Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I once read about N8 cube molecule. Calculations predicted its existence, but was it already synthesized? I can't find enough data on the Internet, but I would like to use it as an example in my assignment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prested)
    I once read about N8 cube molecule. Calculations predicted its existence, but was it already synthesized? I can't find enough data on the Internet, but I would like to use it as an example in my assignment.
    The molecule you're referring to is called octaazacubane. I've done a journal search and can only find references to theoretical studies of it and no actual syntheses. The expectation that it would make an extremely powerful explosive might be putting some people off....

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the answer, That's what I was looking for. I'll still need to look for an example of molecule/compound that was predicted using theoretical chemistry and then synthesized though. Nevertheless, thanks for making this clear.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the answer, That's what I was looking for. I'll still need to look for an example of molecule/compound that was predicted using theoretical chemistry and then synthesized though. Nevertheless, thanks for making this clear.
    I think that's what the fullerenes nobel prize was awarded for (predicted then later found in nature)

ReputationRep:
    I'll scrutinize this idea ASAP . I wasn't aware they were found thanks to the calculations made earlier.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by BJack)
    The expectation that it would make an extremely powerful explosive might be putting some people off....
    I am sure it puts some other people on
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    To keep with the explosive theme: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octanitrocubane

ReputationRep:
    I did read about this molecule, wasn't sure about the theoretical chem. application here. Thanks.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    If you count computational calculations, modelling enzyme active sites will predict the size and shape of any inhibitor that can be synthesised. It's relatively new, so there may not be much around, but may be worth taking a peek into

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, after all it is a substantial part of theoretical chemistry, I guess (and thus it is sometimes separated). I will do take it into consideration. Thank you.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.