Exams required for US colleges admission... Watch

REASON_Lighters
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

In terms of academia, are 4 A Levels, SAT I, and a minimum of 3 SAT II subjects tests enough?

Or is more needed such as ACT and a greater number of A Levels.

I do have an account on CC, but many are unfamiliar with a person from a UK applicant and that is why I am asking here.

Thanks all

-N
Kat12395
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by REASON_Lighters)
Hi,

In terms of academia, are 4 A Levels, SAT I, and a minimum of 3 SAT II subjects tests enough?

Or is more needed such as ACT and a greater number of A Levels.

I do have an account on CC, but many are unfamiliar with a person from a UK applicant and that is why I am asking here.

Thanks all

-N

Yeah, should be plenty. You definitely only need to do the SAT OR the ACT, not both, and A-Level numbers aren't really that important. Just do well on the SATs you're taking / have taken and you should be fine!
REASON_Lighters
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kat12395)
Yeah, should be plenty. You definitely only need to do the SAT OR the ACT, not both, and A-Level numbers aren't really that important. Just do well on the SATs you're taking / have taken and you should be fine!

Oh right thank you, very helpful
feyy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Also note that if you're looking for a top college, you want to be taking what is seen as the most "rigorous" course load for your school. If your peers at your school are taking 6/7 A Levels and you're "only" doing 4, you're not going to be as competitive an applicant.
REASON_Lighters
Rep:
?
(Original post by feyy)
Also note that if you're looking for a top college, you want to be taking what is seen as the most "rigorous" course load for your school. If your peers at your school are taking 6/7 A Levels and you're "only" doing 4, you're not going to be as competitive an applicant.
Yeah thanks only 4 other people are found 4 a levels at my school

Posted from TSR Mobile
emobambam
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kat12395)
hello I live in America. I grew up in a California school system.to get into a good university here SAT is mandatory.a lot of a California Teachers think you should take both the SAT and ACT.if you're looking to get into a lower quality University they only require a ACT test.
REASON_Lighters
Rep:
?
(Original post by emobambam)
hello I live in America. I grew up in a California school system.to get into a good university here SAT is mandatory.a lot of a California Teachers think you should take both the SAT and ACT.if you're looking to get into a lower quality University they only require a ACT test.
Oh right, do you know which month they test for ACT?

I am looking at Ivy leagues, would they be okay with just the SAT or would you need the ACT too.
emobambam
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by REASON_Lighters)
Oh right, do you know which month they test for ACT?

I am looking at Ivy leagues, would they be okay with just the SAT or would you need the ACT too.
I have no idea when the tests are.Ivy League schools probably want both unless you got a really high score on the SAT.Ivy League schools are really tough to get into
Ivy League schools have a lot of competition.there's so many good universities in the United States.you should always send in an application to multiple schools.when I was in high school they only offered the SAT and ACT test twice a year.
feyy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have no idea when the tests are.Ivy League schools probably want both unless you got a really high score on the SAT.Ivy League schools are really tough to get into
Ivy League schools have a lot of competition.there's so many good universities in the United States.you should always send in an application to multiple schools.when I was in high school they only offered the SAT and ACT test twice a year.
Ivy Leagues want both the SAT1 and 2 Subject Tests if I remember correctly. (If you submit just one, your application will be incomplete and you won't be considered.) I think Yale takes completed A Levels (not predicted results or AS Levels) as substitutes for subject tests.
emobambam
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by feyy)
Ivy Leagues want both the SAT1 and 2 Subject Tests if I remember correctly. (If you submit just one, your application will be incomplete and you won't be considered.) I think Yale takes completed A Levels (not predicted results or AS Levels) as substitutes for subject tests.
like she said haha
EmmaBxoxo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
like she said haha
Hey,

I want to apply to Ivy league unis. Just wanted to ask you in your opinion should I do both the ACT and SAT I, and how many subject tests do you think I should take.

Thank you.
feyy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by EmmaBxoxo)
Hey,

I want to apply to Ivy league unis. Just wanted to ask you in your opinion should I do both the ACT and SAT I, and how many subject tests do you think I should take.

Thank you.
I definitely think you should start off doing a timed, exam condition practice paper for both the SAT1 and the ACT. (I regret not trying the ACT, personally.) Then, use the percentiles/conversions to find out which test you're better at, or use intuition to decide which you prefer. Then you should focus your practice on that one test.

For the Ivies, you need at least 2 Subject Tests, but I recommend taking 3 as an international as it's possible to do 3 in one sitting and you kinda want to "prove" that you're qualified because our education systems are different. Luckily for me my A Levels matched what subject tests there were (Literature, French, Maths2,) But I know that it can be difficult to line them up, so it's not "bad" to only do 2.
EmmaBxoxo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by feyy)
I definitely think you should start off doing a timed, exam condition practice paper for both the SAT1 and the ACT. (I regret not trying the ACT, personally.) Then, use the percentiles/conversions to find out which test you're better at, or use intuition to decide which you prefer. Then you should focus your practice on that one test.

For the Ivies, you need at least 2 Subject Tests, but I recommend taking 3 as an international as it's possible to do 3 in one sitting and you kinda want to "prove" that you're qualified because our education systems are different. Luckily for me my A Levels matched what subject tests there were (Literature, French, Maths2,) But I know that it can be difficult to line them up, so it's not "bad" to only do 2.

Oh right, thank feyy, I will have a go at that

Yeah thats true. Do you think 3 tests is the maximum that should be taken though for subject tests

Thanks.
feyy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh right, thank feyy, I will have a go at that

Yeah thats true. Do you think 3 tests is the maximum that should be taken though for subject tests

Thanks.
3 tests is by no means the maximum. If you feel you can do more and do well, do more. It certainly will help you.
EmmaBxoxo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by feyy)
3 tests is by no means the maximum. If you feel you can do more and do well, do more. It certainly will help you.
Ah right I see.

Lastly - is there any point in doing subject tests, after I have sent off my application. I mean will it be looked at/considered after I get the result back.
feyy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah right I see.

Lastly - is there any point in doing subject tests, after I have sent off my application. I mean will it be looked at/considered after I get the result back.
It all depends on the timing. Say, you hit send to School A in October, and their last accepted testing date is December. If you take a November test, and send it to them, it will still be considered.

I'm not sure if that's what you're asking, though!
EmmaBxoxo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by feyy)
It all depends on the timing. Say, you hit send to School A in October, and their last accepted testing date is December. If you take a November test, and send it to them, it will still be considered.

I'm not sure if that's what you're asking, though!
Yep thats what I was asking thanks.

Oh right, I have seen this on various uni sites, does this mean that if as you said the last accepted testing date is December, then taking subjects tests then would be fine or not. Sorry for asking you so many questions. :rolleyes:
feyy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yep thats what I was asking thanks.

Oh right, I have seen this on various uni sites, does this mean that if as you said the last accepted testing date is December, then taking subjects tests then would be fine or not. Sorry for asking you so many questions. :rolleyes:
Don't apologise, haha. The answer is yes. You can do the Subject Tests on their last testing date. That's totally fine.
EmmaBxoxo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by feyy)
Don't apologise, haha. The answer is yes. You can do the Subject Tests on their last testing date. That's totally fine.
Oh right, thats good
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (306)
31.03%
The paper was reasonable (398)
40.37%
Not feeling great about that exam... (159)
16.13%
It was TERRIBLE (123)
12.47%

Watched Threads