Turn on thread page Beta

What is a good phone to get for university watch

ReputationRep:
    I will start university next year and my old phone I have had for 3-4 years is dying out so I definitely need a new phone before I go to university. Just wondering what are the top 5 phones to buy atm I am looking for something £30 or less which had unlimited internet/1GB internet. I am a big internet user, I don't mind the minutes, and I need minimum 300 texts a month.

I want a phone that has a good camera, good apps, good phone to view documents such as excel and word. Also something which will last 4-5 years at least I want this phone to last at least 4 years.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I would highly recommend a Samsung phone, especially the Samsung Galaxy S3 which I currently have at the moment.

The S4 is perhaps a little more expensive - I don't really know if it's better (it has a bigger screen than the S3) but the S3 is such a handy device with easy internet navigation on a more than decent screen size.

I've had mine for about 9 months now, and nothing's broken (touch wood) so far. Just be sure to keep it in a sturdy case to protect it and it will last for a really long time.

By the way, please don't get an iphone. They are so fragile and so incredibly overrated. Don't follow the crowd!

Check out the Carphone Warehouse website where you can do comparisons with other phones. They have some really good deals there.

Good luck on your search and take care!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Definitely not an iPhone and this is coming from an iPhone fanboy. The reality of the iPhone is that after just a year of use, the two vital buttons got broken quite easily and my iPhone 5 is getting there quite quickly. Even if you don't manage to break it, the iPhone will eventually become so slow that it will be virtually unusable in about 2-3 years.

ReputationRep:
    Contrary to what the previous two posters have said, iPhones are supported for longer than any Android phone, and in most cases do have better build quality - most phones break due to carelessness anyway, not due to the phone itself.

However no matter which phone you choose today, it will be incredibly out of date in 4-5 years, the technology is advancing so quickly.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I would suggest a Samsung as well. I have been using them for years (before they became 'cool') and I've never had any trouble with any of them. I've got the Galaxy Ace 2 at the moment and it does exactly what I need it to do - browsing the Internet (really, Google, Wikipedia and Facebook...), a good selection of apps, and less than £15/month. For £30 you could definitely go a couple of steps higher and get the S3 or something of that nature.

Why don't you go to a phone shop and play around, see which ones you like the feel of?

ReputationRep:
    Buy a decent phone (or keep your old one) and then get on GiffGaff for your 'contract'- it's dead cheap, reliable and will save you money overall. If you're looking into phones I have an LG Nexus 4 which is great - Nexus 5 has just come out so maybe you want to upgrade to that or pick up a cheaper Nexus 4. There are other phones but they start to get really expensive to buy a high spec handset so you'd need to have some cash up front.

ReputationRep:
    iPhones get longer software support than pretty much any Android device (the exception being the Nexus series of phones). I've had multiple software updates in the 9 months I've had my iPhone 5, including iOS7, compared one in the whole 18 months of owning a Galaxy S2.
    You can get some pretty good phones for about £30 a month on two years contracts, meaning you don't need to worry about the phone lasting 3-4 years. The HTC One has some great reviews and is down to about £30/month, Galaxy S3 and S4 are pretty good, as is the LG G2 and Sony Xperia Z1 (but they're probably out of your price range), and also take a look at the Nexus 5.

Go to billmonitor.com and use the calculator to find the best contract deals. Just input how many minutes, calls and how much data you want, pick a phone and it does the rest for you.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get an Apple, it's fragile and has a bad ****ing navigation system. Get something stern, I'd recommend an Android. Handy to have study apps, take away apps and stuff! Also, you'll need good navigation cause you'll be moving into a new city or a new area. It'll be good to record your lessons or whatever too.

ReputationRep:
    Are you wanting a really top-of-the-line, flagship device or would you settle for a cheaper, mid-range device?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scratchyjam)
    Are you wanting a really top-of-the-line, flagship device or would you settle for a cheaper, mid-range device?
    top of the line phone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ineedtorevise127)
    top of the line phone
    So what are the most important things in a phone for you? I know you've said you want a phone "with good camera, good apps, good phone to view documents such as excel and word"...

but what about things such as battery life, expandable storage, speed, display? will you be wanting to use your phone for a lot of media consumption i.e. internet, music etc. or just to take good pictures, have good access to apps and be able to view documents?

ReputationRep:
    So what are the most important things in a phone for you? I know you've said you want a phone "with good camera, good apps, good phone to view documents such as excel and word"...

but what about things such as battery life, expandable storage, speed, display? will you be wanting to use your phone for a lot of media consumption i.e. internet, music etc. or just to take good pictures, have good access to apps and be able to view documents?

Both really but I don't mind the expandable storage/battery life as I have a rechargeable battery which should work for most devices/

ReputationRep:
    Both really but I don't mind the expandable storage/battery life as I have a rechargeable battery which should work for most devices/
    So i'm guessing you want a phone with a removable battery then? And is 30 quid the max you'd pay monthly?

ReputationRep:
    So i'm guessing you want a phone with a removable battery then? And is 30 quid the max you'd pay monthly?
    nah don't mind removable battery I''ve got an external battery pack

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PowerGen-Ext.../dp/B005VBNW2G

Around £34 maximum month

ReputationRep:
    Xperia Z1, LG G2, or the Nexus 5 and get a contract separately, there's the note 3 but it's huge.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    nah don't mind removable battery I''ve got an external battery pack

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PowerGen-Ext.../dp/B005VBNW2G

Around £34 maximum month
    There's so many top tier phones that you could get really. But i'd recommend getting LG G2 or Nexus 5, since they're cheaper than most of the other flagships and are absolute monsters. Only problem is that they have no microSD slot, but if you feel you could live with 16/32GB internal storage, then they are definitely two brilliant phones.

Like Ibraheem said, it's best to by the phones SIM free, then buy a SIM only contract. As if you're wanting to keep a phone for 4-5 years, then you'll save so much more money. And you can often get better traiff deals on SIM only contracts and can cancel them whenever you want. However, you'd have to fork out at least 300 quid + up front. Definitely worth it though IMO

Have a look at reviews on youtube by Marques Brownlee. He does some really accurate, concise, unbiased reviews that will give you an idea about which phone suits you

ReputationRep:
    There's so many top tier phones that you could get really. But i'd recommend getting LG G2 or Nexus 5, since they're cheaper than most of the other flagships and are absolute monsters. Only problem is that they have no microSD slot, but if you feel you could live with 16/32GB internal storage, then they are definitely two brilliant phones.

Like Ibraheem said, it's best to by the phones SIM free, then buy a SIM only contract. As if you're wanting to keep a phone for 4-5 years, then you'll save so much more money. And you can often get better traiff deals on SIM only contracts and can cancel them whenever you want. However, you'd have to fork out at least 300 quid + up front. Definitely worth it though IMO

Have a look at reviews on youtube by Marques Brownlee. He does some really accurate, concise, unbiased reviews that will give you an idea about which phone suits you
    But a lot of people can't afford that

I need a new phone and i can afford to spend £400 for the LG G2. I do think going on a sim only deal is better as you are not tied down...but what if you can't afford to do that?

ReputationRep:
    Has to be a galaxy s4, s3 or a note if you have big pockets.

I got a brand new S4 free handset unlimited calls, minutes and a gig of internet for 29.60 a month on vodafone

I just replaced my SII whos feeling her age bless her, but shes held up for atleast 2 years of being dropped, bumped and generally badly treated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwsomePossum)
    Has to be a galaxy s4, s3 or a note if you have big pockets.

I got a brand new S4 free handset unlimited calls, minutes and a gig of internet for 29.60 a month on vodafone

I just replaced my SII whos feeling her age bless her, but shes held up for atleast 2 years of being dropped, bumped and generally badly treated
    what about the htc one?

also is the note 3 that big?

ReputationRep:
    You should check out the new Moto G (by motorola).

It's been getting very good reviews and it's at a good price too :yy:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/13/m...ffordable-and/

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.