Leather vs suede boots Watch

Ice_Queen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey all,

I need a new pair of ankle boots and I have found a pair I like online. I don't drive, so I would be doing a fair amount of walking in them (into town is about 1.4m and to the pub is about 1.6m).

I like these boots in both suede and leather, but I am unsure whether leather would be the better option simply because of the amount of walking I do, as it would probably be a bit more hard-wearing.

Leather
Suede

Opinions? Thanks x
carrotstar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oooh very nice!

I've worn Clarks shoes all my life and have found that leather is more hard wearing, waterproof, and looks newer for longer because they are easier to take care of, what with being able to polish them. One thing I would say though is that I find leather shoes lose their shape quite quickly. Also, the leather tends to stretch, so don't buy a pair which are loose when you buy them or they'll be too big in a years time!

If you do decide on suede, try not to sit cross-legged where the weight of your foot on the side of the shoe as this wears down the side and changes its colour darker in a patch - not a good look haha. Also, use a protective spray as soon as you get them to help waterproof them and reduce tide marks from salted paths. One bonus of suede is (as my Dad found out) that when they get scruffy and you feel like it's time to give them up, if you give them a really good polish the suede will disappear and they will be like a new pair of shiny leather shoes in the same colour of the suede. Weird, I know, but really works!

Hope that helps!
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by carrotstar)
Oooh very nice!

I've worn Clarks shoes all my life and have found that leather is more hard wearing, waterproof, and looks newer for longer because they are easier to take care of, what with being able to polish them. One thing I would say though is that I find leather shoes lose their shape quite quickly. Also, the leather tends to stretch, so don't buy a pair which are loose when you buy them or they'll be too big in a years time!

If you do decide on suede, try not to sit cross-legged where the weight of your foot on the side of the shoe as this wears down the side and changes its colour darker in a patch - not a good look haha. Also, use a protective spray as soon as you get them to help waterproof them and reduce tide marks from salted paths. One bonus of suede is (as my Dad found out) that when they get scruffy and you feel like it's time to give them up, if you give them a really good polish the suede will disappear and they will be like a new pair of shiny leather shoes in the same colour of the suede. Weird, I know, but really works!

Hope that helps!
Excellent advice, particularly about the protective spray. You can buy rubber or wire bristled brushes to give then a good brush to keep them looking good, and a kind of hard block of rubber to remove more difficult stains. (Also, according to an email that landed in my inbox this week, there's 30% off online at Clarks at the moment, though I don't know if those particular ones are included.)
Ice_Queen
Rep:
?
(Original post by carnationlilyrose)
Excellent advice, particularly about the protective spray. You can buy rubber or wire bristled brushes to give then a good brush to keep them looking good, and a kind of hard block of rubber to remove more difficult stains. (Also, according to an email that landed in my inbox this week, there's 30% off online at Clarks at the moment, though I don't know if those particular ones are included.)
Yes, there is a discount on them I never buy cheap shoes, but I do try and go for the better quality ones when they are on offer.
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ice_Queen)
Yes, there is a discount on them I never buy cheap shoes, but I do try and go for the better quality ones when they are on offer.
Clarks are good shoes. Go for it.
Scoobster
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Honestly, though I do prefer them, suede will get trashed this time of year. Once the snow and rain properly starts coming down it'll only take one bad day of weather ruin them. Accidentally get splashed from a muddy puddle and you'll never get them back to their original colour. Go for the leather boots, much more hard-wearing and they'll last throughout the whole of winter through to spring without a hitch!
Ice_Queen
Rep:
?
Decisions decisions My mom says she might buy me a pair for Christmas, so I could buy the leather ones now and wait until Christmas for the suede ones, which I could then wait until Spring to use?

I just left my job so I am trying to stay within a budget at the moment, but I love shoes
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Leather is easier to keep looking decent and the lighter the suede, the higher maintenance it is.
Scoobster
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ice_Queen)
Decisions decisions My mom says she might buy me a pair for Christmas, so I could buy the leather ones now and wait until Christmas for the suede ones, which I could then wait until Spring to use?

I just left my job so I am trying to stay within a budget at the moment, but I love shoes
Hah bless you, I'm kinda in that same predicament at the moment but with my phone. I left my job 2 weeks ago to focus on my masters and my iPhone broke yesterday so I don't know whether to spend my own, (limited!) money now to buy a new one or hold out until Santa visits at Christmas at get my Dad to buy it
Ice_Queen
Rep:
?
(Original post by Scoobster)
Hah bless you, I'm kinda in that same predicament at the moment but with my phone. I left my job 2 weeks ago to focus on my masters and my iPhone broke yesterday so I don't know whether to spend my own, (limited!) money now to buy a new one or hold out until Santa visits at Christmas at get my Dad to buy it
Well due to the circumstances in which I left, I am actually being paid until the end of January (as a lump sum with my November pay packet). I am focusing on my exam for my CIMA now, which is on Thursday, then I am going to take ten days off, then search for a new job. As long as I get one by mid-January I shouldn't have a problem...
harryden
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Leather shoes is better option according to me because leather shoes are always better then other shoes...So go for leather shoes..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (189)
22.74%
The paper was reasonable (383)
46.09%
Not feeling great about that exam... (154)
18.53%
It was TERRIBLE (105)
12.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise