Turn on thread page Beta

Too much time in the internet?!?!?! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Well, here is the issue:
    I started my A Levels in September with the plan to be so motivated and do things when they need doing. However, this kind of hasn't worked out...
    I know this is my own fault but I'm just the biggest procrastinator in the universe. I am determined to get good grades and tell myself every day that I won't be successful if I don't put in the effort now. But even this doesn't motivate me.
    Anyway, I feel the main reason for my procrastination (actually, probably the only reason) is the internet. I am on it practically every second of the day that I am at home. Even when I do decide to do work, I'll realise I need it for research, which is fine but I'll end up going on Facebook and YouTube etc instead. My parents constantly tell me off for being on the internet ALL. THE. TIME. And it's even making me slightly depressed but for some reason I still carry on doing it?
    So I guess what I'm asking here are several questions. How much time do you spend on the internet? Do you think if I carry on the way I'm going I can still achieve good grades? (I can guess the answer to that last one) and how do you keep focused on work and NOT the internet? :confused:

(p.s. I am aware this is quite a hilarious post to make)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Procrastinator10)
    Well, here is the issue:
    I started my A Levels in September with the plan to be so motivated and do things when they need doing. However, this kind of hasn't worked out...
    I know this is my own fault but I'm just the biggest procrastinator in the universe. I am determined to get good grades and tell myself every day that I won't be successful if I don't put in the effort now. But even this doesn't motivate me.
    Anyway, I feel the main reason for my procrastination (actually, probably the only reason) is the internet. I am on it practically every second of the day that I am at home. Even when I do decide to do work, I'll realise I need it for research, which is fine but I'll end up going on Facebook and YouTube etc instead. My parents constantly tell me off for being on the internet ALL. THE. TIME. And it's even making me slightly depressed but for some reason I still carry on doing it?
    So I guess what I'm asking here are several questions. How much time do you spend on the internet? Do you think if I carry on the way I'm going I can still achieve good grades? (I can guess the answer to that last one) and how do you keep focused on work and NOT the internet? :confused:

Work in a library or in after school hours. Deactivate Facebook, and YouTube

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxKINGxxx)
    Work in a library or in after school hours. Deactivate Facebook, and YouTube
    I do try to work in the library as much as possible but I use Facebook to contact certain friends, and deactivating YouTube would probably not solve the problem thanks for the advice though!

ReputationRep:
    I do try to work in the library as much as possible but I use Facebook to contact certain friends, and deactivating YouTube would probably not solve the problem thanks for the advice though!
    Guessing you are the female me lol. I atleast try to get 2 hours of work done a day as I want to go into medicine, but yeah, TSR, Youtube, FB, and a few other things are my worst enemies, I could imagine how clever I would be, if these devices weren't invented. Just try and focus, GL!

ReputationRep:
    Give a friend your various passwords and tell them to change them all on you so you can't log on until you've done x amount of hours per day.

Also install child-site blockers to block things like YT so you can't get on them.

Finally, initiate some self-control. The internet is not the be all and end all of the world. I let the internet get in the way of my Leaving Cert. and I got terrible grades and didn't get into the course I wanted. Don't repeat my mistake.

ReputationRep:
    Well, here is the issue:

Aah I procrastinate everything, I had the same talk with myself at the beginning of year, determined to get homework done on time and such... Yeah, that hasn't really worked out:")

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same situation! I try to do 45 mins work, and then let myself go online, but it is so distracting! An idea is if you need the internet for research then do this on a school computer, as it will block Facebook and YouTube, so you won't get distracted? Sorry I can't be of much help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by finnthehuman)
    Guessing you are the female me lol. I atleast try to get 2 hours of work done a day as I want to go into medicine, but yeah, TSR, Youtube, FB, and a few other things are my worst enemies, I could imagine how clever I would be, if these devices weren't invented. Just try and focus, GL!
    I think the same! Imagine life without those sites, but that's a good idea to set yourself a time Wow, you must be very clever anyway if you want to do medicine?! Good luck to you too

(Original post by musketeer)
    Give a friend your various passwords and tell them to change them all on you so you can't log on until you've done x amount of hours per day.

Also install child-site blockers to block things like YT so you can't get on them.

Finally, initiate some self-control. The internet is not the be all and end all of the world. I let the internet get in the way of my Leaving Cert. and I got terrible grades and didn't get into the course I wanted. Don't repeat my mistake.
    I have thought about doing this! I'm not thaaaaat bad, when I get into the work I'm doing I start to enjoy it and oh no, I'm sorry to hear that. Everything okay now though?

ReputationRep:
    I have thought about doing this! I'm not thaaaaat bad, when I get into the work I'm doing I start to enjoy it and oh no, I'm sorry to hear that. Everything okay now though?

If you're finding you're doing more internet than work, you're that bad Just give it a try, there's no harm in experimenting!

Yeah, everything's fine now, I've graduated from a degree that really suited me down to the ground, loved it far more than I would've done my chosen course so I was EXTREMELY lucky!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Venus fly trap)
    I'm in the same situation! I try to do 45 mins work, and then let myself go online, but it is so distracting! An idea is if you need the internet for research then do this on a school computer, as it will block Facebook and YouTube, so you won't get distracted? Sorry I can't be of much help!
    Ahaha, that's a good idea I do find I do soo much more work whilst at school (using their computers). I tried to go a day having only one hour on the internet. Did. Not. Work.

ReputationRep:
    I think the same! Imagine life without those sites, but that's a good idea to set yourself a time Wow, you must be very clever anyway if you want to do medicine?! Good luck to you too

I did kind of bad, for a medical applicant anyway, in GCSEs so because I did no revision (spent my time on my beloved laptop) and now I atleast set some targets, but some subjects like History, are really hard to revise for lol

ReputationRep:
    If you're finding you're doing more internet than work, you're that bad Just give it a try, there's no harm in experimenting!

Yeah, everything's fine now, I've graduated from a degree that really suited me down to the ground, loved it far more than I would've done my chosen course so I was EXTREMELY lucky!!
    Ahah good point and wooow, that is very lucky indeed! Aw, well I'm glad it turned out okay for you

I did kind of bad, for a medical applicant anyway, in GCSEs so because I did no revision (spent my time on my beloved laptop) and now I atleast set some targets, but some subjects like History, are really hard to revise for lol
    Ah, I do feel like I've gotten better since my GCSE's! Oh gosh, history does sound awful ahah what did you get for your gcse's?

ReputationRep:
    Ahah good point and wooow, that is very lucky indeed! Aw, well I'm glad it turned out okay for you

Ah, I do feel like I've gotten better since my GCSE's! Oh gosh, history does sound awful ahah what did you get for your gcse's?
    I got AAAAAABBD(forced to hell to do french and got a D lol), really quite bad for a Medicine applicant, but then again it's really bad for TSR, so I guess most of you guys got much higher than me lol.

ReputationRep:
    I got AAAAAABBD(forced to hell to do french and got a D lol), really quite bad for a Medicine applicant, but then again it's really bad for TSR, so I guess most of you guys got much higher than me lol.

This is seen as bad grades? Ohh my....

ReputationRep:
    This is seen as bad grades? Ohh my....
    Go to the medicine thread lol and see for yourself how they are.

ReputationRep:

Ohhhh sorry, I thought you meant in general. Nearly had a heart attack!!

ReputationRep:
    Ohhhh sorry, I thought you meant in general. Nearly had a heart attack!!
    Lol yeah most people have a string of A* but I got none lol.

ReputationRep:
    Haha agreed, (medicine applicant too!!) but TSR is so biased! It's not a true representation at all of the majority!
    Massive procrastinator too, I find asking for a bit of extra work/setting myself deadlines for exercises works?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lol yeah most people have a string of A* but I got none lol.
    Dont worry, just try your best at your A levels and try to do as much work experience, volunteering etc as possible to make your application stand out. They really aren't that bad! If you really want something you can get it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonGreeky)
    Haha agreed, (medicine applicant too!!) but TSR is so biased! It's not a true representation at all of the majority!
    Massive procrastinator too, I find asking for a bit of extra work/setting myself deadlines for exercises works?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't really procrastinate though, when I usually set a time I do it. But for history, no matter how much I do(I do a lot), I still get the crappy old grade, the rest of the people get without doing nothing. Losing motivation for it lol.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.