. Uni work isn't steady, so you may have lots of time to work over the summer, but really struggle at exam time.

I worked during first and second year, as I was able to secure a job with my university, which gave me a bit more flexibility and an understanding employer. I also temped/got holiday work over the summer period (part of which was a quiet time at my university job). In third year, I have chosen not to work, as I was worried about keeping up with the work load, and my schedule meant keeping my previous job would be difficult. I also wanted to go away during the summer to collect data for my dissertation, and was worried this would clash with job, so I decided to leave.

I was lucky to have built up savings in the year before going to university which means I don't have to work during third year, and I have the option of living at home and commuting in (which saves me a lot of money). Presumably you are not paying comercial rent to your parents, so you will be better off than some students.
GoingToBurst
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I work during term time and quite frankly, it's a pain in the backside. I love my job, however when it comes to assignment hand in dates etc it can get really stressful. I'm doing 7 day weeks right now, so it'll be nice to get a bit of a break come christmas time. I'm doing 20 hours a week, but I firmly believe that the recommended 12 hours a week is better. I'd happily cut down if my company offered a lower contract than what I'm on.

A couple of tips for if you do plan on working during term time:
- Use your time between lectures wisely. Don't spend 3 hours in a cafe chatting to your friends when you could be using that time to get things done.
- Make sure your friends don't expect you to be able to do all of the social things they're doing, because you won't really have time to.
- If someone is moaning about not having enough time to get things done, despite having 3 days a week off and going out clubbing 4 nights a week/spending 4 days a week hungover, then try to refrain from ripping their head off.
hollo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would recommend having a job, at least for the first couple of years. I really like working but I also think that it means you balance your time a lot better and you're more productive in general. For example, if I have reading to do and work at 5 I'll really focus myself to get it done. If I wasn't working, I would probably drag it out for hours procrastinating and doing other things.

This time is also great for building up job experience which is really useful for the future. Loads of employees will be happy to take on a student with minimal work history because they know they'll be reliable. The extra money will also come in handy for little extras. I'm fortunate that my parents contribute enough that I don't need my earning to live, so I'm putting aside half in the hope that I can avoid a loan in my final year and keeping the rest in an account for stuff like christmas and hopefully a holiday!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (3)
42.86%
The paper was reasonable (0)
0%
Not feeling great about that exam... (1)
14.29%
It was TERRIBLE (3)
42.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise