Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I was wondering... if I get a 1st line helpdesk support job what is the best way to direct my career from there to get a programming job?

I graduated in Computer Science with a 2:2 about 6 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    By applying for completely different jobs.

Don't think you'll be sat next to programmers. you might as well be working on a cheese stall market.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    By applying for completely different jobs.

Don't think you'll be sat next to programmers. you might as well be working on a cheese stall market.
    But don't some of these roles involve scripting in Shell for example or is that a rare thing? I've seen a few 2nd line support roles that involve programming.

So actually what I meant to say was:

1st line support -> 2nd line support -> entry level programming job.

ReputationRep:
    The reason I am thinking of taking this route is because I've been applying (junior java and entry level programming) for 2 months and getting nary a reply.

I have written a few programs. TicTacToe, Pong and then Tetris for android. Then I put this on the web and added a link to my CV but it's not been working.

Now I am panicking and thinking of going into helpdesk because I need a job and I read in an earlier thread that it's a common way to get into IT.

ReputationRep:
    I did a placement in 2nd line support for my degree and it was very un-software engineery. However, it would be far more appropriate than say, working at Tesco, to a software engineering job. One thing I noticed while being interviewed for some part time jobs earlier this year was that some companies don't want a developer who can't interact or do anything except develop. Developing skills in troubleshooting, helping users, speaking to customers, stuff like that, could be valuable in a smaller company where the developer has to take on all those sorts of roles.

If you do get a helpdesk job you should do some development in your own time otherwise it'll get less and less likely that you'll appeal as a developer. Also, the less reading off a script and more actual troubleshooting the work involves, the better.

ReputationRep:
    It is very rare you would be doing any form of coding on a 1st line helpdesk. Typically you will be either "logging n flogging" the incidents to 2nd line, or running pre-programmed fixes.

Our 1st line helpdesk guys do not have any access to create and run their own scripts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jombo123)
    Hi I was wondering... if I get a 1st line helpdesk support job what is the best way to direct my career from there to get a programming job?

I graduated in Computer Science with a 2:2 about 6 years ago.
    Just get a GitHub profile with some code on it and contribute to open source to prove you can really code. TicTacToe, Pong and Tetris aren't going to cut it.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.