The Student Room Group

What is a good starting salary after graduation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by magnetite
You're supposed to insult me and start a petty argument.

But yeh they are. AUD4LYFE

Whats the exchange rate?
Not hard to look it up...

AUD / GBP0.5564

AUD/GBP 0.5564
Original post by -=|Jay|=-
I started on £19,000 in Korea where living costs are lower.

Going to have saved £20,000 in 2 years, enabling me to fund my masters.

Anyone and everyone willing to relocate to South Korea can do the same. You WILL get a job if you want one.

Hi! I'm in my third year now and I'm thinking of teaching English in South Korea. How did you apply? And did you need a TEFL qualification? Because I know it's a requirement for some. And how are you finding it?

Sorry for the barrage of questions btw!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by x-Saffire-x
Hi! I'm in my third year now and I'm thinking of teaching English in South Korea. How did you apply? And did you need a TEFL qualification? Because I know it's a requirement for some. And how are you finding it?

Sorry for the barrage of questions btw!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied through a 3rd party, what's known as a 'recruiter' - Footprints. But I'd recommend applying directly through epik.go.kr.

You don't need a tefl qualification if your degree is in English.

It's a very comfortable life, that's one thing I can say about it.
Reply 104
I applied through a 3rd party, what's known as a 'recruiter' - Footprints. But I'd recommend applying directly through epik.go.kr.

You don't need a tefl qualification if your degree is in English.

It's a very comfortable life, that's one thing I can say about it.

Is there like a group of you out there? is it not difficult to make friends?
I got £22k after graduating ( well started a week after my final exam!) into a full time role.

After 6 months (November), I asked my boss that I would like to be paid the going rate for a graduate job at the company (c£25k). I clearly demonstrated my skills and what I had achieved in the short time span. I was turned down so.....

I then looked around and a month later got accepted for a new job. My manager wasn't expecting me to leave so quickly, but if they don't wish to pay the going rate, I'm off! I was held for the full 3 months notice period which was rather painfull! Thus I left the company with 10 months working for them.

My new job was on £28k and I was there for around 15 months. At the end of the 15 months I was approached on linkedin for a new job and it was my ideal dream job. I took them up on their offer and we negotiated £38k. I've been here for a few months and enjoy the job alot.

I've had many different options in my short career and what my example has shown, that if your willing to jump, so will your pay and experience.

If I had got on a graduate scheme (I did apply for several but didn't get), I would assume I would have been on £30k after finishing the grad scheme after two years. Therefore I actually believe, that my salary now is higher than a graduate scheme and I have the additional benefit of working for several firms in the industry (lots of contacts and local knowledge).

My experience also shows, that my first employer should have responded to my request and offered me the £3k pay increase. I actually met my boss the other day and he's quite impressed at where I am. (I'm sure's he is now wishing he had increase my salary earlier).

And finally, this also shows it is worth signing up on Linkedin
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 106
Original post by simonhill11
I got £22k after graduating ( well started a week after my final exam!) into a full time role.

After 6 months (November), I asked my boss that I would like to be paid the going rate for a graduate job at the company (c£25k). I clearly demonstrated my skills and what I had achieved in the short time span. I was turned down so.....

I then looked around and a month later got accepted for a new job. My manager wasn't expecting me to leave so quickly, but if they don't wish to pay the going rate, I'm off! I was held for the full 3 months notice period which was rather painfull! Thus I left the company with 10 months working for them.

My new job was on £28k and I was there for around 15 months. At the end of the 15 months I was approached on linkedin for a new job and it was my ideal dream job. I took them up on their offer and we negotiated £38k. I've been here for a few months and enjoy the job alot.

I've had many different options in my short career and what my example has shown, that if your willing to jump, so will your pay and experience.

If I had got on a graduate scheme (I did apply for several but didn't get), I would assume I would have been on £30k after finishing the grad scheme after two years. Therefore I actually believe, that my salary now is higher than a graduate scheme and I have the additional benefit of working for several firms in the industry (lots of contacts and local knowledge).

My experience also shows, that my first employer should have responded to my request and offered me the £3k pay increase. I actually met my boss the other day and he's quite impressed at where I am. (I'm sure's he is now wishing he had increase my salary earlier).

And finally, this also shows it is worth signing up on Linkedin

I'm guessing you have quite an impressive linkedin profile, or you are very active on the network to have been noticed by a recruiter. Not ideal for everyone, I personally don't like linkedin, feels like a dating site, but instead of dates its for employment.
Reply 107
lol it gets me everytime! some people think just cos you have a degree you will walk straight into a job, well done for falling into the govermnet's and school's higher education trap.
Original post by Zoombini
Is there like a group of you out there? is it not difficult to make friends?

If you go with EPIK then you'll join an organized group at an orientation for 9 days. There are so many facebook groups that exist for the different cities in Korea. In a couple of my city's groups there are more than 4000 people!!! This is usually just expats too (or Koreans who can speak English).

This is with public school. If you join a Hagwon (don't) then you'll probably be working alongside other foreigners so I wouldn't worry at all.
Reply 109
Original post by mimi112
man or woman?

Well give a figure for each.
I started on £19,000 in Korea where living costs are lower.

Going to have saved £20,000 in 2 years, enabling me to fund my masters.

Anyone and everyone willing to relocate to South Korea can do the same. You WILL get a job if you want one.

I wanna try living in Seoul, is it easy to find a job as an English-speaking software engineer with enough motivation to learn the language?
Original post by JM1987
lol it gets me everytime! some people think just cos you have a degree you will walk straight into a job, well done for falling into the govermnet's and school's higher education trap.

You've got the words right out of my mouth, I completely despise these types of people!
Especially 2.1 or 1st graduates from either Oxford or Cambridge and they act like they're more clever and important...well if you're THAT clever how come you're still unemployed and on benefits?
(edited 7 years ago)
30k and then just keep bunny hopping around every three years for a 40+ salary and then just stay where I am at that point
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
I wanna try living in Seoul, is it easy to find a job as an English-speaking software engineer with enough motivation to learn the language?

Why bump a 3 year old thread tho

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending